Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temporary Blurring of Images  (Read 7324 times)

hubell

Temporary Blurring of Images
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:00 pm »

Using Capture 5.1, I find that each time a make an an adjustment to a raw file(P65) such as exposure or saturation adjustments., the image goes blurry for about 3-4 seconds. This cannot be "normal" behavior. Any ideas why this may be happening. I tried it on two separate Mac Intel Pro Desktops with the same result.
TIA.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:26:33 pm »

Are you zoomed in?

Nill

hubell

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:59:48 pm »

Quote from: Nill Toulme
Are you zoomed in?

Nill

Yes.

Nill Toulme

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:57:45 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think when you zoom in it's either generating a new preview or actually converting that portion of the image and redoes that when you apply certain adjustments.  So I do think what you're seeing is normal behavior at least in terms of what you see, but if it's literally 3-4 seconds that seems very long to me.  It does the same on my not very up to date Windows XP system, but not for nearly so long as that.

Nill

hubell

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:43:15 am »

Quote from: Nill Toulme
I'm not sure, but I think when you zoom in it's either generating a new preview or actually converting that portion of the image and redoes that when you apply certain adjustments.  So I do think what you're seeing is normal behavior at least in terms of what you see, but if it's literally 3-4 seconds that seems very long to me.  It does the same on my not very up to date Windows XP system, but not for nearly so long as that.

Nill

Nill, I timed it more accurately and it's more like 2-3 seconds, but still, it is very dysfunctional behavior for a raw conversion program. Makes it very difficult to use the sliders for subtle adjustments. I don't recall any of the other raw converters that I have used doing the same thing. If it's not a bug, it should be. Was this the case with 4.0?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:50:31 am by hcubell »

Nill Toulme

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 10:24:25 am »

I don't know as I skipped from v3.7.9 to v5.1.  All I can tell you is that I observe similar behavior on my Windows installation, and agree that it can be aggravating when making fine adjustments while zoomed in.

Nill

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »

It's normal behavior --- it's how the program lets you know it's applying the adjustments you made and re-rendering the preview to reflect those adjustments. You can speed it up by setting the preview size smaller in prefs --- try 1200 or so.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:08:34 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

tho_mas

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:49:17 pm »

hmh... on my machine the redraw is clearly less than a second. half a second or so. even when I start editing a file in a new session that is still creating previews.
when I am are working within the same crop (at 100%) the redraw is instant (i.e. literally no lag).
Nehalem Mac Pro with Snow Leopard here.

hubell

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:27:43 pm »

Thanks, Jack. I tried reducing the preview size and it did not appear to make any difference. I never recall seeing this effect with Phocus, ACR or Raw Developer. Perhaps it's just me, but I really find it to be disruptive to making fine adjustments.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:42 pm »

Quote from: hcubell
Thanks, Jack. I tried reducing the preview size and it did not appear to make any difference. I never recall seeing this effect with Phocus, ACR or Raw Developer. Perhaps it's just me, but I really find it to be disruptive to making fine adjustments.

Once you reset the preview size, you need to nuke the cache folder inside the session to get all new, smaller previews.  It will rebuild the next open...
Jack

hubell

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »

Thanks, Jack. What size would you suggest, 1200 ppi? They are set to 1400 ppi now.

Persio

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:09 am »

From your first post you mention you are dealing with a P65 Raw file. If I am not mistaken this is a very large file and you may be hitting some processing power limitation.

Persio.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
It's normal behavior --- it's how the program lets you know it's applying the adjustments you made and re-rendering the preview to reflect those adjustments. You can speed it up by setting the preview size smaller in prefs --- try 1200 or so.

The time that C1 takes to re-render an image varies but can take up to 3-4 seconds on my computer.  It is one of the minor annoyances of working with the program.  Lightroom, in comparison, shows adjustments almost instantaneously.

Rob

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 04:26:26 pm »

Thanks, Jack. What size would you suggest, 1200 ppi? They are set to 1400 ppi now.

I use 1200, but not sure 1400 is enough more to make much difference.  On my 3 year old 2-core MBP with 6G ram it takes maybe 1 second to re-render an image I adjust.  On my 2 year old 8-core Mac Pro with 24G ram, it is well under a second -- maybe about 1/4 sec or so.  

If it's taking longer than that at 1200, then I would suspect you are somehow hardware constrained.  Could be your system specs or maybe your graphics card? Also, are the images you are reading stored on a local drive?  If you are reading/writing to a USB external drive for example, I'd suspect that would slow things down significantly...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:28:27 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

hubell

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:05:54 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
I use 1200, but not sure 1400 is enough more to make much difference.  On my 3 year old 2-core MBP with 6G ram it takes maybe 1 second to re-render an image I adjust.  On my 2 year old 8-core Mac Pro with 24G ram, it is well under a second -- maybe about 1/4 sec or so.  

If it's taking longer than that at 1200, then I would suspect you are somehow hardware constrained.  Could be your system specs or maybe your graphics card? Also, are the images you are reading stored on a local drive?  If you are reading/writing to a USB external drive for example, I'd suspect that would slow things down significantly...

Actually, my Mac Pro is a Nehalem model with dual 2.66 quad cores and 24 gb of RAM and a 512mb video card and a dedicated scratch disk. My Mac should not be the issue. I just noticed the following in the release notes to 5.1.1 under known issues: "Using a large preview image size will affect performance." Apparently Phase One is well aware of the issue. I never saw this behaviour before. Curious if Doug or Steve from CI think this is "normal".
Thanks, Jack

craigwashburn

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 09:32:21 pm »

Actually, my Mac Pro is a Nehalem model with dual 2.66 quad cores and 24 gb of RAM and a 512mb video card and a dedicated scratch disk. My Mac should not be the issue. I just noticed the following in the release notes to 5.1.1 under known issues: "Using a large preview image size will affect performance." Apparently Phase One is well aware of the issue. I never saw this behaviour before. Curious if Doug or Steve from CI think this is "normal".
Thanks, Jack

Open a case with PhaseOne.  Since you're using one of their backs, they will be very responsive.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19:46 am »

Just to clarify, the behavior is normal --- it's the time it's taking that seems to be the issue...   And the preview size chosen definitely affects performance, smaller = faster.

Note also that certain adjustments will add significantly to the rendering time, and even if you aren't changing them directly, they still affect rendering time if they're on.  Lens corrections, vignette and LCC are the main ones that come to mind.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:24:36 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up