Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locations? St. Augustine to Charleston  (Read 2913 times)

BradSmith

Locations? St. Augustine to Charleston
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »

I'm doing a slow, 3 week driving trip generally along the coast from St. Augustine Fl to Charleston SC right after Easter.  I've never been to the area, so I'm looking for suggestions for photo locations.  I plan on doing a lot of photo-walking in Savannah and Charleston.  Any other suggested locations would be appreciated.
thanks
Brad

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:28:34 pm »

Quote from: skeedracer
I'm doing a slow, 3 week driving trip generally along the coast from St. Augustine Fl to Charleston SC right after Easter.  I've never been to the area, so I'm looking for suggestions for photo locations.  I plan on doing a lot of photo-walking in Savannah and Charleston.  Any other suggested locations would be appreciated.
thanks
Brad

I've been to all 3 of those cities many many times.  All I can tell you is that you will have a feast of photographic opportunities.  St. Augustine is beautiful at sunrise and sunset.  The Bridge of Lions is still be rebuilt so the view to it might be a little congested by construction equipment but the bay is gorgeous.

St. Augustine:

Don't miss Flagler College it has a lot to offer.
There is a lighthouse in St. Augustine and a very impressive Alligator farm with lots of exotic animals and birds.
The beach in St. Augustine is gorgeous as well.  
You really can't go wrong as long as you don't shoot during the middle of the day.  

Savannah:

I think Savannah (downtown) is best after a rain when the cobblestone streets glisten with light.  However, rain or not the gardens and fountains on the side streets (See Forrest Gump) are well worth the walk.  

Charleston, is a combination of St. Augustine and Savannah.  It has the old city architecture while also having the beautiful bay.  Of course all 3 cities offer great history lessons, old churches,  great scenics.  Savannah also has an aircraft carrier you can tour.  

Really there are just too many things to bring up. Don't miss Jekyll Island which is just over the Florida border on the way to Savannah.  It is halfway between Savannah and Jacksonville.

If you can tell me what you like to shoot I can give you a lot more information.  That area is rich in southern architecture and history as well as beautiful savannahs and beaches.  Just too much to name.

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:03:20 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  I'm on the trip right now, having spent the past 3 days in St. Augustine and happened to visit each of the sites you mentioned.  I'm now on Amelia Island for three days, then on to Jekyll, Charleston, Kiawah and finally Savannah.  I enjoy basic landscape and architectural and architectural detail photogrpahy.  In Charleston, do you have any recommendations for which of the several/many plantations would be best?

Thanks for taking the time.
Brad

Quote from: gdwhalen
I've been to all 3 of those cities many many times.  All I can tell you is that you will have a feast of photographic opportunities.  St. Augustine is beautiful at sunrise and sunset.  The Bridge of Lions is still be rebuilt so the view to it might be a little congested by construction equipment but the bay is gorgeous.

St. Augustine:

Don't miss Flagler College it has a lot to offer.
There is a lighthouse in St. Augustine and a very impressive Alligator farm with lots of exotic animals and birds.
The beach in St. Augustine is gorgeous as well.  
You really can't go wrong as long as you don't shoot during the middle of the day.  

Savannah:

I think Savannah (downtown) is best after a rain when the cobblestone streets glisten with light.  However, rain or not the gardens and fountains on the side streets (See Forrest Gump) are well worth the walk.  

Charleston, is a combination of St. Augustine and Savannah.  It has the old city architecture while also having the beautiful bay.  Of course all 3 cities offer great history lessons, old churches,  great scenics.  Savannah also has an aircraft carrier you can tour.  

Really there are just too many things to bring up. Don't miss Jekyll Island which is just over the Florida border on the way to Savannah.  It is halfway between Savannah and Jacksonville.

If you can tell me what you like to shoot I can give you a lot more information.  That area is rich in southern architecture and history as well as beautiful savannahs and beaches.  Just too much to name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up