Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson x900 Series: Paper  (Read 1727 times)

OlinYered

Epson x900 Series: Paper
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:04:10 am »

Hello LL Community Members

I am probably in a similar situation to many of you.  I am an independent printer, using an Epson 9900 for low/moderate use making reproductions for sale in the art print market.  Paper is expensive, and there are so many choices on the market that it becomes prohibitive for a single user to have the resources to systematically test them all.  

My specific needs are: 'giclee' reproductions on canvas (gallery wrap; unframed); 'giclee' on paper (matt, framed); art posters (paper; paper on foamboard); art cards.  I need products that reflect a 'sweet spot' for quality and price; not the highest end, but not necessarily bargain basement either.

Given that, I am looking to build a consensus around experiences of users with various paper types with the Epson x900 models.  

I have employed the following products:

Epson Canvas. [S041533]  
I did not like my initial results with Epson's budget canvas; the ink peeled very easily, and scuffed with light scratching.  Required very gentle handling post-printing, including subsequent stretching.  Was not very stretch-friendly.

Epson Satin Canvas.  [S045069]
Handled much better post-printing compared to S041533.  More robust through stretching, and easier to stretch.  It seems a good product, but was priced to the higher end.  However, it no longer seems to be available?

Epson Semi Gloss Paper. [S041228]  
I have been using this for posters; it has been certainly adequate thus far.  But are the colors a little drab, compared to the (calibrated) screen?

It would be beneficial to hear a brief snapshot of users experiences with other paper types, especially those users who are looking to make canvas/fine art giclee prints on an Epson x900, and are pitching at a similar market - decent quality, decent price.  

Cheers,

Olin

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:46:24 am »

Olin,

Welcome to the forums! I suggest you just browse through a few pages of forum posts here, as there are many, many, threads that discuss paper selection. The Epson x900 series is a pretty popular range of printer, and most (all?) of the paper discussed here will work in it. There are specific threads on canvas suggestions too that should be pretty easy to find using the search function.

Hope this helps,

Neil

Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

OlinYered

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »

Quote from: neile
Olin,

Welcome to the forums! I suggest you just browse through a few pages of forum posts here, as there are many, many, threads that discuss paper selection. The Epson x900 series is a pretty popular range of printer, and most (all?) of the paper discussed here will work in it. There are specific threads on canvas suggestions too that should be pretty easy to find using the search function.

Hope this helps,

Neil

Thanks Neil, and I appreciate the sentiment.  On many newsgroups and forums a large body of knowledge is accumulated over time; a natural response is to suggest browsing it.  On LL, a search can yield books worth of hits, much not relevant to the query at hand. There are a myriad of uses of these amazing tools; posts cover such a breadth of information that collating best practices in this manner is nigh on impossible; and time consuming to boot.

What I was hoping to start, and perhaps I should have labelled it thus, was a specific thread concerning the development of user-determined best practices as they apply to a specific product, the Epson X900, as employed to produce content for the mid-market giclee and art print market.  

A best practices orientation deals with the practicalities of making a business out of the use of these tools.  I was looking to pull together the Epson users who are dealing with my issues: quality, price, etc., in the art print/giclee sector.  Best practices, if we collate experiences, could grow to incorporate dealing with a full Epson-centric workflow from paper to finishing, and all points in between.

While my experiences are admittedly limited, others have been involved in this for some time.  A description of others' successful workflows, and data concerning the development/testing performed along the way, would be extremely useful.  Paper is but one component admittedly, but along with ink, it is a significant cost/print determining factor.

Olin

Pages: [1]   Go Up