Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems Captureshop 5.6.4 an Snow Leopard  (Read 5406 times)

Nicolas Flamel

Problems Captureshop 5.6.4 an Snow Leopard
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:36 pm »

Hello, Sinar users!

I have some Problems with CS 5.6.4 and Snow Leopard. I am using a Mac Pro 2,66 GHZ and a Sinar P3 with Evolution 75 H. When I am using the focus mode with the LC-Shutter the focus window freezes and Cs crashes down.

I have also tried that setup with external AC adaptor with no success.

Does anybody have experiences withth this setup, too? Do you have any tips?

Cheers

Nico

DavorHorvatic

• http://www.xpose.at
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:44:07 pm »

Quote from: Nicolas Flamel
Hello, Sinar users!

I have some Problems with CS 5.6.4 and Snow Leopard. I am using a Mac Pro 2,66 GHZ and a Sinar P3 with Evolution 75 H. When I am using the focus mode with the LC-Shutter the focus window freezes and Cs crashes down.

I have also tried that setup with external AC adaptor with no success.

Does anybody have experiences withth this setup, too? Do you have any tips?

Cheers

Nico

Same problem with my configuration - Mamiya 645 AFDII with Sinarback 54MC on my MacBookPro with Snow Leopard and CS 5.6.4. According to Sinar, it is a huge "Leopard" bug and Sinar is working hard on solving this problem, so there will be an update for CS 5.6.4 ASAP. This information is only few hours old and comes directly from Sinar technical support.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:44:44 pm by DavorHorvatic »
Cheers

Davor

xpose solutions

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:12:05 pm »

How about trying eXposure? I think the 75H works well with it now, with version 7.03, as long as you have firmware 2.30 in the eVolution back. I know it's quite different to CaptureShop, but as far as I know it does almost all the things CaptureShop can do.

Just an idea.

Ben

Nicolas Flamel

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:52 am »

As you could imagine I was full of expectations when Xposure was released for the 75 H. Unfortunately it does not work with my setup either: The LC-Shutter does not work. Another Problem is that my lenes have Copal Press Shutters which seem not to be properly synchronzied wih Exposure when using a studio flash.

I really hope Sinar will release a bug-fixed version of CS soon.

Cheers

Nico

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:17:33 am »

As you could imagine I was full of expectations when Xposure was released for the 75 H. Unfortunately it does not work with my setup either: The LC-Shutter does not work. Another Problem is that my lenes have Copal Press Shutters which seem not to be properly synchronzied wih Exposure when using a studio flash.

I really hope Sinar will release a bug-fixed version of CS soon.

Cheers

Nico

I really hope that apple would release consistent software too which is where the root cause of the problem is!
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Nicolas Flamel

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:44:07 pm »

Dear Edwin!

Colud you explain that? I had so many problems with Sinarbacks and Sinar software that it it was obvious for me to hold them responsible for the unstable working software.

I heard that the divers could be the problem.

Best regs

Nico

DavorHorvatic

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 04:14:58 pm »

Dear Edwin!

Colud you explain that? I had so many problems with Sinarbacks and Sinar software that it it was obvious for me to hold them responsible for the unstable working software.

I heard that the divers could be the problem.

Best regs

Nico

Apple changes far to much with every new release of OS and it is very often that firewire driver has to be redone and Apple don´t care at all about the third part software such as Capture Shop... :-((
Cheers

Davor

xpose solutions

Nicolas Flamel

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:55:54 am »

Quote from: DavorHorvatic
Apple changes far to much with every new release of OS and it is very often that firewire driver has to be redone and Apple don´t care at all about the third part software such as Capture Shop... :-((

I tried out 10.6.3 now but no improvement in terms of stability. I upgraded to 6 GB of Ram also. Do you think downgrading to an earlier Version of OSX will help?

Many thkanks.

Nico

DavorHorvatic

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:34:21 am »

I tried out 10.6.3 now but no improvement in terms of stability. I upgraded to 6 GB of Ram also. Do you think downgrading to an earlier Version of OSX will help?

Many thkanks.

Nico

Well, I don´t know. I will wait for update of CS that works with 10.6.3 and until then, I´m going to use my older 10.5.x + CS 5.6.3 configuration and will pray that Sinar provide this update ASAP. You could use an extern HDD and install 10.5 there with CS 5.6.3 and boot from there, until the update for 10.6 comes...
Cheers

Davor

xpose solutions

jwoolf

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:36 pm »

I've been dealing with this issue for a few months.  In our studio we have two Evolution 75s, three 54Hs and one 54M.  We upgraded the work stations for these cameras to new MacPro 2.66 Quadcore computers running Snow Leopard.  We have the same crashing problems that you are experiencing with our Evolution 75s under CaptureShop 5.6.3 and 5.6.4.  However, the 54Hs and the 54M work fine.  Which leads me to believe that it is a Firewire driver issue.  The 54s use FW400; the Evolution 75 uses FW800.  Just a guess.

We have come up with two options to deal with Evolution 75:  Use Exposure 7.0.3 with 10.6 or install 10.5 on the new MacPro and use Captureshop.  It is possible to downgrade the operating system from 10.6 to 10.5, because the latest generation of MacPros was released running under Leopard.  All you need to do is get a 10.5 install disk for a MacPro 2.66 Quadcore.  We were lucky that our IS department had one.  But you can get one from a local Apple repair facility.  Just re-install the system from it.  Everything works perfectly.  We even re-installed the 10.6 system after downgrading to 10.5 to make sure that we could do so in the future if and when Sinar corrects the problem.  THE EVOLUTION 75 UNDER 10.5 and CAPTURESHOP 5.6.3 OR 5.6.4  WORKS VERY WELL.  

