Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Imagine...  (Read 5260 times)

fredjeang

Imagine...
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:53:21 pm »

Spring 2025.

I just bought an art work from Michael Reichmann.
After receiving the payment through secured web, he sent me the work to download with ultra-fast connection.
It is a mix of images, stills and motions from different locations: Antartica, Rain forest and some night shots stills.
This work has been prepared by him to fit the dimensions of my livng room wall-screen, 6.50 meters length and 3 meters high.
The instalation is immediate, thanks to the inboard screen digital connection.  
I've purchased a 5 years duration option. It means that in 5 years, the art work will automatically being unusable.
But for the moment, I can enjoy it the way I want.

For example, I can choose the series with the touch-screen. I particulary like the river movie in the rain forest, the sound of the water relaxes me
and the light is impressive. According to the time of the day and the activity, I choose what best fits my mood. The Antartica serie is maybe not the most indicated for intimate moments, though my girlfriend loves it but I often display this movie in the morning.
The sound have the same quality as the images and I can choose different settings for both. When I open the windows and light comes in, the screen adjust itself the parameters to keep quality of vision intact.

December 2045.

Michael is really old now    but with the progress of medecine and health care from the government, he is still on the race and still gives workshops and finally drive a Lambo:rolleyes:
I decide to suscribe to a workshop about the old techniques of printing. You remember, when we use to have these enormous plotters and tints?
But I wanted to come back to the source to taste what real photography was about.
No need to fly to Toronto that have merged with Detroit and managed to plant genetically modified palm trees in the streets. The beaches are now tropical since the global warming took place and it does not snow any more there. Toronto's girls are walking in digital bikinis that change colors and patterns.
Back in the lesson.
My Motorola Mobile phone displays a mini-Michael in 3D made of electrons that gives me live instructions of how to use the dinausor Phase P65 on the field. Very primitive gear but exciting moment. All the work shop is given in different locations. Okay, the sound is not that great, a little on the high frecuency but it works perfectly. Michael will print the files sent wireless and return back to each participant by space-mail. I'll have my prints on paper (on paper!! do you beleive that?) very soon.

The only thing that misses here, is: and the beers at the bar?

Fred.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:02:58 pm by fredjeang »

Ben Rubinstein

Imagine...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:17:47 am »

And suddenly the Mona Lisa isn't worth anything because it isn't digital. Yeah Right. The day I put up a digital display in my house is the day that you will never see. There is more to appreciation of art than 'cool'.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Imagine...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:07:04 am »

Hi,

The future is bright, stop down two steps....

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: fredjeang
Spring 2025.

I just bought an art work from Michael Reichmann.
After receiving the payment through secured web, he sent me the work to download with ultra-fast connection.
It is a mix of images, stills and motions from different locations: Antartica, Rain forest and some night shots stills.
This work has been prepared by him to fit the dimensions of my livng room wall-screen, 6.50 meters length and 3 meters high.
The instalation is immediate, thanks to the inboard screen digital connection.  
I've purchased a 5 years duration option. It means that in 5 years, the art work will automatically being unusable.
But for the moment, I can enjoy it the way I want.

For example, I can choose the series with the touch-screen. I particulary like the river movie in the rain forest, the sound of the water relaxes me
and the light is impressive. According to the time of the day and the activity, I choose what best fits my mood. The Antartica serie is maybe not the most indicated for intimate moments, though my girlfriend loves it but I often display this movie in the morning.
The sound have the same quality as the images and I can choose different settings for both. When I open the windows and light comes in, the screen adjust itself the parameters to keep quality of vision intact.

December 2045.

Michael is really old now    but with the progress of medecine and health care from the government, he is still on the race and still gives workshops and finally drive a Lambo:rolleyes:
I decide to suscribe to a workshop about the old techniques of printing. You remember, when we use to have these enormous plotters and tints?
But I wanted to come back to the source to taste what real photography was about.
No need to fly to Toronto that have merged with Detroit and managed to plant genetically modified palm trees in the streets. The beaches are now tropical since the global warming took place and it does not snow any more there. Toronto's girls are walking in digital bikinis that change colors and patterns.
Back in the lesson.
My Motorola Mobile phone displays a mini-Michael in 3D made of electrons that gives me live instructions of how to use the dinausor Phase P65 on the field. Very primitive gear but exciting moment. All the work shop is given in different locations. Okay, the sound is not that great, a little on the high frecuency but it works perfectly. Michael will print the files sent wireless and return back to each participant by space-mail. I'll have my prints on paper (on paper!! do you beleive that?) very soon.

The only thing that misses here, is: and the beers at the bar?

Fred.
Erik Kaffehr

fredjeang

Imagine...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:27 am »

Quote from: Ben Rubinstein
And suddenly the Mona Lisa isn't worth anything because it isn't digital. Yeah Right. The day I put up a digital display in my house is the day that you will never see. There is more to appreciation of art than 'cool'.
Hi Ben,
What's got to do?
You'll always have original paintings and photographies. In Reina Sofia museum, there are video art next to paintings on canvas. One is not detroying the other. Think that the Leonardo work was revolutionary in its time.
About digital display, I'm sure you will. I'm ready to bet my hat with you, and you'll see it 3D. The advantages are enormous.
Ok, my story might be a little naive, but I'm sure it is not that wrong.

