Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Close-up Filters  (Read 8449 times)

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
Close-up Filters
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:06:51 pm »

So I just got the sony a850 and am looking forward to getting the zeiss 24-70 lens for an upcoming backcountry hike. As this is a heavy combo, I don't want to carry a dedicated macro lens so was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for close-up lenses/filters (with a 77mm thread).

It seems like there are a variety, but supposedly the achromatic/apochromat(?) versions are much better as well as providing better focusing properties.

Any help is much appreciated!

Jeremy Payne

Close-up Filters
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:13:13 pm »

Quote from: EliBurak
So I just got the sony a850 and am looking forward to getting the zeiss 24-70 lens for an upcoming backcountry hike. As this is a heavy combo, I don't want to carry a dedicated macro lens so was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for close-up lenses/filters (with a 77mm thread).

It seems like there are a variety, but supposedly the achromatic/apochromat(?) versions are much better as well as providing better focusing properties.

I use a Canon 500D on my Nikon 70-200mm and a Canon 250D on my Nikon 50mm .. and often add a 1.7x TC to the 70-200 as well.

The 500D comes in a 77mm mount and I love it.

Here's an example with the 500D + 70-200 + 1.7x TC:

... and here is an example with the 50mm + 250D:

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Close-up Filters
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:15:57 pm »

I seem to recall that extension tubes are superior to screw-on close up lenses. Is this still true? Was it ever true? A set of tubes would be a pretty light weight addition to your pack.

Jeremy Payne

Close-up Filters
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I seem to recall that extension tubes are superior to screw-on close up lenses. Is this still true? Was it ever true? A set of tubes would be a pretty light weight addition to your pack.
I think that's probably true.

Given that both a diopter and/or a TC put additional optics in the mix ... that can't help ... whereas a tube adds nothing but space.

That said, I'm satisfied with the quality of a diopter in front of a quality lens - even with a TC added to the equation.

What I like best about the lens + diopter combo is that I never have to take the lens off the mount to switch between macro and non-macro ... which can often be a blessing in the field ...

telyt

Close-up Filters
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:46:57 am »

Quote from: PeterAit
I seem to recall that extension tubes are superior to screw-on close up lenses.

Depends on the lens.  With a zoom you're probably better off with the achromat lens.

Jeremy Payne

Close-up Filters
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:17:11 am »

Quote from: telyt
Depends on the lens.  With a zoom you're probably better off with the achromat lens.
Innnerrrestin' ... why is that (about the zoom)?

spidermike

Close-up Filters
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:09:30 am »

I have just started using my Canon 500D dioptre lens and like Jeremy I got it because I like the idea of swapping 'normal' to macro without removing the lens. So far I am happy with the images I am getting.
I understand the advantage of the extension tube is potentially better image quality because there is not another air/glass interface in the lightpath; but the disadvantage (compared to the filter) is that because of the longer lightpath the amount of light reaching the sensor is less and the image resultingly dimmer (= longer exposure or less depth of field).

Take your pick...

CynthiaM

• http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/
Close-up Filters
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »

I have the Canon 500d closeup filter (77mm thread) and have often used it on a 24-105 zoom.  I bought primarily as a substitute  for a macro lens to use when I travel; it's one less lens to carry.  It's nice to use it to capture the flora.  Here are a few from a trip to Alaska:
Black Spruce:

Aspen Leaf Minor trails:

Wildflowers:

Cynthia Merzer
[url=http://www.cynthiame

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Close-up Filters
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:02 am »

With the 500D I generally use, there isn't much depth of field, but that isn't unique to the closeup lenses, compared to macro lenses. I also attach it to my 100-400 with good results.

You can see a larger, better version here: A Highland Bog Through Pixie's Eyes
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:40:02 am by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
Close-up Filters
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:24:06 pm »

See this discussion/evaluation of various close-up filters (lenses):

http://nikongear.com/smf/index.php?topic=24965.0

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Close-up Filters
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 10:31:23 pm »

Extension tubes don't work quite the same on a zoom lens as they do on a prime.  I usually end up using the focal length to focus the lens and the focus ring to set the magnification.  In some ways they are more useful if you have a set than is a closeup lens.  I use the canon 250D 77mm (it is heavy) with an 80- 250.  Image quality is good but the magnification and working distance limits its usefulness.  Generally you have a fairly narrow range of useable focus.  The extension tubes are a bit more versatile.

The 250 D is a high quality lens so the image quality for both is comparable.  It just depends on what is most useful for you,  I think I prefer the extension tubes.  One other advantage of an extension tube is that it doesn't affect the focal length like a closeup lens.  If you have a thin enough one, you can focus really close with a wide angle and get really interesting effects.  It a 15mm extension tube on my 18-70 I can focus on the front element.  

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
Close-up Filters
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »

Thanks for all the interesting info.  Everything's a compromise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up