Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scitex Eversmart Pro 2 scanner  (Read 14496 times)

hauxon

Scitex Eversmart Pro 2 scanner
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:43:31 am »

Don't know if this is the right forum.  But the questions are about large-format film scanning.

I have a Scitex Eversmart Pro 2 scanner laying around unused here at work and would like to get it up and running.

Does anyone know if there are Windows drivers available somewhere?
What about drivers for Mac OS X?

I checked the compatibility list for VueScan but could not see the scanner listed.

Anyone here using one? Do I need to search for an old G3 or G4 to use it?

Thanks, Hrannar

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:42 am »

Quote from: hauxon
Don't know if this is the right forum.  But the questions are about large-format film scanning.

I have a Scitex Eversmart Pro 2 scanner laying around unused here at work and would like to get it up and running.

I checked the compatibility list for VueScan but could not see the scanner listed.

Thanks, Hrannar

You should be able to get some advice and support from the Kodak representative in your country and/ or look for drivers and manuals on Kodak's support website
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:32:26 am »

Kodak has discontinued support for most scanners. oXYgen scan software for the PC is extremely crippled. The OSX version is at version 2.6.3, I think. Far better resources are the Scan Hi-End group on yahoo and the Large Format Photography forum, which has many pro scanner users. I have an iQSmart2 that I recently set up, though not used a lot.

Cheers,
Kumar

hauxon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:08:27 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I kind of knew Kodak had acquired Scitex through Creo.  Here in Iceland the Kodak representative is bankrupt and did not much more than distribute Kodak film while in business.  So contacting them would probably lead us nowhere.  Maybe I could contact Kodak in the UK or Denmark??

Kumar, oXYgen scan, is it the Kodak scanning software? ..and might work with the older Scitex scanners?

I'll check out the other forums.

Thanks,
Hrannar

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:42 pm »

i worked on that scanner in the late 90's, I was impressed for a flat bed. This was Mac OS 9 I think - I have a mirror door dual 1.42 G4 that still boots OS9, might have been the best machine I ever owned. if you were seeking a OS9 machine, these were some of the last machines to boot OS9. google the scanner, tons of info out there

jim
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:38:03 pm by jimgolden »

Kumar

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:40:29 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I kind of knew Kodak had acquired Scitex through Creo.  Here in Iceland the Kodak representative is bankrupt and did not much more than distribute Kodak film while in business.  So contacting them would probably lead us nowhere.  Maybe I could contact Kodak in the UK or Denmark??

Kumar, oXYgen scan, is it the Kodak scanning software? ..and might work with the older Scitex scanners?

I'll check out the other forums.

Thanks,
Hrannar

Hrannar, here's the chart for the various Kodak scanners and different versions of oXYgen scan software.

Cheers,
Kumar

Evanjoe610

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »

Hrannar,

Your scanner has the Firewire panel on the back, thus allowing it to hook up to the PowerPC G5.
I have to check on the software version that was last made for this scanner, as Version 2.63 as mentioned by Kumar, might not be for
this model.

I have attached the correct scanner brochure for this model. Finding the correct bulbs would be a future issue, because Kodak had discontinued
the Eversmart line as of Dec. 2009  All product support and spare parts will no longer be available after April 30, 2010.

If you have the scanner software run a diagnostic of the scanner. Of course before you move the scanner, you must LOCK down the CCD head.

Check on the Yahoo Hi-End Scan Group and also the Large Format Forum.
The Scitex scanners are fantastic scanners, too bad Kodak couldn't keep it going.

Evan

Thanks, Hrannar

Kumar

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

Quote from: Evanjoe610
I have to check on the software version that was last made for this scanner, as Version 2.63 as mentioned by Kumar, might not be for this model.
Evan

Evan, I posted the software/scanner compatibility chart, which says the EverSmart Pro II is supported on Mac OS 9.2.x by all versions older than version 2.3.5.
For Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) & Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger) (PPC only), an upgrade to version 2.3.5.1 + FireWire Connectivity Kit is required. If the scanner already has Firewire, then version 2.3.5.1 is required.

Kumar

hauxon

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:55:41 pm »

The scanner is now in my possession and I'm back on getting it to work.

The firewire connectivity kit, is it a Scitex or Creo product or just a regular SCSI-Firewire adapter?

And the scanning software, ...it seems like the english CD is lost, I only have german and french
language CD's (but all installation, maintainence, exercises books in english)  Do you think it will be
difficult to get an english language software somewhere?

Thanks, Hrannar

pmw

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 05:12:04 pm »

The manuals in english can be found on the high-end scanner group on Yahoo (in the files section). Here you will also find a very useful maintenance manual explaining how to clean the silver mirror inside the scanner. This greatly improved the scans on a Scitex Eversmart Pro that I bought recently. The software itself is more difficult to find. You might try Genesis Equipment, they might be able to get it for you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:17:37 pm by pmw »
Pages: [1]   Go Up