Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! Ethernet connectivity GONE HP z3100  (Read 1937 times)

the ridge runner

HELP! Ethernet connectivity GONE HP z3100
« on: March 26, 2010, 02:36:26 pm »

Here is what seems to have happened. If this makes any sense or if anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

1. Had everything networked and working fine with 2 wired connected computers...one Win7 64-bit, one XP Pro 32-bit and the z3100. Could print and access all printer functions from each computer...basic Linksys Wireless router. Although I never had wired connectivity problems with the Linksys, I found myself having to reset it fairly often because it would drop the wireless signal....every Linksys I've owned has done this.

2. Found a Netgear wireless router on sale and switched over to it. It worked perfectly on both wired and wireless connections for about 2 months, then one morning, I could no longer log onto my secure wireless connection with any of my wireless devices. The wired connections were fine, though.

3. After going through a bunch of troubleshooting, I could never get the wireless connection back, and the more I worked with the Netgear router, the more flaky the wired connections became until the router just stopped working altogether.

4. I switched back to the old Linksys router, which still works fine between my two wired computers and the secure wireless is fine, too, just needs to be reset every now and then.

5. HOWEVER....I can get NO Ethernet connectivity whatsoever now with my Z3100. I have tried it plugged directly into the computer and it still doesn't show up. USB works "fine" for USB, but I have had a few large size print jobs that wouldn't finish because of lack of communication over the USB connection...never had this problem the ethernet.

So, my question is this: Could the failure of the Netgear router be related to failure of the ethernet port in the z3100? I honestly don't see how this could happen unless there was a power surge of some kind, but I'm no expert on ethernet.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Ed

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:21:32 pm »

If you wanted to run a network cable directly from a pc to another pc or printer without using a network hub/switch/router, you would need to have what is called a cross over cable.  This link will explain what that is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Based on your description, it sounds as if you have 2 known flakey routers. If the netgear router is only a few months old, it will probably be under warranty. Call netgear support (1-800-netgear iirc) give them the serial # and they'll let you know if it's under warranty.

Another option is to spend $50-100 and buy yourself a new wireless router.

>...Could the failure of the Netgear router be related to failure of the ethernet port in the z3100? I honestly don't see how this could happen unless there was a power surge of some kind, but I'm no expert on ethernet.

It's possible, but given the description i'm not convinced the ethernet port on the z is at issue.

My experience is that once routers start showing flakey recurrent behavior over time it's best to replace the router and put the issue to rest.

Also toss old routers. People forget why they were put on the shelf and years later try to use them again, only to be frustrated and end up calling people like me and saying that their “new” spare router has problems that their failing router never did. Then over time I find out that the “new” router was built 5+ years ago and shortly after that, typically someone remembers and I hear “…oh, yeah, we had some problems so bought another and put it on the shelf …..”

the ridge runner

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:27:23 pm »

[quote name='Justan' date='Mar 26 2010, 03:21 PM' post='355947']
If you wanted to run a network cable directly from a pc to another pc or printer without using a network hub/switch/router, you would need to have what is called a cross over cable.  This link will explain what that is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Ah HA!  I didn't realize I couldn't just go directly to the printer from the computer with a regular ethernet cable.

I'm in the process of uninstalling the old HP Printer Utility and reinstalling.  I"m not absolutely certain I had the Win7 64-bit version installed.

Will update as I get farther along with this issue.

Thanks.

the ridge runner

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 05:05:56 pm »

Okay, I have just gone to the devices and printers dialogue (win 7 64-bit) and removed the networked z3100.  then I went to "add a printer" and searched the network and low and behold, there it was, so I proceeded with the install, using the existing driver and every thing is cool now, except I have to add back all my custom paper sizes.

The things we go through sometimes...GEEZ.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:34:59 am »

On the printer panel "Connectivity > Fast Ethernet > View configuration" you can check the IP number of the Z3100. Ping the printer from the computer to check the connection (with your firewall disabled). I prefer to set the IP number manually so I'm sure what to put in into the rules of the firewall on the router or on the computer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up