Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe CS5  (Read 19523 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Adobe CS5
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2010, 04:47:51 am »

The new automated lens correction looks very useful. From the screen shots it looks like a plug-in type addition, so I really, REALLY hope this will be a ported feature from the forthcoming LR3. It's the sort of function that really ought to be at the root of the workflow, not an addition at the end.

For a look at all the photo relevant additions to PS CS5 Rob Galbraith has a good summary at http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...d=7-10050-10615

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Adobe CS5
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »

Should we assume that the under the hood changes in CS5 are significant enough that all or most third party plugins will need to be rewritten to work properly?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Adobe CS5
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Should we assume that the under the hood changes in CS5 are significant enough that all or most third party plugins will need to be rewritten to work properly?

For Mac, yes...CS5 is 64 bit (on the proper MacIntel hardware) and Mac plug-in versions will need to be updated to work in 64 bit...

Doyle Yoder

Adobe CS5
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 02:23:28 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
For Mac, yes...CS5 is 64 bit (on the proper MacIntel hardware) and Mac plug-in versions will need to be updated to work in 64 bit...

But can we assume that running CS5 in 32-bit mode, the existing plugins will work?

Doyle

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Adobe CS5
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 02:55:00 pm »

However, AFTER April 12th, if you buy Photoshop CS4, you will get a free upgrade to CS5 (for the cost of shipping) and since Adobe has limited the backwards version upgrade to 3 versions, people who are currently using Photoshop CS will seriously want to upgrade to SC4 once the announce happens but BEFORE CS5 actually ships. Once CS5 actually ships, only Photoshop CS2 will be eligible for upgrade pricing...

Well, today's the official CS5 launch, and it looks to have some interesting new features.  One thing I found puzzling, though, for all of the folks here who have association with Adobe...  I was wandering around the adobe.com website today, checking out some of the videos, etc. but EVERY reference to CS4 has been obliterated from the Adobe website.  I can understand Adobe wanting to emphasize CS5, but if I understand things correctly, it won't be shipping for several weeks yet.  From the Adobe site, you could not purchase or download CS4 or any of the components today even if you wanted to.  Any links to CS4 pages automatically redirect you to a page where you can pre-order or be notified about CS5.

I'm sure they had their reasons, but it seems strange to me.  

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

capital

• Website
Adobe CS5
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »

When I checked out the adobe site's listing of features they bill towards photographer they indicate

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ph...?segment=design

"More powerful printing options enhanced

Get outstanding prints in less time with automation, scripting, and a print dialog box that's easier to navigate."

I can not find any elaboration on this on their site or FAQs, does anyone know what enhancements have been made? Also, will CS5 Windows PC version support native 16 bit printing?

Finally, on this URL

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ph...ent=photography

They indicate, "Superior black-and-white conversion enhanced

Explore an endless variety of black-and-white looks. Use the integrated Lab B&W Action to interactively color images, create gorgeous HDR black-and-whites with greater ease and speed, and experiment with new presets."  

What differences will one see compared to the Black & White Adjustment Layer found under CS4?

Thank you for any input on these topics.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Adobe CS5
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:23 pm »

Quote from: capital
When I checked out the adobe site's listing of features they bill towards photographer they indicate

Get outstanding prints in less time with automation, scripting, and a print dialog box that's easier to navigate."

I can not find any elaboration on this on their site or FAQs, does anyone know what enhancements have been made? Also, will CS5 Windows PC version support native 16 bit printing?

The print dialog box has been improved and you can now save image specific print settings in Photoshop CS5. It appears 16bit native printing is still limited to Mac OS.

Finally, on this URL

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ph...ent=photography

They indicate, "Superior black-and-white conversion enhanced

Explore an endless variety of black-and-white looks. Use the integrated Lab B&W Action to interactively color images, create gorgeous HDR black-and-whites with greater ease and speed, and experiment with new presets."  

What differences will one see compared to the Black & White Adjustment Layer found under CS4?

Thank you for any input on these topics.

The B&W conversion dialog panel appears identical to that of CS4. What is new is the HDR toning panel that creates an HDR "look" from single color or B&W images.

Please note that these are my personal opinions from Beta testing Photoshop CS5, they do not necessarily represent the opinions of Adobe. Finally for the naysayers, I now have permission from Adobe Product Management to discuss my experience with using Photoshop CS5.
Gerald J Skrocki

Farmer

Adobe CS5
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »

Quote from: capital

No 16bit printing on Windows because Windows doesn't support it.  Honestly, you're not missing out on much in the vast majority of cases.  In fact, you usually have to work hard to find an image that really benefits.

Some of the print enhancements include the ability to script printing which results from a few changes to the UI and the process (ie where you access certain print options).
Phil Brown

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Adobe CS5
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 08:09:19 pm »

Quote from: francois
Me too, this could be a huge time saver. I was not thrilled by CS4 but CS5 promises to be very"interesting".

Hi Francois,

I agree, CS4 looked mostly like a revenue generating maintenance update (including some bugs, advertized as features). CS5 on the other hand (finally) adds a couple of useful (for a variety of users) features. It seems that I skipped the right version for a real upGrade.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Adobe CS5
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 08:33:40 pm »

Here's another question for those who've played with it:  Do images open to the secondary display, as they did on all versions prior to CS4, if your secondary display is used only for images and the menu bar and palettes are on the primary display?  This behavior seemed to show up with CS4 and OpenGL, but continues to occur even when OpenGL is turned off.  It's just a bit of an annoyance to have to drag every image to my other monitor each time.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

jerryrock

Adobe CS5
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 08:41:27 pm »

Quote from: GBPhoto
I've seen a couple reports on the updated lens distortion capabilities in CS5.  Looks like it's still accessed in Photoshop proper as a filter.  Does this mean no lens corrections available in ACR (Lightroom)?

