Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Blues  (Read 10757 times)

Rob C

Winter Blues
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »

How much longer is this winter going to last?

Since nobody seems in a hurry to send me there anymore, I shall just relive some Bahamian dreams.

; - (

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:25:37 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Payne

Winter Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16:57 pm »

For once, Rob, I applaud your post!

:-P

Jeremy Payne

Winter Blues
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »

Quote from: Rob C

Not much longer!  For us Americans, Major League Baseball is almost here ... and I'm down in Florida watching a bit of spring training ...

[attachment=21070:_JSP2731.jpg]

If anyone is interested, the gloves are, from left to right:

Arod's, Jeter's and Teixeira's ...

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
Winter Blues
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:49:35 pm »

Rob, we have the same dreams!
"The real voyage of discove

ckimmerle

Winter Blues
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:50:55 pm »

So, Rob offers photos of boob, Jeremy offers photos of balls? I'll go with Rob

Jeremy Payne

Winter Blues
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »

Quote from: ckimmerle
So, Rob offers photos of boob, Jeremy offers photos of balls? I'll go with Rob
Guess it could have been worse ... could have been a bat!

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Winter Blues
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »

... I shall just relive some Bahamian dreams ...

I could comment on the type of dream, but concern for those of you of delicate sensibilities prevents me  

Tissues anyone?

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »

It reminds me of Bond, Dr NO, the scene on the beach...
The problem we have here Rob, is that winter is normally so dry and sunny that this year has been really really painfull.
I'm fed up also. Rain, cold, we did not have 1 entire week of sun since december...  

Now, we could do nudes on the snow.
mmm...  

Fred.

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

And to add some glamour and sun to the topic,
this is a picture I took not a long time ago in Madrid.
I'm sure it will put all your senses on the red zone!  

[attachment=21071:gasc_alone3.jpg]

I'm a bad boy...and i like it!

Fred

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »

ha ha ha...
another one I just found in my winter 2010 glamour collection

[attachment=21072:snow2.jpg]

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »

Nice shooting, Fred, we had snow for one morning here in Mallorca too, just recently, but then it turned into water except on the mountains where it hung about for a few days looking all Swiss or Sierra Nevada (España edition). However, it did prompt the local press into renting a chopper and covering the island for pics which they ran for days.

Whenever it snows or rains here I dare not go onto the roads because the local people do not understand much about braking distances; every year the fuzz has to mount rescues up on the mountain roads and whenever it rains in Palma somebody drives into a traffic light and blacks out the system. Actually, snow did lie up there for several weeks last year - it looks nice from sea level where I live, but I am too familiar with it to feel any desire to join it. Part of my fear of snow conditions comes from an experience many years ago when my wife was expecting our first child. We were driving up (hoping to ski) to Perthshire from Glasgow when, just north of Perth, we met a right-hand bend with a truck parked right on the apex beside the doorway of a cottage. It was uphill, I doubt I was even doing 15mph, but when I steered slightly towards the centre of the bend to avoid the truck, I lost the tail and then over-corrected. This spun it around the opposite way - too far - and we hit the snow piled on the verge. The car stopped, rolled onto its side and out popped a rear side window and I also managed to snap my prized Motorola aerial off the top of the rear wing. My wife ended up sitting on top of my head (RHD in the UK), eight months pregnant, and rather heavier than I expected. Anyway, the truck people dashed out and pulled her out through the side and led her into the cottage. I was left as I was and I must admit to feeling a bit peeved about that at the time; damn it, I had lost my Motorola. (Anyway, she went full term and everything was fine, though I can't vouch for the long-term effects on myself.) No, I didn't ski: we went back home since the car was facing in that direction anyway.

As I say, I love snow.

Well, Jeremy, thank goodness we can agree on something!

Rob C

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 06:29:23 pm »

Nice shooting, Fred, we had snow for one morning here in Mallorca too, just recently, but then it turned into water except on the mountains where it hung about for a few days looking all Swiss or Sierra Nevada (España edition). However, it did prompt the local press into renting a chopper and covering the island for pics which they ran for days.

