Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: In the Street  (Read 4373 times)

seamus finn

In the Street
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:44:46 pm »

I don't know if these qualify as street shots in the context of the ongoing discussion in the 'Street Shots' thread'. At any rate, they were taken 'in the street'.

Cheers,

Seamus

[attachment=21046:kids_at_...d_house2.jpg]

[attachment=21033:admirer_at_stall.jpg]

[attachment=21039:puppet_boy.jpg]

[attachment=21040:coffee_maker.jpg]

[attachment=21042:Boy_with_gull.jpg]

[attachment=21043:children..._temple2.jpg]

Jeremy Payne

In the Street
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:47:36 pm »

Seamus ... the third one is GREAT.  I love it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
In the Street
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:59:24 pm »

Some great work there.  The fourth one certainly gets the nod for 'most unusual'.  Would be nice to see the flutist and his entourage 'dance'.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
In the Street
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

Seamus, They're all very good. I agree with Jeremy that #3 takes the cake. The kid in that picture is what does it. I don't think I've ever seen a cuter bunch of little girls than #6. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang

In the Street
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

#3 is my favorite too.
Great picture!

Bravo 2.

Fred.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
In the Street
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:11:01 pm »

Ditto to the others. A great bunch!

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

seamus finn

In the Street
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:30:46 am »

Thanks everybody.  

I'm taking the liberty of offering a few more.

[attachment=21068:Banana_RepublicLL.jpg]

[attachment=21064:opera_Barcelona3LL.jpg]

[attachment=21067:girl_wit...ainer2LL.jpg]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:26:04 am by seamus finn »

popnfresh

In the Street
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »

Seamus, this is a remarkable set of photographs. The two that stand out for me are the one with the boy and the bird and the last one with the street musician.

Compared to your other work I've seen here, these are on a whole other level entirely. You have met your metier, congratulations.

RSL

In the Street
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 07:48:08 pm »

Seamus, I agree with Pop. Wish I could see a book full of this kind of excellent work. Keep it up.

seamus finn

In the Street
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:30:27 pm »

Thank you very much - I'm very flattered. Now you've set me thinking hard. Maybe you'll change your minds after this:

[attachment=21121:beach_boys2.jpg]

[attachment=21122:cement_women.jpg]

[attachment=21123:granny_c...ng_child.jpg]

[attachment=21124:shadow_girl.jpg]

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:11:19 am by seamus finn »

popnfresh

In the Street
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »

Seamus - I won't be changing my mind. This last set is also wonderful.

RSL

In the Street
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 07:32:49 pm »

Seamus, Tell me something. For quite a while the stuff you were putting up -- the Druid's cottage for instance -- had all sorts of technical flaws. Now, the B&W's you're putting up are flawless -- even better than flawless, I'd call them masterful. The black point and white point are both there and the range of grays is exceptionally good. What changed? I'm sure I can learn something from you if you'll give away your secret.

popnfresh

In the Street
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:08:09 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Seamus, Tell me something. For quite a while the stuff you were putting up -- the Druid's cottage for instance -- had all sorts of technical flaws. Now, the B&W's you're putting up are flawless -- even better than flawless, I'd call them masterful. The black point and white point are both there and the range of grays is exceptionally good. What changed? I'm sure I can learn something from you if you'll give away your secret.
Clearly, this isn't the same Seamus. Original Seamus was spirited away by Martians and replaced by another Seamus who looks identical, but just happens to be a much better photographer. It's the only logical explanation.

RSL

In the Street
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:31:09 am »

I think he's shooting film.

seamus finn

In the Street
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:27:31 am »

For better or worse, it’s the same me, Popnfresh – the one who spent years and years in a home attic darkroom trying to come to grips with the challenges of producing a decent print containing a pure white and a pure black and including as many shades of grey as the paper would yield.  At the end of all that, I wouldn’t say I was very technically accomplished –  maybe clumsily competent. Recently, I did a trawl of all my bw negs and threw about half of them in the bin on technical grounds alone.  With the benefit of 25 years hindsight, they were woeful in every technical way – but was there any other way to learn?  So, sorry, Russ, no big secret. Just application, learning the hard way and reading everything I could find on the subject.  But, boy, it was a lot of fun at the time!

- Seamus
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:13:59 am by seamus finn »

RSL

In the Street
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 03:19:55 pm »

Seamus, I love B&W too, and I've gradually been moving back more and more toward it. But I'm not sure my techniques are as good as yours. It's been quite a while since I've seen the kind of quality I see in your B&Ws. Yes, I agree, landscape is very difficult technically. The difficulties you run into in street photography are compositional, not so much technical. I have a feeling you drive your black point down farther than most, though here's one that's going in as an advertisement in B&W magazine where I may have taken the black point down roughly to the same place you're taking yours:

[attachment=21166:Rainstorm.jpg]

Still, I'm not sure I'm as happy with it as I'd be with, say, the little girls in your first batch of pictures above.

Ah well, I'm about to take off for three days and go over to St. Augustine on the east coast of Florida. I hope I can get some good shots over there -- maybe like this one, which I shot two years ago -- one of my favorites:

[attachment=21167:Fifth_Grade.jpg]

seamus finn

In the Street
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »

Enjoy the trip, Russ. If you get anything good, please share here. I'm heading to Spain for a few weeks in April and I'll be on a similar mission.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
In the Street
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 12:18:53 pm »

Very nice images.
Just too many to comment them all.
Bravo!
And I love seeing you doing it in B/W.

popnfresh

In the Street
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 02:11:36 pm »

Quote from: seamus finn
I’m amazed at the reaction to the bw images here. I don’t think any one of them has a commercial potential. As has been mentioned in another thread here, would you buy a ‘street’ shot and put it up on your living-room wall? I doubt it. I’ve been fortunate enough to have had a few exhibitions over the years, and to have sold a few prints now and again, but, ironically, many of them were either sepia-toned (chemically) landscapes or colour (Epson printer).

Seamus - I have to respectfully disagree. People put all sorts of things on their walls, and some of the most important photographers shot street scenes more or less exclusively. Cartier-Bresson and Brassai come to mind, and they're on plenty of walls. I think if you marketed your work better you might be surprised at just how marketable some of these images are.

seamus finn

In the Street
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:18:35 am »

Very true, popnfresh - my difficulty is that I don't market them at all!  However, I'm in the process of putting a website together so maybe that might help - if it ever sees the light of day.

Too many images is right, ChristopherC - sorry about that. Put it down to a rush of blood to the head.

Cheers,

Seamus
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:09:32 am by seamus finn »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up