Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR3 2b painfully long wait to import photos  (Read 1610 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
LR3 2b painfully long wait to import photos
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:28:45 am »

Just trying the new beta and the import photos dialogue seems badly broken here.
When I launch it, I have to wait several minutes for the dialogue box to be responsive and be able to select a source to import from.
Part of this may be that it's looking at my drive X:\(default) which is my empty card reader ( I never import directly from a card).

Is anyone else seeing this ? or know how to change the default import source to something that might be more responsive (eg an internal drive) ?

I really hate this change to LR 3 the old v2 import process was SO much better.

Thanks in advance.

Running W7 64bt

Yes I will post this problem to Adobe when I've worked out how bad it is and if it's just the default drive location causing the problem.....

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:11 pm »

I had a different problem this morning.  Running Windows 7 (32-bit), and my laptop has a built-in reader for SD cards.  Put the card in the slot and LR3B2 (is it just me or is Adobe approaching Canon in the names department?) launched.  I have 'eject card after import' selected, and it imported the images just fine and 'ejected' the card.  It also disabled the card reader completely.  I haven't done so yet, but I'm assuming rebooting the computer will re-enable it.  Right now even Windows Explorer won't acknowledge that there's a card in there.  I'm going to post this on the LR bug report form when I get a moment.

Mike.

Update:
Shutting down/ restarting solved the problem, but there's more.  I also have a USB reader for my desktop, so I tried the same SD card with that - worked fine.  Undaunted, I put the SD card back in the integral reader and it also worked fine.  After some head scratching I remembered that I had updated to Firefox 3.62 last night, so - MAYBE - there was a conflict that affected the device driver that shutting down and/or re-reading the registry fixed.  Nothing worse than an intermittent problem.  I posted this on the LR Forums at Adobe - there are others there having import problems so you may want to read there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:45:52 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Rhossydd

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:06:21 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
and it imported the images just fine and 'ejected' the card.  It also disabled the card reader completely.  I haven't done so yet, but I'm assuming rebooting the computer will re-enable it.....
This isn't a Lightroom issue at all, it's standard Windows behaviour. If you "eject" a card reader it purges the write cache and disables the hardware to allow safe removal without data loss.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:12:48 am »

I also have several empty card readers installed and don't have this problem.

Haven't timed it but it feels there is no great import speed or responsiveness between LR2.6 and LR3B2 on my system (Win XP home)
pieter, aka pegelli

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:23:03 am »

Quote from: Rhossydd
Part of this may be that it's looking at my drive X:\(default) which is my empty card reader ( I never import directly from a card).
Yes I will post this problem to Adobe when I've worked out how bad it is and if it's just the default drive location causing the problem.....

I've actually got this wrong, my drive X:\ is a virtual drive letter for my online storage facility via Jungle disk.
Popping a memory card in the built in reader works fine and LR3 immediately selects that as default import location instead.

Jungle disk by default configures it's online drive space to appear as a removable drive, so when LR's import routine starts up it looks at the Jungle disk virtual drive first. Being online and appearing at 1tb it takes a a long time to assimilate it and for the import dialogue to become available.

The solution is to configure Jungle disk to appear as a network drive and LR3 ignores it, unless specifically pointed at it. The the import dialogue works as Adobe intends.

I hope this may be of help to anyone else finding this behaviour irritating.

I still really dislike this new import routine.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:33:36 am by Rhossydd »
Pages: [1]   Go Up