Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Post inspiring stuff here..  (Read 13078 times)

TMARK

Post inspiring stuff here..
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 06:36:27 pm »

The Nadar link I have is dead!  It was pretty amazing, including the Paris Catacombs.  I can look at Nadar's portraits all day long.  The Pierrot the Clown portrait is amazing, as well as the young and then the the later, older Boudlaire.

T

Quote from: tesfoto
Indeed a great book, a new edition is out:  http://www.steidlville.com/books/168-Studio.html

Another favorite: http://www.steidlville.com/books/500-The-Roma-Journeys.html

Please post the Nadar link if you find it.

Cheers

T

pschefz

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 07:21:40 pm »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:22:15 pm by pschefz »
schefz.com
artloch.com

tho_mas

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »

I love Alice O'Malley's portraits… in particular the one of Antony Hegarty on the first page of this "Qvest"-PDF: http://www.aliceomalley.com/Quest.07_08.pdf
The image is cropped in the PDF, the actual cadration can be seen here: http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images_42...ice-omalley.jpg

http://www.aliceomalley.com

(also... if you happen to like Antony Hegarty here's an excellent essay about him... "voice of hope": http://trikster.net/1/steinskog/1.html )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:03:33 pm by tho_mas »

amsp

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 07:33:02 am »

One of my favorite mags.. S Magazine

Stunning design work.. DesignUnit

TMARK

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 10:23:12 am »

Quote from: amsp
One of my favorite mags.. S Magazine

Stunning design work.. DesignUnit

S Magazine, where have you been all my life?  Thanks for the links!

lisa_r

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 11:04:03 am »

Quote from: TMARK

tmark, S magazine is available in nyc at those international magazine shops - I know you can get it at the one across from Bryant Park on 40th Street.

amsp

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 04:39:56 pm »

Quote from: TMARK

Glad you liked it Mark, kinda knew you would though

I'm sometimes inspired by young talented musicians unspoiled by big money labels, here's one --> Lauren O'Connell

Link to album on iTunes

/cheers

Theresa

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 05:50:02 pm »

In the last day I have been inspired by a piece of music and a movie.  Kevin Cahoon's "Doll" which was played during the credits of a movie I saw on Netflix "Ready? OK!" about a ten year old child who is queer and persecuted because of it.  It is now one of my favorite movies.  I even went so far as downloading the mp3 album that Doll is in.

lisa_r

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 04:39:16 pm »

lisa

Thanks for the links to those two guys: Recuenco I had already found, but am in two minds about the work because there is no way of telling how much is his and how much comes from an art director or whatever. There was a time when you could tell a lot from a fashion picture - it was usually the product of two minds - the snapper and the model; now, who can even dare hazard a guess?

Anyway, regardless of source, I find some of the pics quite unnerving - and I'm not quite sure if I do or do not like what I see in them. One thing is for sure: you can't really look and not be moved, one way or the other! Maybe that signifies success.

Rob C

lisa_r

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 06:45:00 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
lisa

Thanks for the links to those two guys: Recuenco I had already found, but am in two minds about the work because there is no way of telling how much is his and how much comes from an art director or whatever. There was a time when you could tell a lot from a fashion picture - it was usually the product of two minds - the snapper and the model; now, who can even dare hazard a guess?

Anyway, regardless of source, I find some of the pics quite unnerving - and I'm not quite sure if I do or do not like what I see in them. One thing is for sure: you can't really look and not be moved, one way or the other! Maybe that signifies success.

Rob C

As for Recuenco, I love the artistry and the story telling. As to which cameras were used and other technical aspects, I guess I am not really concerned about these things in his images. They remind me of stills from some of the best foreign films I have seen.

gwhitf

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
....I love the artistry and the story telling. As to which cameras were used and other technical aspects, I guess I am not really concerned about these things in his images. They remind me of stills from some of the best foreign films I have seen.

There ya' go. That sums it all up, right there in three sentences, doesn't it? When the content is strong enough or compelling enough, the last thing in the world you think about is what camera it was shot with. Didn't Guy Bourdin shoot everything on an old Nikkormat...? Imagination trumps technical, always.

lisa_r

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 08:31:15 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
There ya' go. That sums it all up, right there in three sentences, doesn't it? When the content is strong enough or compelling enough, the last thing in the world you think about is what camera it was shot with. Didn't Guy Bourdin shoot everything on an old Nikkormat...? Imagination trumps technical, always.

Indeed.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »

Eric Whitacre: A choir as big as the Internet - 185 people singing 'together' via YouTube.
TEDxVolcano - (today) organized in London in some 48 hr.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

LKaven

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 10:34:42 pm »

I think Recuenco is the art director.  All of his photos are similar to his stage sets and lighting designs.  I think this is his forte.  Obviously though, he had to have the help of an awful lot of talented set builders and techs.  I only wish I had those resources.  

Besides the art direction, I have to say I love the photographic "look."  I know the lighting is all there before the shutter trips, but it seems he is using something that delivers a very fine look.   Anyone have an idea?  I was guessing film, and large format at that.  But I could be surprised.  Maybe he's using an MF digital camera.

gwhitf

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 11:05:30 pm »

Not really inspiring; not really funny; not even especially insightful, but still sort of interesting.

http://robertbenson.com/blog/2010/04/18/ph...-life-in-graph/

lisa_r

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:19 pm »

Quote from: LKaven
Anyone have an idea?  I was guessing film, and large format at that.  But I could be surprised.  Maybe he's using an MF digital camera.

I think there is some behind the scenes footage on that site which shows him shooting with a Canon and 24-70 L lens.

LKaven

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:52 am »

Quote from: lisa_r
I think there is some behind the scenes footage on that site which shows him shooting with a Canon and 24-70 L lens.
His control over the tonal range is painfully good.  I guess it's easier if you have total control over the lighting using an entire grid.  No reason the Canon couldn't do it, I'm just very impressed.

wollom

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 10:01:31 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
When the content is strong enough or compelling enough, the last thing in the world you think about is what camera it was shot with....

But really, it's not , "the idea transcends". As skilled people in our craft, the camera, processing, lighting, organisation, planning, experience are the tools we use.  Just because Hasselblad have a kid operating a camera doesn't mean a kid can deliver a commercial result.  Just because we've spend $40k on gear does not mean we have ideas.  

Wollom

lisa_r

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:55 am »

Wollom, while the wording is tricky, I believe you are agreeing with gwhitf's statement here. And mine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up