Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Blues  (Read 10761 times)

stamper

Winter Blues
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 04:25:43 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Fred

This one I don't think you will know, but stamper might if he is looking here.

Barbour Threads Calendar a zillion years ago - another Ektachrome 6x6 copied on D700.

As an aside, I have been having heavy magenta casts on all of these copies, and I was starting to wonder if that ruby light that bleeps when you use the Nikon with M/U and self-timer actually comes on at the moment of exposure. Being so close to the subject it would show the reflection/glow if it does, indeed, light at the crucial moment.

Rob C

Despite getting old I don't recognize it. It could be anywhere? I used to have a Barbour jacket but they aren't in fashion any more. As to Kelvingrove park I have been in it dozens of times taking photographs but I haven't seen anything like it. An area worth visiting because there are good opportunities at different times of the year for photographs.

stamper

Winter Blues
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 04:27:06 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
mmm...
I bet that this could be: Kelvingrove or Alexandra park???

Fred.

You are a long way from Madrid fred. Are you familiar with the locations?

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 05:13:58 am »

mmm...
I bet that this could be: Kelvingrove or Alexandra park???

Fred.

Nope, guys, both incorrect: grounds of Pollok House - the most used location by every Glasgow snapper with a need for the great outdoors! They even used to serve a nice lunch there at one time, though long after we left we visited for old time's sake and the concession had shifted - for the worse!

I have often thought how wonderful a location that would be (the building) for anyone wanting to do an old 'charme' offensive - Fred will understand the difference (huge) between charme and glamour.

Do you remember Goldbergs, stamper? We shot a brochure there for them, too, a while before they went bust. I had nothing to do with that - certainly not my fees - on the contrary, it was like drawing teeth! Another brochure we did there was for Hudson's Pantry (interesting olde worlde kitchen with all the utensils) - the wife/partner/owner had a black version, Lido, of my then X1/9.

Rob C

stamper

Winter Blues
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 05:58:01 am »

I think I have been in Pollock grounds three times. Certainly a nice location but the - imo - Burrell collection is over rated. As to Goldbergs I remember it well. The two pubs in the lane are now closed. The Mitre and I think the other was the fox and hounds. And on the other side Granny Blacks got pulled down. Not the nicest of stores, I preferred Lewis's. Have you been to the Kelvingrove museum in recent years. They done it up about five years ago and is worth a visit.

[attachment=21171:Kelvingrove_Museum.jpg]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:02:22 am by stamper »

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 07:14:01 am »

Quote from: stamper
You are a long way from Madrid fred. Are you familiar with the locations?
Unfortunatly not Stamper.

Scotland is a place that I want to visit, I pass through many years ago and I remember the particular light.
Weather was changing every half and hour. People are great, I had some scotish friends in Paris,
thy are very different than the english, curiously kind of mediteraneans mind.
This is a location where I could live, and always fascinated me.

My bet was motivated by the Rob's Jurançon wine collection.
So when Rob said that I probably do not know this location and asked you, I suspect that it was in Glasgow.
I took the google map of the city and looked for parks, and finaly took my chance with these 2 parks.

So Rob, you won the tapas that goes with the Jurançon.

Cheers,

Fred.

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:55 am »

I think I have been in Pollock grounds three times. Certainly a nice location but the - imo - Burrell collection is over rated. As to Goldbergs I remember it well. The two pubs in the lane are now closed. The Mitre and I think the other was the fox and hounds. And on the other side Granny Blacks got pulled down. Not the nicest of stores, I preferred Lewis's. Have you been to the Kelvingrove museum in recent years. They done it up about five years ago and is worth a visit.

A funny note to that: I once wandered over to the record counter, already having entered the store to see the client, and tried to buy an LP. They were stunned: didn't want or seem to know how to do a real cash sale! The other funny moment was with my son: he was quite a photogenic kid and had no fear of cameras - conditioning, obviously enough - and there was a 60"x40" blowup of him on a point-of-sales display stand, but he was kicked out of the store for having gone in not knowing that they had introduced a 'no unaccompanied children' policy. He didn't have the presence of mind to point to the image...

