Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apologies to Jerry RE: CS5 Beta  (Read 8147 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Apologies to Jerry RE: CS5 Beta
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:28 pm »

Quote from: hcubell
It was not my intention to "attack" Mr. Schewe "for" his apology. The apology was appropriate under the circumstances(though it was diluted by blaming Adobe).

Fair enough.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

bjanes

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 05:01:45 pm »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
I see no problem that the work shown was of "poor" quality or not up to guru standards. Photoshop has been used by "all walks of life", from total beginners to masters of the universe. And I will not go here judging where Jerry's work is on that scale, as it is irrelevant for the point I am making: ANY skill level examples are welcome (for us, average users) as they show what an average user can achieve with CS5, even with limited skills. The same concept is often used in modern advertising: common people starring in commercials, rather than professional actors, as it is believed public would find it easier to identify with them.
I'm not a PS beta tester, so I don't have much knowledge of content aware fill or how Jerry accomplished the edit is his post, but I think the point of the post was not to show his skill in Photoshop, but rather how the edit could be done with the new tool by those lacking skill or not wanting to take the time to do the edit manually. As such, the "lack of skill" criticism misses the point.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:03:20 pm by bjanes »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 08:31:18 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
<snip>.....

My comments for Jerry were basically, you’re more interested in telling any and all in the various forums you’ve got a beta. I think that’s accurate especially when he replied on the NAPP forums:
Please let we beta testers enjoy our moment.

I apologize I didn’t let Jerry bask in his moment. The idea that some users of questionable skills and time to learn a beta should show before and after examples with no means to say anything about the process is an Adobe decision. The idea that one person would post in at least 3 other forums the same images of questionable processing quality in the course of a day, make me feel this person is more interested in tooting his own horn than aiding Adobe. Nothing has changed that opinion. But its only one opinion and we know the old saying about opinions. That I questioned his status to talk about the product initially does deserve an apology based on the facts I now know about the special NDAs for a group or users. For that I again apologize for jumping on Jerry. Otherwise, the quality of the work, and the over usage of censorship doesn’t. FWIW, there were far better quality before and after examples in the NAPP forum that followed Jerry‘s, obviously from people who I believe wanted to present quality examples rather than post for the sake of posting. And as far as I’m aware, Ive seen none outside the member only NAPP forums.
This is so not an apology, but simply furthering the attacking and belittling.
And being a beta tester has nothing to do with one's artistic ability either. It's to do with giving valuable and constructive feedback on a product in development, as well as being good at bug reporting and analysis of the issues that will invariably arise as a result of the software being a work in progress.
Besides most of the books showing people how to use software are usually written by people who are not very talented at using the software in question. Photoshop books for example are usually full of substandard photography and lame graphic designs.
Martin Evening being a rare exception and Jeff Schewe was also a successful commercial photographer before moving towards software/writing.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »

Quote from: jjj
And being a beta tester has nothing to do with one's artistic ability either. It's to do with giving valuable and constructive feedback on a product in development, as well as being good at bug reporting and analysis of the issues that will invariably arise as a result of the software being a work in progress.

Martin Evening being a rare exception and Jeff Schewe was also a successful commercial photographer before moving towards software/writing.

I agree on both points.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:11 am »

Quote from: jjj
books for example are usually full of substandard photography and lame graphic designs.

Martin Evening's book on Lightroom is top class. And there are some pretty nifty still-life photos by Jeff in there too. I tend to take notice of people who can cut the mustard, abrasive style notwithstanding.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

nma

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 09:12:16 am »

I do not write to chastise  Mr. Schewe; I want to commend Mr. Schewe for his apology to Jerry.  The tone of the apology is so much more appropriate than is usual in Mr. Schewe's posts. Like some others, I thought that putting some of the blame on problems at Adobe diluted the apology to Jerry (and to the other readers of  this forum.) We are all responsible for how we say things; who among us does not wish he/she had been more careful? We all have a responsibility to act in a collegial and constructive fashion, even when we are making a point about something that lies squarely in our expertise. I think that it is even more incumbent upon Mr. Schewe to behave responsibly, since he has a commercial relationship with the owner of LuLa.

Finally, I just want to say, again, that it was really a very nice gesture and I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:12:41 am by nma »

mkravit

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »

I never post to these type of discussions, but feel that after reading this discussion I must.

I really believe that as a public figure who publishes alot of good information, Mr Schewe might want to consider his abrasive posture. I am sure he is a nice guy, but to the casual reader his comments come off as arrogant and borish. As a result, I very regularly find myself backing our of a discussion after reading my Schewe's short and arrogant comments.

I read his aplogy and really must agree that it is not an apology when it has justification and throws the blame elsewhere. A sincere apology is just that, sincereity for ones actions unconditionally expressed. Otherwise, it is an excuse.

Just my two cents as I am just saying.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 08:40:36 pm »

C'mon, give Jeff a break. The way he freely shares his vast experience here on LL in my mind makes up multiple times for his sometimes harsh style and now perceived feeble appology.
I just smile when I read some of his posts, I think he means well and might bark a bit, but for sure he doesn't bite.  
pieter, aka pegelli

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 12:52:29 am »

Quote from: pegelli
C'mon, give Jeff a break. The way he freely shares his vast experience here on LL in my mind makes up multiple times for his sometimes harsh style and now perceived feeble appology.
I just smile when I read some of his posts, I think he means well and might bark a bit, but for sure he doesn't bite.  

I totally agree. 

Several posts in this thread sound as if they are trying to out-harsh Jeff. It seems to me as if Adobe should be the one apologizing to its beta testers for some bad communication. Jeff was quite right, in my opinion, to accept his own part of the blame while pointing out that Adobe had been playing by two sets of rules for two sets of beta testers without letting either group know of the others' rules.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up