Whenever it snows or rains here I dare not go onto the roads because the local people do not understand much about braking distances; every year the fuzz has to mount rescues up on the mountain roads and whenever it rains in Palma somebody drives into a traffic light and blacks out the system. Actually, snow did lie up there for several weeks last year - it looks nice from sea level where I live, but I am too familiar with it to feel any desire to join it. Part of my fear of snow conditions comes from an experience many years ago when my wife was expecting our first child. We were driving up (hoping to ski) to Perthshire from Glasgow when, just north of Perth, we met a right-hand bend with a truck parked right on the apex beside the doorway of a cottage. It was uphill, I doubt I was even doing 15mph, but when I steered slightly towards the centre of the bend to avoid the truck, I lost the tail and then over-corrected. This spun it around the opposite way - too far - and we hit the snow piled on the verge. The car stopped, rolled onto its side and out popped a rear side window and I also managed to snap my prized Motorola aerial off the top of the rear wing. My wife ended up sitting on top of my head (RHD in the UK), eight months pregnant, and rather heavier than I expected. Anyway, the truck people dashed out and pulled her out through the side and led her into the cottage. I was left as I was and I must admit to feeling a bit peeved about that at the time; damn it, I had lost my Motorola. (Anyway, she went full term and everything was fine, though I can't vouch for the long-term effects on myself.) No, I didn't ski: we went back home since the car was facing in that direction anyway.

As I say, I love snow.

Well, Jeremy, thank goodness we can agree on something!

Rob C

When I stayed in Jurançon for a while, I used to go skiing regularly in Gourette. That was fun. But now I do not like snow like before, specially here in Spain. One thing is being in Canada where all is prepared for snow conditions, but in Spain it is just a comic show.
As you pointed, many crashes on traffic lights...

Cheers,

Fred.

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:14 am »

Just to continue letting you see the results of the recent copying of old Ektachrome 120s with the D700.

The transparencies were all left in the cardboard mounts because no replacements were available - made copying even more difficult.

This one was for Glayva Liqueur's Calendar some time in the 70s and shot in Lanzarote. It was 'blad with 150 Sonnar plus a Softar on the front. I find that composition seems to fit whichever format you end up using - no doubt the same location would have provided either vertical or horizontal shots too: you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Do you recognize the location, Michael?

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:37:09 am by Rob C »

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 12:08:21 pm »

Just to continue letting you see the results of the recent copying of old Ektachrome 120s with the D700.

The transparencies were all left in the cardboard mounts because no replacements were available - made copying even more difficult.

This one was for Glayva Liqueur's Calendar some time in the 70s and shot in Lanzarote. It was 'blad with 150 Sonnar plus a Softar on the front. I find that composition seems to fit whichever format you end up using - no doubt the same location would have provided either vertical or horizontal shots too: you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Do you recognize the location, Michael?

Rob C
I'm not Michael but I can't resist.
Can I make a bet?

Well to me it looks like: Los Jameos del Agua.

Cheers,

Fred.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Winter Blues
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 01:10:42 pm »

Since nobody seems in a hurry to send me there anymore, I shall just relive some Bahamian dreams.

; - (

Rob C

Not to be mean, but it's 65 degrees and sunny here in North Carolina.

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 02:15:30 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
I'm not Michael but I can't resist.
Can I make a bet?

Well to me it looks like: Los Jameos del Agua.

Cheers,

Fred.

Fred, I owe you a bottle of Jurançon!

Rob C

ckimmerle

Winter Blues
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »

This one was for Glayva Liqueur's Calendar some time in the 70s and shot in Lanzarote. I

I'm beginning to understand why you like photographing people so much. If I had more subjects like that, I might give up on landscapes altogether.

As for winter, I miss it already.

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 02:32:19 pm »

Fred, I owe you a bottle of Jurançon!

Rob C
Ok Rob!
We'll drink it to the Lanzarote ladies, and, I hope, the return of the sun.

I recognized it because I was there about 4 years ago, and this is a very carachteristic place.
Enjoyed very much Lanzarote.

Cheers,

Fred.

Rob C

Winter Blues
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 03:07:31 pm »

Fred

This one I don't think you will know, but stamper might if he is looking here.

Barbour Threads Calendar a zillion years ago - another Ektachrome 6x6 copied on D700.

As an aside, I have been having heavy magenta casts on all of these copies, and I was starting to wonder if that ruby light that bleeps when you use the Nikon with M/U and self-timer actually comes on at the moment of exposure. Being so close to the subject it would show the reflection/glow if it does, indeed, light at the crucial moment.

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:37:44 am by Rob C »

fredjeang

Winter Blues
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 04:03:23 pm »

Fred

This one I don't think you will know, but stamper might if he is looking here.

Barbour Threads Calendar a zillion years ago - another Ektachrome 6x6 copied on D700.

As an aside, I have been having heavy magenta casts on all of these copies, and I was starting to wonder if that ruby light that bleeps when you use the Nikon with M/U and self-timer actually comes on at the moment of exposure. Being so close to the subject it would show the reflection/glow if it does, indeed, light at the crucial moment.

Rob C
mmm...
I bet that this could be: Kelvingrove or Alexandra park???

Fred.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up