Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe CS5  (Read 19528 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Adobe CS5
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 11:48:36 am »

Quote from: jerryrock
Today I can officially announce that I have been a beta tester for Photoshop CS5. I can not discuss the features of the program, so please do not ask. I can post images made with CS5.

Really? What makes you think your NDA is now up?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Adobe CS5
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 12:01:09 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Really? What makes you think your NDA is now up?

Limited disclosure has been granted to further promote the official launch on April 12th by Pam Clark,Photoshop Group Product Manager.
Strictly limited to acknowledging that the product does exist, that I am a pre release tester, and that I may post images labelled as being created with Adobe Photoshop CS5.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:04:01 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Adobe CS5
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 12:14:36 pm »

Limited disclosure has been granted to further promote the official launch on April 12th by Pam Clark,Photoshop Group Product Manager.
Strictly limited to acknowledging that the product does exist, that I am a pre release tester, and that I may post images labelled as being created with Adobe Photoshop CS5.

Key word is limited! As Schewe mentioned to you above, its simply a launch, and for whatever reason, you feel (unlike some early beta and alpha testers here and elsewhere), you need to speak up about a product that is still under strict NDA restrictions. You can go that route, but don’t be surprised that this will be the last time you’ll be invited back to whatever late beta program you are apparently enrolled in.

jerryrock

Adobe CS5
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 12:30:11 pm »

Key word is limited! As Schewe mentioned to you above, its simply a launch, and for whatever reason, you feel (unlike some early beta and alpha testers here and elsewhere), you need to speak up about a product that is still under strict NDA restrictions. You can go that route, but don’t be surprised that this will be the last time you’ll be invited back to whatever late beta program you are apparently enrolled in.

Please note that the beta testers are being encouraged to release this information as a part of the product promotion. This in no way violates the NDA. If you want more information about the pre release program, please contact Adobe PR.
Gerald J Skrocki

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Adobe CS5
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 12:38:35 pm »

Please note that the beta testers are being encouraged to release this information as a part of the product promotion. This in no way violates the NDA. If you want more information about the pre release program, please contact Adobe PR.

What information? That’s the point.

Seems some who’ve never been a beta, enrolled in some very late program are apparently being told to promote a launch which is a far, far cry from saying very much, still enforced in their NDA (not that such people may or likely will say things they shouldn’t).

Headline news. Adobe is going to have a launch of CS5 next month. Super duper headline news, Jerry got his hands on a beta.

At least he had the foresight to say “I can not discuss the features of the program, so please do not ask.“ Otherwise, nothing newsworthy... yet.

DarkPenguin

Adobe CS5
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 01:16:54 pm »

Is there any reason this conversation isn't happening in PMs?

jerryrock

Adobe CS5
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:35 pm »

Seems some who’ve never been a beta, enrolled in some very late program are apparently being told to promote a launch which is a far, far cry from saying very much, still enforced in their NDA (not that such people may or likely will say things they shouldn’t).

Headline news. Adobe is going to have a launch of CS5 next month. Super duper headline news, Jerry got his hands on a beta.

At least he had the foresight to say “I can not discuss the features of the program, so please do not ask.“ Otherwise, nothing newsworthy... yet.

As Vice President Biden put it, "This IS a big F____ing deal!"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:54:46 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Adobe CS5
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 01:55:25 pm »

Breaking news! BREAKING DIGITAL IMAGING NEWS!

The image on the top was processed in CS3 with the aid of a 3rd party plug in.
The image on the bottom was processed in CS3 with the aid of a beta of a 3rd party plug in.

They look different. I can’t tell you anything about the reasons why they look different. Don’t ask. But this is a BIG F____ing deal!

Most news worthy is that I have this beta and you probably don’t! . Here’s where we need Stuart Smalley to say: I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me.

End of Breaking digital imaging news. Now back to some useful posts one would hope.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:55:58 pm by digitaldog »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Adobe CS5
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 02:08:01 pm »

What's happening to LL?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Adobe CS5
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 11:42:55 pm »

Andrew I thought this was a little unusual, but it would appear that the late beta testers have been encouraged to do exactly what Jerry has done on LL.
It's just marketing it would seem, a way of building up a little bit more buzz about the forthcoming version of PS. So they are doing as they were told to, so time to chill out and do some bug reports to prove you are a proper tester!  
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Adobe CS5
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 04:28:16 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
First Lightroom 3 Beta 2, and today Adobe also announced the launch of CS5...

Do we already know whether CS5 will be 64 bits on OSX and finally able to deal with common operations like open and save in a fully multi-threaded way? When the next generation of Mac Pros will probably feature up to 24 cores (taking into account hyper threading) and 64GB or RAM, I will want my core high end imaging application to be able to tap fully into this potential.

The time it takes to save a large tiff file in compressed mode is so upsetting that I have given up and am now running into HD space issues accordingly... those are going to end up costing me several times the value of CS4/CS5.

