Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imagine...  (Read 5257 times)

Rob C

Imagine...
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:11 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Let me tell you a thing about American Graffiti.

Those final mid-fifties Scottish schooldays with lunch breaks spent in cafés sipping Coke in the local Italian who had the best Bal Ami around; Stupid Cupid, Ko Ko Mo, Earth Angel, Sixteen Candles... Jeez, I'm getting goose bumps already along with that friggin' lump in my throat. You Americans carry a serious responsibility.

Music can have a hell of a strong influence on your life. I remembered tonight that I had a sleeve with a dozen 6x6 slides in it that I couldn't scan because I don't have anything bigger than for 35mm. By chance I put on a Sixties compilation CD and before I knew it I had pulled out a tripod, stuck up my old Kodak transparency viewer, fashioned a black card mask and fitted up the camera with my 105 Micro. I shot a series around nine or ten of the images and put them in the computer. Tomorrow I shall see if they are any good going that route. Without the music I'd never have thought of the images nor the solution (I hope the solution) to my problem. One thing: it isn't easy trying to copy pics you shot through a Softar - they never look crisp... worse, Ektachrome seems to have suffered more fading than Kodachrome ever did.

Rob C

Okay, as a continuation of the above, here's a version of one of those old pictures.

It was shot in October '72 for the 1973 Barbour Threads Calendar - a Northern Ireland company - and destined to be a small in-plant production (worse luck...) but which did serve to foster further work there and elsewhere.

It was on a 'blad 500C and with a Sonnar 150, to the best of my memory. I don't think I used a Softar on this one, though.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:27:42 am by Rob C »

fredjeang

Imagine...
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 04:24:56 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
In a way, something like this?

Sony had a 4K 56 inch fine art screen on display at the CP+ in Japan a few weeks back, meaning a resolution of about 8 megapixels.

Cheers,
Bernard
Hi Bernard,
Yes I saw your interesting article.
Do you think that we could reasonably expect this technology being available for homes in about 15 years?

Fred.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:25:21 pm by fredjeang »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Imagine...
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 08:01:24 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi Bernard,
Yes I saw your interesting article.
Do you think that we could reasonably expect this technology being available for homes in about 15 years?

Fred,

I see them coming a bit faster than that. Frankly speaking, I would not buy stock from printer companies as a long term investment.

Now the only concern is the mainstream trend among CE companies. I see them going very quick towards 3D and they might in fact never really invest enough in very high quality 2D displays...

Cheers,
Bernard

fredjeang

Imagine...
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:59 am »

I agree Bernard,

3D is going to be the player for the coming years.
Good news all these movements, good news.

Cheers,

Fred.

Ben Rubinstein

Imagine...
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 11:45:32 am »

If you like that kind of thing..

fredjeang

Imagine...
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:17 pm »

Quote from: Ben Rubinstein
If you like that kind of thing..
Ben, I think that one does not kill the other.
The other day, I saw a 2m size B&W portrait made with 35mm Pan film and developped in traditional dark room.
I was amazed by the grain, the vibration, the quality, everything.
To be honest, I have not seen such an artistic quality output with digital, although I suspect that it can be acheived.
I may post a specific question about that to the wet-room and films gurus here.

Now, the digital screen for art display, also is something that I'm very interested in.

Cheers,

Fred.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up