Rob Galbraith's report mentioned a lens profiler utility.  Will complex geometric distortions (moustache) be dealt with, or are corrections still limited to simple barrel/pincushion adjustments?

Thanks!

The ACR 6 lens correction is limited to adjusting chromatic aberration and vignetting. Photoshop CS5 offers the same manual lens corrections as CS4 (pincushion/barrel distortion, vertical and horizontal perspective, angle, vignetting and chromatic aberration) but also has a fully automated feature that corrects for specific camera and lens combinations using an updatable database.

Further adjustments to compensate for geometric distortions can be made with the new puppet warp tool.
Gerald J Skrocki

Farmer

Adobe CS5
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:50 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Here's another question for those who've played with it:  Do images open to the secondary display, as they did on all versions prior to CS4, if your secondary display is used only for images and the menu bar and palettes are on the primary display?  This behavior seemed to show up with CS4 and OpenGL, but continues to occur even when OpenGL is turned off.  It's just a bit of an annoyance to have to drag every image to my other monitor each time.

No.  Unfortuantely, that's still an issue.  It's not an OpenGL problem and it's very annoying to me, too.
Phil Brown

Farmer

Adobe CS5
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 10:26:50 pm »

So the automated database only accounts for simple pincushion/barrel distortion?

It's more detailed than that.  It deals with distortion, CA, vignettes and so on.

Also, Sigma just announced that they've been working with Adobe to have their lenses in the database:

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/index.htm
Phil Brown

Farmer

Adobe CS5
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »

Yes, sorry for being unclear.  I was referring only to the distortion component of the corrections.  

Can anyone confirm if complex geometric corrections are possible in the new lens correction system?

The new system is automated.  What sort of things specifically are you hoping for it to do?  The old manual corrections are still possible within PS or you can use the new Puppet Warp as another tool.

That sounds promising, hopefully other manufacturers will be there as well.

Indeed!
Phil Brown

marliz

Adobe CS5
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2010, 01:01:01 am »

For those who are still using Photoshop CS3 and thinking of upgrading:
I just ordered CS4 today. I shy away from software until as many bugs are killed as possible. Now I can use CS4 until 5 seems stable and I'll have the free upgrade ready!

Quote from: Schewe
Wrong...April 12th is the official launch (announce) and the final release is traditionally within 30 days or so...except for Lightroom, Adobe does not ship on the same day of announce...the Creative Suite will take weeks to get "into the channel" for release....

However, AFTER April 12th, if you buy Photoshop CS4, you will get a free upgrade to CS5 (for the cost of shipping) and since Adobe has limited the backwards version upgrade to 3 versions, people who are currently using Photoshop CS will seriously want to upgrade to SC4 once the announce happens but BEFORE CS5 actually ships. Once CS5 actually ships, only Photoshop CS2 will be eligible for upgrade pricing...

bjanes

Adobe CS5
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:03 am »

Quote from: Doyle Yoder
But can we assume that running CS5 in 32-bit mode, the existing plugins will work?

Doyle
Windows CS4 with a 64 bit OS installs both 32 and 64 bit versions and the 32 bit plugins work fine in 32 bit mode. Perhaps the same will apply to the Mac.

hsmeets

Adobe CS5
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2010, 08:23:36 am »

I currently use PS CS4 but have a hard time to justify an upgrade to CS5. I edit my photographs: cloning/healing of small artifacts, curves adjustment using layer masks, colorbalance, B&W conversion, cropping/uprezzing, sharpening, blur (just to soften the edges of the masks for smooth transition of the adjustment), lens distortion, stitching of pano's and softproofing. And that all on 16bits file in AdobeRGB or ProfotoRGB color space. That's it. The only new feature that comes close to wanting is content aware fill to do some cloning/healing with more comfort.

Much could be handled by Lightroom/Aperture already but I just like the way local adjustments are done via layer masks and the use of the canon print plugin to circument Adobe's and OSX print dialogs

I suspect that new versions of lightroom&aperture in 2 to 3 years will do everything I need/want at lower costs....so maybe CS4 was my first and last version of PS......
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:26:19 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

jerryrock

Adobe CS5
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2010, 09:06:11 am »

The best reason for Mac users to upgrade to CS5 is 64bit compatibility. Photoshop CS5 can now access all of your system ram and better utilizes the GPU and Open GL making the application much faster.
Gerald J Skrocki

madmanchan

• Web
Adobe CS5
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 04:11:43 pm »

Can anyone confirm if complex geometric corrections are possible in the new lens correction system?

Yes, Alan.

The mathematical model used by the CS5 lens corrections plug-in enables the correction of complex distortion (such as the "moustache" or "wave" distortion that you mentioned previously), in addition to simpler distortion characteristics such as barrel and pincushion. Profiles are tailored to the distortion characteristics of the lens.

The model will be published publicly in a tech report / white paper (around the time CS5 ships).

Eric
Eric Chan

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
Adobe CS5
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 05:03:25 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
Yes, Alan.

The mathematical model used by the CS5 lens corrections plug-in enables the correction of complex distortion (such as the "moustache" or "wave" distortion that you mentioned previously), in addition to simpler distortion characteristics such as barrel and pincushion. Profiles are tailored to the distortion characteristics of the lens.
Eric

Hi Eric. How will the features of CS5 lens correction compare with those of DxO Optics Pro? It would be good not to need a third party program to convert RAW files with body- and lens-specific corrections.

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up