Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem tethering Leaf Aptus 22 to Macbook Pro unibody  (Read 5514 times)

gss

Problem tethering Leaf Aptus 22 to Macbook Pro unibody
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:16:36 pm »

I am trying for the first time to tether a Leaf Aptus 22 on an H1 to my 2008 unibody Macbook Pro.  Regardless of whether I have the Macbook Pro plugged in or not (though the intent is to only use battery power), the Leaf back never gets the green light and the H1 tells me that the Aptus is busy.  The Macbook does recognize that a Leaf back is attached.

I suppose that this is because the firewire on the Macbook Pro is not providing sufficient power.  Unfortunately, the Aptus' battery covers the firewire port, and hence they cannot be used simultaneously.  Does there exist a battery-powered firewire booster?

Please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree.  Has anyone had these issues before?  In doing a search, I saw that some people were having problems, but only when the Macbook battery was less than 30%.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nick-T

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:17:27 pm »

Quote from: gss
I am trying for the first time to tether a Leaf Aptus 22 on an H1 to my 2008 unibody Macbook Pro.  Regardless of whether I have the Macbook Pro plugged in or not (though the intent is to only use battery power), the Leaf back never gets the green light and the H1 tells me that the Aptus is busy.  The Macbook does recognize that a Leaf back is attached.

I suppose that this is because the firewire on the Macbook Pro is not providing sufficient power.  Unfortunately, the Aptus' battery covers the firewire port, and hence they cannot be used simultaneously.  Does there exist a battery-powered firewire booster?

Please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree.  Has anyone had these issues before?  In doing a search, I saw that some people were having problems, but only when the Macbook battery was less than 30%.

Some ideas here:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=42548

[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:24:53 am »

you can use a powered repeater (order through any Leaf dealer). To power it in the studio use the power supply unit that came with the battery charger. If outside, most 12V batteries e.g. Battery Geek, Quantum etc. Will do the job.

HTH

yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:19:05 pm »

I have the same problem for my H back. I think I know a solution.

Duracell has a product called the PowerSource Mobile 100. It provides up to 2 hours of extra power for a laptop. http://www.duracellpower.com/portable-powe...mobile-100.aspx The main thing that is important, is that it has an ac outlet on the unit. This will allow you to plug capture integration's firewire power booster into it which should power the back for much more than 2 hours. I'm sure the power consumption of the digital back is much less than a laptop. I'm guessing close to 10%. However, I would like to know exactly how long this battery would power the firewire booster/back. I'm not too familiar with batteries and power consumption.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »

Hi gss,

before spending too much money in special items: Does the aptus connect properly to a desktop mac or another Macbook Pro, using the same cable, same version of leaf capture and the same operating system? Any message from leaf capture (e.g. could not establish fw connection)? Did you try another fw-cable? If it´s just a problem of bus power you could try a standard powered fw-hub first to test if it works properly. We once tried to connect an aptus back to one of the first 24" intel iMacs, but we never succeeded, tried different powered hubs but gave up in the end :-(. The connection always timed out giving an error. The same back is working without any issues with several other macs including an unibody macbook pro.
Using a powered hub on location is a pain in the a**, more connections to keep an eye on, always easier to fail. If the problem really is your mac - it might be the best advice to get another one, that is working.
Good luck!

Ulf
Pages: [1]   Go Up