Rob C

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:41 am »

No, haven't been back at all for a few years now, but I knew the old K very well indeed. My cousin and I used to spend a lot of time there looking at paintings and then buying poscards of them and later, at home, attempting to make our own versions of Van Gogh, Dali and some of the others. He, the cousin, ended up in art school but I as a photographer once I realised that I, unlike he, would never have the skills to make it with paint. But is was certainly those trips to the K and earlier influence from mother and aunt that pushed me unintentionally towards a life of pictures. Funny how male influence only ever got my back up!

Rob C

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:54 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
Not to be mean, but it's 65 degrees and sunny here in North Carolina.

Fred.

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 04:50:14 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
Not to be mean, but it's 65 degrees and sunny here in North Carolina.

Dang, Pete, it was also sunny in Calas de Mallorca a hundred years ago - well, maybe thirty-five or so?

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:38:30 am by Rob C »

stamper

Winter Blues
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 04:19:34 am »

Dang, Pete, it was also sunny in Calas de Mallorca a hundred years ago - well, maybe thirty-five or so?

Rob C

Rob do you have a website where I can look at the rest of these "beauties" ? Getting back to the original post Scotland this week was hit hit by another blizzard, which was as bad or even worse than what was experienced in the winter.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1671626.

This will hopefully be the "sting in the tail" and next week the spring will get under way for real?  

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 05:05:36 am »

Rob do you have a website where I can look at the rest of these "beauties" ? Getting back to the original post Scotland this week was hit hit by another blizzard, which was as bad or even worse than what was experienced in the winter.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1671626.

This will hopefully be the "sting in the tail" and next week the spring will get under way for real?

stamper

The answer to your website question is yes and no. If you turn your dial to robcphotos.com  you will find my site and a white page. The reason is simple: I know nothing about making websites and I had a friend offer to set one up for me. The trouble is, though he seems to know how to do this, I discovered that the images I had put up during the trial setting-up period were not working. Nothing was really crisp and I don't know why. I thought it was impossible for such accidents to happen with a digital file - how does it go soft without intentional manipulation? I realised that it wasn't going to do me any good at all showing unsharp pics and so I called it off. The reason I wanted a site in the first place was in order to try and get something to pay for my printing! You see? Ex-pros can think exactly like amateurs in the right circumstances!

I realise that I could go to other, pro services, but as with clients that won't pay for pro photography, I can't afford to run a website where I have to pay monthly fees and for somebody to change pictures for me either. Were I still working, that would be a different matter - just as buying nice cars was - you could partly set it against tax. Learning HTML etc. is for young minds; I feel fortunate when I am able keep a conversation on track for more than three minutes!

;-)

Rob C

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 06:09:20 am »

stamper

The answer to your website question is yes and no. If you turn your dial to robcphotos.com  you will find my site and a white page. The reason is simple: I know nothing about making websites and I had a friend offer to set one up for me. The trouble is, though he seems to know how to do this, I discovered that the images I had put up during the trial setting-up period were not working. Nothing was really crisp and I don't know why. I thought it was impossible for such accidents to happen with a digital file - how does it go soft without intentional manipulation? I realised that it wasn't going to do me any good at all showing unsharp pics and so I called it off. The reason I wanted a site in the first place was in order to try and get something to pay for my printing! You see? Ex-pros can think exactly like amateurs in the right circumstances!

I realise that I could go to other, pro services, but as with clients that won't pay for pro photography, I can't afford to run a website where I have to pay monthly fees and for somebody to change pictures for me either. Were I still working, that would be a different matter - just as buying nice cars was - you could partly set it against tax. Learning HTML etc. is for young minds; I feel fortunate when I am able keep a conversation on track for more than three minutes!

