Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two things Taken Away in LR3B2 :(  (Read 1898 times)

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
Two things Taken Away in LR3B2 :(
« on: March 26, 2010, 03:50:24 pm »

Often with software "upgrades" I see change for the sake of change. Although I see several things I like about LR3B2 ( better image quality and Tethered Shooting ) a few things have been taken away that give me great pause!

1) In LR 2.5 I have always loved the fact that filters ( ratings, flags, etc ) stay they way you leave them (sticky) in each folder. This WAS great because each folder in my catalog are in various states of selection. WHY oh WHY has this ability been taken away in LR3B2??? Why is this being touted as a new feature?

2) Although the import dialog box in LR3B2 looks slicker I find it less functional. In LR 2.5 the import box made use of the OS FINDER to select the folder of images that you want to import. This is VERY helpful because of the ways that you can arrange the folders in list view in the mac OS Finder. For instance I keep my photo folders in list view in "date modified" order so the newest  folder is always at the TOP of the list. This is so helpful and flexible. In LR3B2 all you folders are listed in the import box in alphabetical order without any ability to change this. When you have hundreds of folders, this is a PITA. How is this an improvement or better in any way??

These two things make me want to stick with LR2.5 ((

-Jeff

EDIT: I was informed by another user that YOU CAN Import using the OS Finder by clicking " SOURCE " at the top of the Import Window.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:54:20 pm by Jeff Magidson »
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 02:38:59 am »

Jeff - In Lightroom 3 Beta, if you're looking at the filter bar at the top of the Library module, over on the right of the bar there's a little lock icon similar to the one in the crop window.  If you 'lock' it, the filters stay locked between folders.  Unlocked and the 'stickiness' goes away and you can set different filters for each folder.

Ask and ye shall receive.  Can't help you with the 'Finder' as I'm on a PC.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:33:28 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Jeff - In Lightroom 3 Beta, if you're looking at the filter bar at the top of the Library module, over on the right of the bar there's a little lock icon similar to the one in the crop window.  If you 'lock' it, the filters stay locked between folders.  Unlocked and the 'stickiness' goes away and you can set different filters for each folder.

Ask and ye shall receive.  Can't help you with the 'Finder' as I'm on a PC.

Mike.

True: but in LR 2.5 the filter settings you set for each individual folder where remember by LR. I found this very handy. This ability has be take away in LR3B2. The Lock you speak of is a global lock that will apply filter settings to all of your folders simultaneously.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:58:51 am »

Okay, now I see where you're coming froom.  LR 3 will remember the last filter set under each category (attribute, metadata, etc.), but not which filters were set for each folder.  Yes, having this back would be good.

Mike.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:01:38 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 04:50:55 am »

Quote from: Jeff Magidson
In LR 2.5 I have always loved the fact that filters ( ratings, flags, etc ) stay they way you leave them (sticky) in each folder. This WAS great because each folder in my catalog are in various states of selection. WHY oh WHY has this ability been taken away in LR3B2??? Why is this being touted as a new feature?

Let me explain then that many people hated the way filters were sticky. Within a session, I agree it often made sense that you could switch between folders and their filtration remained. However, it's not the same when you revisited those folders days or even months later - your first reaction would be one of "where the f£c9 are my pictures" panic. Plenty of people complain that their pictures are gone, gone, gone - while less panicky folk would have a few seconds of disruption. I would have preferred LR3 to have a "purge all filters" command or an expiry preference (non sticky, sticky forever, session-only, x days), but I regard the non-stickiness and the lock as a huge improvement.

Another point is that filters are designed to be an inherently temporary filtering of the images shown - ie not an organisational tool. If you routinely leave folders filtered, then it's usually an indication that you are using folders too much and aren't making as much use as you should of smart and dumb collections .

John

Have you tried going back to a previously-filtered folder and pressing Cmd L / Ctrl L. It may do something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up