The other option is to use Exposure 7.0.3.  It has great potential!  However, there are some issues with it.  First the positive: it is rock solid -- I have never crashed it;  color profiles are excellent and match Captureshop; and it is fast, utilizing multiple cores, which CaptureShop does not.  BUT, here are some of the problems with it.  The live video focus is very poor without an LC shutter (although I have not used it with and LC shutter, but Sinar implies that is is better with the LC).  It is no where near as good as Captureshop video focus without LC shutter.  Exposure does not auto open exported files in PhotoShop.  You have to go the folder that you exported the files to and open them from there.  Not a big deal, but tedious. And it does not seem to hold most settings from shot to shot.  Fortunately the default output profile is very good and matches closely CaptureShop's.  But there are some other canned profiles to choose from which are very good and useful, but they do not hold shot to shot, so you have to remember to re-select.  Another annoyance.  Finally, you must do a lens plus sensor shading reference every time you start the software or you can get center fold lines in your files.  This, fortunately, seems to hold from shot to shot.

It's not a perfect situation.  We have opted for downgrading to 10.5.8 and CaptureShop 5.6.4 for one Evolution 75 and 10.6.2 and Exposure 7.0.3 for the other.  Mostly because of the photographers' preferences.

Good Luck.

Nicolas Flamel

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 10:23:16 am »

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to get Leop. for my Mac Pro. What I did not undedstand: Did you test Capture Shop with LC Shutter? If yes, do you have problems concerning stability just when using LV or when shooting images?  he back runs ok until I start the Focus Mode in Capture Chop. Then it often crashes.

Best regards

Nico

jwoolf

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:58:04 am »

Nico,

I did not test the Evolution 75 with an LC shutter because I do not use one with it.  The crashing problem with Capturshop running under Snow Leopard has nothing to do with the LC shutter.  While Captureshop mostly crashes when in --   or coming out of -- video focus mode, it will also crash at other times.  This is not the case when running Captureshop under Leopard.  

However, I do use the Sincarcam II -- which has a built in LC shutter -- with my 54Hs.  As I mentioned, the 54H and M hardware works perfectly fine with Captureshop under SNOW Leopard.

John

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 06:49:45 am »

I have tested the 75h with both the Sinarcam 2 and the lc shutter and both work ok (10.4.11 and cs 5.6.4)
sinarback lv models work without lc shutter but the adjustment is more difficult and works best in low light
by using a .8 nd filter in bright sunlight the live image worked worked well and was held with a bit of tape to flip it out of the way to take the shot
hence an lc shutter with lv cameraback does perform better as the lc shutter acts as a dynamic nd filter extending the working range of the ccd

thank you jwoolf for that really informative post
very much appreciated
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Nicolas Flamel

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 03:04:39 pm »

Hello, John!

My experience is that CS works ok with my 75H until I start the Focus Mode in LV.  What I heard is that not all Mac Pros behave in the same way. Some seem to work ok and some don´t.

Anyway I will try Leopard and hope that it will work. I will keep you updated! Thank you all ffor sharing your experiences!

Best regards

Nico

jwoolf

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 07:48:36 pm »

I've been testing the latest version of Captureshop -- 5.6.5b1 -- under 10.6.2 for three days without a crash!!!  They seem to have fixed the crashing problem when in video focus.  Here is my hardware:  Evolution 75 without LC shutter on an Arca Swiss 6x9 Metric with Digitar lens in Copal Shutter.  As you can see, NO M Camera, no digital shutter.  I don't know if these would cause a problem with 5.6.5b1.  I doubt it.  You should be able to get a copy of 5.6.5b1 from your Sinar Rep.  Looks like the problem is solved.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »

Quote from: jwoolf
The other option is to use Exposure 7.0.3.  It has great potential!  However, there are some issues with it.  ..... And it does not seem to hold most settings from shot to shot.  .....  But there are some other canned profiles to choose from which are very good and useful, but they do not hold shot to shot, so you have to remember to re-select.  Another annoyance.  Finally, you must do a lens plus sensor shading reference every time you start the software or you can get center fold lines in your files.  This, fortunately, seems to hold from shot to shot.

I am a daily user of eXposure, mostly tethered, with a eMotion 75LV back. I'm curious about the comments above, because I have seen none of them.

It does have a few bugs where things are forgotten after a quit and restart, but I never have to reselect white shadings, colour profiles etc from shot to shot. If your sensor (white) shading is saved in the correct folder and selected in the Capture tab then it should always be there every time you start the software, and automatically selected.

The same goes with the colour input profile, and the only thing I can think you may be doing wrong is changing it in the Process tab instead of the Capture tab. If you change it in the Process tab it won't automatically be applied to subsequent captures, but if you change it in the Capture tab it will.

I am a frequent defender of eXposure because it seems to get dismissed as being useless by most who use it briefly but not for long enough to get to know it intimately. Don't get me wrong - it definitely needs work and is not in the league of Capture One or even Phocus, it has only basic functions but is actually quite nice to use when you get to know it.

Ben
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:53:48 pm by bdp »
Pages: [1]   Go Up