Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street  (Read 47260 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Street
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2010, 06:37:57 pm »

Rob, Sounds like a pretty active animal community. The ants, especially, sound like a problem. Our animal problems are with bears and cougars.

About two weeks ago my wife was gardening in some pots on a deck that extends from the house to a pond -- used to be a koy pond but it now harbors plain old goldfish instead of koy. She says she felt a presence behind her, turned, and saw a large brown bear letting himself down the little artificial waterfall that feeds the pond. She came inside and called me. We both watched the bear lower himself into the little pond and take a nice bath, then lumber back up the hill. Here's a picture of the bear. I shot this one last year as he was crossing the driveway below us. He lives somewhere in the neighborhood.

[attachment=23565:Bear.jpg]

Then, last year, early in the morning my wife was walking on a path in Garden of the Gods. Again, she says, she felt a presence. She looked up and was looking right at a full-grown cougar standing about twenty yards away, eyeing her. She raised her hands to make herself look bigger and gradually eased out of the area as the cat moved on into the brush. She says she thinks the main reason the cat didn't come after her is that he'd just eaten and his muzzle was covered with blood.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

Street
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2010, 04:42:03 am »

Quote from: RSL
Rob, Sounds like a pretty active animal community. The ants, especially, sound like a problem. Our animal problems are with bears and cougars.

About two weeks ago my wife was gardening in some pots on a deck that extends from the house to a pond -- used to be a koy pond but it now harbors plain old goldfish instead of koy. She says she felt a presence behind her, turned, and saw a large brown bear letting himself down the little artificial waterfall that feeds the pond. She came inside and called me. We both watched the bear lower himself into the little pond and take a nice bath, then lumber back up the hill. Here's a picture of the bear. I shot this one last year as he was crossing the driveway below us. He lives somewhere in the neighborhood.

[attachment=23565:Bear.jpg]

Then, last year, early in the morning my wife was walking on a path in Garden of the Gods. Again, she says, she felt a presence. She looked up and was looking right at a full-grown cougar standing about twenty yards away, eyeing her. She raised her hands to make herself look bigger and gradually eased out of the area as the cat moved on into the brush. She says she thinks the main reason the cat didn't come after her is that he'd just eaten and his muzzle was covered with blood.

Of close encouters of the dangerous kind, I think I'd settle for spiders and ants - I don't think either is venomous, just a pest! Fortunately, we have almost no snakes.

I thought folk lore has it that none of the large animals is inclined to attack humans unless either is injured - or is that urban myth?

Rob C

Rob C

Street
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2010, 06:26:58 am »

Russ

Can't claim any four-legged exotica, but this is a couple of shots on the manual 2.8/24mm that I have just done in order to illustrate what I was writing about the hedge in front of us: the space beyond used to be rolling wheat/corn (what's the difference, anyway?) and is now garrigue with a few pines growing from seed blown off the hill on the left. In the other shot you can make out one of the high-tension pylons that might or might not be carcinogenic... when I think of these I think also of some hotels that carry huge communication masts on the roof, and of the office of the community's administrator which is across the road from yet another multi-dish monstrosity on the roof of an apartment block.

You might also spot the roofs of a couple of villas built on farming land - illegally -but resolved/'legalised' by payent of a small fine. Something is far wrong.

The hill on the far left, which overlooks the Bay of Pollensa, used to be virgin mountain and I would to take our alsabrador for walks up it every day. Unfortunately, it was granted planning permission maybe fifty years ago when laws were bought (some still are) and now that land has become so scarce and expensive, building has got underway and cement rules. Viewed from the sea, it looks like somebody dumped a few rows of rabbit hutches along it. A disgrace - una lastima!

But hell, I love most of the things about this wonderful country.

Rob C

RSL

Street
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:14 am »

It's a lovely vista, Rob. I can understand why you treasure it.

RSL

Street
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 10:46:40 am »

Quote from: Rob C
I thought folk lore has it that none of the large animals is inclined to attack humans unless either is injured - or is that urban myth?

