Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving LR2 catalogues and previews into LR3  (Read 2451 times)

scott morrish

Moving LR2 catalogues and previews into LR3
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:43:05 am »

I have really enjoyed LR2, so predictably, i am very much looking forward to LR3.

As i understand it... when LR3 ships, we will have the option to use either the old 2003 pipeline, or the new 2010 pipeline.
Looking forward, will it be possible to hang on to the LR2 work and (histories), whilst also having the advantages of improvements in LR3?  And if so... how will it work?

Guess i am assuming that it will be possible to create virtual copies of files that we have already edited (allowing us to preserve earlier work if we want to), and then (via virtual copies) to switch to the 2010 pipeline and make adjustments to taste, rather than having to start all over again.  But clearly this is just a guess...

Thanks,
Scott

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:13:59 pm »

Quote from: scott morrish
I have really enjoyed LR2, so predictably, i am very much looking forward to LR3.

As i understand it... when LR3 ships, we will have the option to use either the old 2003 pipeline, or the new 2010 pipeline.
Looking forward, will it be possible to hang on to the LR2 work and (histories), whilst also having the advantages of improvements in LR3?  And if so... how will it work?

Guess i am assuming that it will be possible to create virtual copies of files that we have already edited (allowing us to preserve earlier work if we want to), and then (via virtual copies) to switch to the 2010 pipeline and make adjustments to taste, rather than having to start all over again.  But clearly this is just a guess...

Thanks,
Scott

I don't see why not ... when you import an already-processed image from LR 2.x into a new LR3b2 catalog (since you can't import catalogues at this point), they come through with the LR2 processing.  You don't get history, but I imagine once you can update your catalogue from 2, the history will come along, too.

Just speculating, but I can't imagine it not working that way.

scott morrish

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:58:57 am »

Having followed another thread (Processing version 2010 vs 2003) since posting my question, it looks like our assumptions are on the right track.

Most of all i want improved image quality, and as always, improved performance would also be nice, so i'd happily live with re-doing work on older images if it improves them.
Naturally it'd be really nice if basic editing - spotting, colour corrections, and most localised editing etc remained good for the new '2010 pipeline'.
Reading between the lines, it looks like that will be the case, with the main areas that will need 'revision' being confined to sharpening and noise reduction.

I have not looked at the Beta, as it takes me so long to get to grips with new software: back to work in LR2.6 for now, and very much looking forward to the final release of LR3.

Thanks,
Scott

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:17:14 am »

Quote from: scott morrish
Naturally it'd be really nice if basic editing - spotting, colour corrections, and most localised editing etc remained good for the new '2010 pipeline'.
Reading between the lines, it looks like that will be the case, with the main areas that will need 'revision' being confined to sharpening and noise reduction.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott

My personal (and very amateur) testing with the LR3 beta 2 indicates that it works just as you would wish. All the edits made in 2.6 come across intact, including spotting, crop, etc. At least in this beta, there are no issues. What you find is that the exact numerical values for any slider in 2.6 - brightness, EV, contrast etc are simply translated to LR3.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

scott morrish

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:50:11 am »

Excellent news.

Many thanks
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up