;-)

Rob C
Hi Rob,
There is a system (there are) now that use Ajax and are free,
wich means that there is a control panel so easy to use that a 4 year old kid would built an all website in 1 day.
These are totally intuitives (drag and drop) and the level of integration is really interesting.
Nothing to do with wordpress etc...this technology is actually the future for small-medium websites.
There is a european one and an american one, the last being the best. Based in silicon Valley.
It is so easy that I can help you from here in any problem in a second.
You can sell prints through paypal.
Everything is automatized and highly customizable.

Go to Weebly.com
Open a free account and start.
Use one of their (horrible) design, then send me a mail about how you would like the web to look like and I trick the CSS in half an hour and you'll have your design resolved.
Any question about "how to do the things" you can give me a call and I tell you with great pleasure.
I mean, it is so easy that you'll be amazed what you can do with this.
You have total control on everything, and no limits in the pictures you add, and they are sharp.

Cheers,

Fred.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
Winter Blues
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 09:32:55 am »

The trouble is, though he seems to know how to do this, I discovered that the images I had put up during the trial setting-up period were not working. Nothing was really crisp and I don't know why. I thought it was impossible for such accidents to happen with a digital file - how does it go soft without intentional manipulation?

It might not have been a "mistake" as much as inexperienced scripting. I'm just guessing, of course, but think your friend may have been using javascript, or something similar, to resize all of the photos. The results can be quite bad.

"The real voyage of discove

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 09:54:32 am »

Quote from: ckimmerle
It might not have been a "mistake" as much as inexperienced scripting. I'm just guessing, of course, but think your friend may have been using javascript, or something similar, to resize all of the photos. The results can be quite bad.
O yes, NEVER resized through script the images for the web, except with certain scripts in flash.

Fred.

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 04:09:50 pm »

Thanks for the advice on websites, guys.

The chap asked me to send him the straight files - I suppose he meant Photoshop ones - but I didn't want to risk putting that stuff outwith my control, so I sent him jpegs to the final size to avoid him changing the sizes in any way at all. Perhaps that turns out to have been my own fault, then? I just don't get much of this technical stuff at all.

Anyway, over on Discussing Photographic Styles, under On Colour as a temporal anchor, I have stuck another shot with a little quiz attached; might amuse some of you?

Rob C

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 06:20:04 am »

Thanks for the advice on websites, guys.

The chap asked me to send him the straight files - I suppose he meant Photoshop ones - but I didn't want to risk putting that stuff outwith my control, so I sent him jpegs to the final size to avoid him changing the sizes in any way at all. Perhaps that turns out to have been my own fault, then? I just don't get much of this technical stuff at all.

Anyway, over on Discussing Photographic Styles, under On Colour as a temporal anchor, I have stuck another shot with a little quiz attached; might amuse some of you?

Rob C
Yes Rob, you did it well to send the jpeg(s) at the size you wanted and not the Raw.

Cheers.

Fred.

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 11:57:49 am »

Rob, it is back!!!!
I thought it has abandoned us, I did not remember how sweet it was: OUR SUN!
I'm going shooting today.

Cheers.

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 04:06:27 am »

Rob, it is back!!!!
I thought it has abandoned us, I did not remember how sweet it was: OUR SUN!
I'm going shooting today.

Cheers.

You see? Madrid wins again!

Yesterday was cold here, but today the sun is out and shining brightly. Better, my daughter is coming out today to stay with me for a week!

Ciao

Rob C

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 06:56:08 am »

Rob,
13th of may: I'm freezing !

When this surrealistic ice-age is going to end?

(Here in Spain there is a law to save energy and you can not heat after a certain date).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:39:55 pm by fredjeang »

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2010, 05:03:37 pm »

Rob,
13th of may: I'm freezing !

When this surrealistic ice-age is going to end?

(Here in Spain there is a law to save energy and you can not heat after a certain date).

Fred, the Spanish advice I have had is simple: never shed your warm clothing until 40th of May.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up