Fred.

Rob C

Imagine...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:22:16 am »

Spring 2025.

I received a blast from Fred, a short burst of enthusiasm about some wall implants that he had sourced from Canada. It wasn't what I had expected at all: the last I had heard about Mr R, as he has been known in the years since 20011, was that he had retired to his province near the Lakes and couldn't be parted from his new baby, the twenty-five metre Reichmann-Riva that was delivered to him the week following his purchase of the old Sarnico company. It will go down in the annals of boating history that when asked why such a relatively short boat, Mr R replied, without a smile: hey, it is a lake!

It had long been rumoured that Mr R was thinking of creating some fresh artworks (I had never believed it, personally) but his purchase of the combined Leica, Getty and Condé Nast Print Galleries really had been well documented as describing a sort of moral dividing line between supply, demand and the ethical balance of the different factors that had come into play almost immediately after the infamous acquisitions. To be fair, it had indeed resulted in the ending of any new MR originals. But, if absolute power... well, would I or Fred have behaved differently?

Fred had mentioned that his interest in Fotos Antartica had sprung from a sentimental relationship with fish and the long-vanished ice-cap, but I hadn't imagined he would have exchanged credits for the feeling; after all, one ice-cap is much like another and I would have though he'd have sufficient frosty personal images from his Absolut Vodka assignments. Oh well, one man's goddess is another's serving wench.

December 2045.

Still on the water, Mr R is now driving a Lamborghini-powered super zero displacement Sport Diablo which doubles as second tender to his latest Reichmann-Riva touring palace. (Speaking of tenders, imagine having one if you called your principal boat Tumescent.) However, having eschewed the Lakes, Mr R is currently happily ensconced at historical Lyford Cay in New Providence, Bahamas, where his old-but-reconstructed neighbour James 'Sean' Bond is long-serving Scottish Nationalist Member of Parliament for the Bahamian branch of the Scotch Whisky Federation, whose amazingly successful (and cunning) strategy for the reverse take-over of the Suntory empire caused such a fuss after the '08 Depression. (Less generous spirits have blamed the Mr R departure from Toronto on the infamous power-cutting escapade when all the electronically clad bikini girls were suddenly left exposed when the WiFi power supply failed. I understand Mr R denied all involvement in the disaster, even though Mr Bond did lose a bundle on the subsequent collapse of Virtual Emperor Clothing. But, some people say that it was strange that the usually reclusive Mr R was to be seen lurking in doorways with his ancient M9 in his hands at the very moment when the lights went out ... I make no comment.

Oh, I just remembered. Russ has won the freshly reintroduced Schneider Trophy in that old Sabre Jet that he bought from Ray who had discovered it in a garage in Bangkok. That's what you get for chasing transvestite pictures: bargain aircraft!

Coffee calls. But damn, I gotta make my own.

; - (

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:27:37 am by Rob C »

Rob C

Imagine...
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 05:24:39 am »

Think that the Leonardo work was revolutionary in its time.

Fred.

Well, as they say, you can't make a career out of a single movie!

Rob C

fredjeang

Imagine...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:28:34 am »

Rob, I almost drop my real cofee on my primitive computer!
Starting the day laughing is great.

Thanks a lot.

FRed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:20:48 am by fredjeang »

Ben Rubinstein

Imagine...
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 07:46:07 am »

Hi Ben,
What's got to do?
You'll always have original paintings and photographies. In Reina Sofia museum, there are video art next to paintings on canvas. One is not detroying the other. Think that the Leonardo work was revolutionary in its time.
About digital display, I'm sure you will. I'm ready to bet my hat with you, and you'll see it 3D. The advantages are enormous.
Ok, my story might be a little naive, but I'm sure it is not that wrong.

Fred.

I'll take your bet. Seriously. Yeuch.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Imagine...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:24:00 am »

You chaps have got too much time on your hands. Now come on, get those cameras out . . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

DarkPenguin

Imagine...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:54:33 am »

Crack kills.

fredjeang

Imagine...
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:51:23 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Crack kills.
It's not crack.
I blame the weather.
Rob and I are facing the worst winter and spring ever recorded here.
Yesterday I was looking at Lisa's web galleries, and fall on the French Polynesian serie...
Wish I had one of these geant digital screen and put the volume of the coral sea to suppress the rain sound.

Fred.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Imagine...
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 11:24:37 am »

November 2013

Alas Alack... I used to have a job until the camera manufacturers finally gave in and placed a combination Mirror LockUp and Reverse Video button on their cameras. This allows the recording of S-HD video & audio from both sides of the camera simultaneously - all in 3D and 7.1 sound. Every breath and murmur of the Photographer's Presence is recorded along with the Actual Shot and is immediately posted to breathless Subscriber's WallScreen Libraries.