I hope that John and his team did focus on making PS CS5 the fast and scalable imaging platform it has to be and will let 3rd party plugin vendors deal with the exotic stuff that they always do better anyway.

Cheers,
Bernard

Farmer

Adobe CS5
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 04:31:48 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Do we already know whether CS5 will be 64 bits on OSX and finally able to deal with common operations like open and save in a fully multi-threaded way? When the next generation of Mac Pros will probably feature up to 24 cores (taking into account hyper threading) and 64GB or RAM, I will want my core high end imaging application to be able to tap fully into this potential.

The time it takes to save a large tiff file in compressed mode is so upsetting that I have given up and am now running into HD space issues accordingly... those are going to end up costing me several times the value of CS4/CS5.

I hope that John and his team did focus on making PS CS5 the fast and scalable imaging platform it has to be and will let 3rd party plugin vendors deal with the exotic stuff that they always do better anyway.

Cheers,
Bernard

No one who knows anything can comment yet, Bernard.  After the 12th, you'll have all the answers :-)
Phil Brown

kers

• Pieter Kers
Adobe CS5
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 09:20:51 am »

I skipped going from CS3 to 4 but being a Mac owner CS5 will finally bring some real progress one should think.

Indeed opening and saving files with the use of only one core should finally be addressed... a real timesaver that would be.
The software is cores behind with the hardware- My two year 'old' 8 core MacPro has not been able to show its full potential yet.

--

In CS4 i could not find the shift-8 command ( to show the red mask overlay)
Where did that go?  somebody?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:17:49 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Doyle Yoder

Adobe CS5
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 10:16:27 am »

Quote from: kers
Indeed opening en saving files with the use of only one core should finally be addressed... a real timesaver that would be.
The software is cores behind with the hardware- My two year 'old' 8 core MacPro has not been able to to show its full potential yet.

I have had this very same discussion with Adobe people. I wouldn't count on it but I hope I am surprised.

Doyle

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Adobe CS5
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »

Do we already know whether CS5 will be 64 bits on OSX and finally able to deal with common operations like open and save in a fully multi-threaded way?

Adobe has already stated that Photoshop CS5 will be 64 bit, MacIntel only and require at least Leopard 10.5.8 or above to run. As to the rest of your questions...can't say (mostly because I don't know). The thing I do know was that converting from Carbon to Cocoa APIs was a monstrous effort so I don't know how much time they could have thrown at other issues. Photoshop has been multi-core and multithreaded for a long time but people tend to have unrealistic expectations that 2 cores should be 2x and 8 should be 8x the speed...some stuff in Photoshop can't be scaled and split across cores...but I can tell you I just got a new Mac and packed 32 gigs in it and have 15K SAS drives for OS and Scratch so we'll see...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:19:55 pm by Schewe »

bjanes

Adobe CS5
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 02:18:07 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Adobe has already stated that Photoshop CS5 will be 64 bit, MacIntel only and require at least Leopard 10.5.8 or above to run. As to the rest of your questions...can't say (mostly because I don't know). The thing I do know was that converting from Carbon to Cocoa APIs was a monstrous effort so I don't know how much time they could have thrown at other issues.

As a longtime Windows Photoshop user, I am pi$$ed off that Steve Jobs' fickleness in abruptly changing the 64 bit MAC APIs to Cocoa from Carbon as outlined in this post on Apple Insider required Adobe to devote massive engineer work to the changeover of APIs, thus depriving us all of features that could have been implemented if Apple had not abruptly changed course.

Bill

Farmer

Adobe CS5
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 05:52:54 pm »

Adobe has already stated that Photoshop CS5 will be 64 bit, MacIntel only and require at least Leopard 10.5.8 or above to run. As to the rest of your questions...can't say (mostly because I don't know). The thing I do know was that converting from Carbon to Cocoa APIs was a monstrous effort so I don't know how much time they could have thrown at other issues. Photoshop has been multi-core and multithreaded for a long time but people tend to have unrealistic expectations that 2 cores should be 2x and 8 should be 8x the speed...some stuff in Photoshop can't be scaled and split across cores...but I can tell you I just got a new Mac and packed 32 gigs in it and have 15K SAS drives for OS and Scratch so we'll see...

To add to Jeff's good points, there are also some functions that slow down if you try to split them over multiple cores, plus you decrease available memory in some circumstances when you use more cores.
Phil Brown

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Adobe CS5
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:43 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. 64bits is already very good news.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
Adobe CS5
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 11:54:53 pm »

When performing Batch actions Photoshop could probably attack muliple files simultaneously. That is why DXO works so fast in batch mode and uses all 8 cores of my Mac.
However Photoshop handles only one file at a time in CS3 ( DXO around 4 )
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:55:49 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Adobe CS5
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 04:02:39 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Correction: It seems Photoshop CS5 is 64bit!

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ph...e/?view=compare

In that case I will definitely be upgrading.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:16:01 am by Dustbak »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up