Rob C

It's definitely urban myth. Last year a mountain biker was attacked and killed by a cougar. A couple years ago a fairly large family group was walking up one of our trails. One part of the party was walking faster than the other part. Eventually they became quite separated. There was a little kid with them who would run back and forth between the two groups. Eventually the kid disappeared. It took the authorities quit a while to find him -- or his remains. A cougar had gotten him too.

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Street
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2010, 01:48:09 pm »

Of close encouters of the dangerous kind, I think I'd settle for spiders and ants - I don't think either is venomous, just a pest! urban myth?

Rob C

Spiders are venomous Rob. Fortunately the ones that can kill ( they have heamotoxic poison which affects the blood) administer very small doses. It's the cytotoxic species that are a nuisance though as they are more common. Wounds from their bites take forever to heal. Appologies for an off topic comment.

Rob C

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:11 pm »

Spiders are venomous Rob. Fortunately the ones that can kill ( they have heamotoxic poison which affects the blood) administer very small doses. It's the cytotoxic species that are a nuisance though as they are more common. Wounds from their bites take forever to heal. Appologies for an off topic comment.

No, my fault: I was referring to the ones I met on my windows when they used to climb up them when they wanted to invade from the garden, but that's in Mallorca. I think even the snakes are not dangerous, unlike on the mainland where there are versions of the adder/asp or whatever the damn things get called! However, I am unlikely to do a Cleopatra and clutch any of them to my bosom.

;-)

Rob C

;-') Is this how Cindy Crawford or Marilyn would write it?

(Rob C now in invisible writing mode.)

Rob C

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2010, 04:45:35 pm »

Now, if this was the way it is, I'd settle for shootin' street right away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPjfMSn4f6c

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2010, 04:22:50 am »

About 16.00hrs yesterday I was shooting sunsets at the Clydeside, Glasgow, when another photographer stood next to me looking nervously around. I looked around and saw that two "animals" were staggering towards us. One stopped about 15ft away and the other behind us. This was on a narrow pedestrian bridge. Both swaying and they looked as if they were about to attack. After about 30 seconds the other joined his mate behind us. By this time my camera was in the bag and the tripod was ready for use as a weapon. "What are youse doing pals" was the question asked by one. " Taking photies" was the reply. They decided to stagger off. One had scabs on his face. Both in their early twenties and drugged to their eyeballs. The other photographer then confessed he only stood beside me because he thought there was safety in numbers. Thanks a lot mate. Here was me thinking I attracted attention because I looked as if I knew what I was doing? A close call. This on a Sunday afternoon/evening. :(

michswiss

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2010, 05:56:10 am »

Now, if this was the way it is, I'd settle for shootin' street right away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPjfMSn4f6c

Rob C

Those damned guys at Sony Music Entertainment have decided that Australia doesn't deserve to watch this particular video.  Of course in a day or two, I'll be back in China where the government has decided Youtube is a waste of bandwidth.  Oh well.

michswiss

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2010, 06:08:58 am »

Stamper,

I've been in somewhat similar situations as yours with tripod and full kit and you're definitely out there.  Not comfortable if the locals aren't happy about you being there.  But, the situation you described isn't one that a street photog would get into without intention.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 12:12:53 pm »

Those damned guys at Sony Music Entertainment have decided that Australia doesn't deserve to watch this particular video.  Of course in a day or two, I'll be back in China where the government has decided Youtube is a waste of bandwidth.  Oh well.

South Africa doesn't deserve the privelege too it seems, seeing that I can't watch it either. Oh well..   

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »

South Africa doesn't deserve the privelege too it seems, seeing that I can't watch it either. Oh well..   
The U.S. of A. seems to be included in the list of backwater nations that aren't privileged to see it either, alas!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »

The U.S. of A. seems to be included in the list of backwater nations that aren't privileged to see it either, alas!

WOW..never thought that would be even remotely possible..

Rob C

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »

Wow!

That's the best MJ video of them all, for me, as none of the others touches it for a sort of romantic thing that's part bragging/part innocent. And lovely moves.

I had that number on a tape that I kept in the car; funny how car tape players last five minutes but domestic ones do quite well. Having said that, last night saw the computer music one chew up an irreplaceable tape from 29 Nov. 01. I should have stayed with klrzfm.com! But then, I suppose something else would have gone next time I used the machine...

Rob C
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up