Ah well, back to the study of Hebridean peat.

DarkPenguin

Imagine...
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 11:29:38 am »

Quote from: Chris Sanderson
November 2013

Alas Alack... I used to have a job until the camera manufacturers finally gave in and placed a combination Mirror LockUp and Reverse Video button on their cameras. This allows the recording of S-HD video & audio from both sides of the camera simultaneously - all in 3D and 7.1 sound. Every breath and murmur of the Photographer's Presence is recorded along with the Actual Shot and is immediately posted to breathless Subscriber's WallScreen Libraries.

Well, between that and Adobe Premiere's Content Aware Editing.

schrodingerscat

Imagine...
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 12:22:34 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Well, as they say, you can't make a career out of a single movie!

Rob C

George Lucas?

DarkPenguin

Imagine...
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
George Lucas?

Willow or Howard the Duck?

Actually he made two great films - Star Wars and American Graffiti.

Rob C

Imagine...
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:30 pm »

Quote from: Chris Sanderson
November 2013

That's a pretty cool study, Chris; you could do worse than work in the Scotch industry. Cheers!

Rob C

Rob C

Imagine...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Willow or Howard the Duck?

Actually he made two great films - Star Wars and American Graffiti.

Let me tell you a thing about American Graffiti.

I never did see it in the movies, but a few times on the TV. One particular night my wife and I were staying at my mother's house and the two ladies had wandered off to their bedrooms and I was left alone downstairs with AG about to show again. Would you believe a grown guy in his fifties could just burst into tears for lost youth that then semed such a long, long distant dream? It was the music, the innocence, the optimism behind the innocence. (I think the bit that bit was the Wolfman Jack segment at the radio station.) Now, without either of those women, I don't think I could even watch. But if it comes on again, I will at least greet it with a DVD!

Those final mid-fifties Scottish schooldays with lunch breaks spent in cafés sipping Coke in the local Italian who had the best Bal Ami around; Stupid Cupid, Ko Ko Mo, Earth Angel, Sixteen Candles... Jeez, I'm getting goose bumps already along with that friggin' lump in my throat. You Americans carry a serious responsibility.

Music can have a hell of a strong influence on your life. I remembered tonight that I had a sleeve with a dozen 6x6 slides in it that I couldn't scan because I don't have anything bigger than for 35mm. By chance I put on a Sixties compilation CD and before I knew it I had pulled out a tripod, stuck up my old Kodak transparency viewer, fashioned a black card mask and fitted up the camera with my 105 Micro. I shot a series around nine or ten of the images and put them in the computer. Tomorrow I shall see if they are any good going that route. Without the music I'd never have thought of the images nor the solution (I hope the solution) to my problem. One thing: it isn't easy trying to copy pics you shot through a Softar - they never look crisp... worse, Ektachrome seems to have suffered more fading than Kodachrome ever did.

Rob C

Jeremy Payne

Imagine...
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 05:56:56 pm »

If my memory serves, Lucas pioneered "depth of sound" in this film ... blending ambient and soundtrack in ways never done before ...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Imagine...
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 07:16:59 pm »

Spring 2025.

In a way, something like this?

Sony had a 4K 56 inch fine art screen on display at the CP+ in Japan a few weeks back, meaning a resolution of about 8 megapixels.

Cheers,
Bernard

DarkPenguin

Imagine...
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 08:33:33 pm »

Cool.  Had to throw it into my netflix queue.  (With the length of that queue I'll see it in about 13 years.)

I never did see it in the movies, but a few times on the TV. One particular night my wife and I were staying at my mother's house and the two ladies had wandered off to their bedrooms and I was left alone downstairs with AG about to show again. Would you believe a grown guy in his fifties could just burst into tears for lost youth that then semed such a long, long distant dream? It was the music, the innocence, the optimism behind the innocence. (I think the bit that bit was the Wolfman Jack segment at the radio station.) Now, without either of those women, I don't think I could even watch. But if it comes on again, I will at least greet it with a DVD!

Those final mid-fifties Scottish schooldays with lunch breaks spent in cafés sipping Coke in the local Italian who had the best Bal Ami around; Stupid Cupid, Ko Ko Mo, Earth Angel, Sixteen Candles... Jeez, I'm getting goose bumps already along with that friggin' lump in my throat. You Americans carry a serious responsibility.

Music can have a hell of a strong influence on your life. I remembered tonight that I had a sleeve with a dozen 6x6 slides in it that I couldn't scan because I don't have anything bigger than for 35mm. By chance I put on a Sixties compilation CD and before I knew it I had pulled out a tripod, stuck up my old Kodak transparency viewer, fashioned a black card mask and fitted up the camera with my 105 Micro. I shot a series around nine or ten of the images and put them in the computer. Tomorrow I shall see if they are any good going that route. Without the music I'd never have thought of the images nor the solution (I hope the solution) to my problem. One thing: it isn't easy trying to copy pics you shot through a Softar - they never look crisp... worse, Ektachrome seems to have suffered more fading than Kodachrome ever did.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up