Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of Express Slot Hard Drive as Scratch for CS4  (Read 2250 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Use of Express Slot Hard Drive as Scratch for CS4
« on: March 27, 2010, 04:14:15 pm »

I would like to use a 32GB Expresscard drive as a scratch drive for CS4.  Environment is windows7 64 bit.  Windows see the
drive as a removable drive.  When I go to CS4 to select it as a potential scratch drive, the drive is not listed.  I am assuming this
is because windows has the drive loaded as removable and not a Local hard drive.    

If you take any standard USB external drive and plug it in, CS4 will see that for scratch since they load as local drives.  

I understand that before the expresscard technology a "removable" drive would be too slow for scratch, but shouldn't the
speed of the expresscard slot be enough?  

Is there any setting in CS4 to allow it to accept removable media?  or a way to make windows see it as a local disk?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:13:19 am »

None of the current express card SSDs that I have seen have speeds that are superior to USB2, so they are not particularly suitable for a scratch disk on laptop.  I think the best bet is to get an express card eSATA card and an eSATA hard drive.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Piero

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:10:44 am »

Quote from: fike
None of the current express card SSDs that I have seen have speeds that are superior to USB2, so they are not particularly suitable for a scratch disk on laptop.  I think the best bet is to get an express card eSATA card and an eSATA hard drive.
Wrong, a few SSD expresscards don't use the USB interface and are much faster, the wintec filemate 48GB is one of those.
You can find an article on it here : http://www.macworld.com/article/145185/200...mbpssdcard.html

I have it myself (I use it as a boot drive), and I'm quite happy about it. Since it appears as an additional SATA drive, there is no reason for CS4 not to accept it as scratch.
Here is my review (in French, but you have speed tests, which are easy to understand) : http://www.macbidouille.com/articles/316/page2
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:13:19 am by Piero »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:10:45 pm »

Piero,

Thanks for the info and review.  Do you have a windows environment that you can try the drive in?  I am
curious is windows, either vista or win7 still sees the wintec as a removable disk.  If it loads the sata interface,
then it should show up as a non removable I believe.  

What is interesting is that all the WD or segate USB external drives will show up as a drive available for a scratch
drive even though they are USB interface drives.  However the transend drive loads as removable.  I am wondering
if windows sees anything in the express slot as removable media, thus CS4 will not allow it as scratch.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:11:01 am »

Quote from: Paul2660
Piero,

Thanks for the info and review.  Do you have a windows environment that you can try the drive in?  I am
curious is windows, either vista or win7 still sees the wintec as a removable disk.  If it loads the sata interface,
then it should show up as a non removable I believe.  

What is interesting is that all the WD or segate USB external drives will show up as a drive available for a scratch
drive even though they are USB interface drives.  However the transend drive loads as removable.  I am wondering
if windows sees anything in the express slot as removable media, thus CS4 will not allow it as scratch.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

That one looks good.  There are still a bunch of duds out there, so look closely at the benchmarking data that is provided by third parties.  This one does seem to have good performance.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up