Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?  (Read 16198 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 05:55:09 am »

I'm pleased with my z3200... so far nothing but praise for it. The comments from others about loading cut sheets and roll paper from the back are true, but haven't been much of a bother really. It's on wheels so I just turn it out when I change the roll. No big deal.  The printer is slower than the others perhaps, but it works every time.    Epson?  Never going back. I had three wide format epsons.... My epson memories are nothing but ink waste, clogs, and paper feed and waste problems.  I simply could not count on the epsons to get a print out when I needed it.
Rolleiflex USA

Dan Wells

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:50 am »

I'll second Andy's recommendation for Canon, Shades of Paper and Jason... The Canon printers are not talked about nearly enough, but they're great machines - much lower maintenance than the Epsons, and very nice image quality. Of course, I haven't seen a print sample from the 6300/8300 line yet, but the 6100 has a gamut somewhat larger in most areas than an Epson 7880, approaching the 7900 in some selected (cool) tones. If the 6300/8300 line is really 20% larger gamut, they'll exceed the 7900's gamut just about everywhere. Canon's ink usage is lower than Epson's (less cleaning), which goes a long way towards dealing with the more expensive inks on the 24-inch models - I suspect they are actually about the same price per print, if not cheaper than Epson. The 44 inch models use the 330 and 700 ml ink tanks, which gets the price per ml down, as well as probably never running out of ink (with Canon's ink economy plus those big cartridges, I would imagine that the number of prints per cartridge is staggeringly high)! My 6100 gets about six rolls of 24-inchx39 foot paper from the cartridge that runs out the most often (one of the grays - all the neutrals drain quickly), and well over twice that from the slower draining cartridges (12 rolls after installation, there are still a couple of starter cartridges in the machine, and only a couple of neutrals have gone through a starter plus the first full cartridge and been replaced twice. With 330 ml cartridges in the 44 inch machine, nearly triple that, so the fast-draining cartridges will go through one cartridge for 15-16 rolls of 24-inch paper (8-10 rolls of 44 inch), and the slow cartridges will last forever...

-Dan

deanwork

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 09:48:32 am »

I also highly recommend Shades Of Paper. com to buy a printer and supplies from. They know more than anyone I've come across. I bought my Z from them and they were super supportive of the whole process. I've seen them grow from a small well run mom and pop operation to a major player in this inkjet support world. They always listened to their customers and sought out their needs.  I also like the fact that they sell just about every great form of media there and can tell you about what's happening as new ones come along.

It looks like Canon is poised to completely take over the pre press industry. A fast solid printer with a stellar gamut that doesn't clog and waste ink. Not bad at all. Canon also has big bucks to put into r and d. I wish I had one of those big ones.

Quote from: Dan Wells
I'll second Andy's recommendation for Canon, Shades of Paper and Jason... The Canon printers are not talked about nearly enough, but they're great machines - much lower maintenance than the Epsons, and very nice image quality. Of course, I haven't seen a print sample from the 6300/8300 line yet, but the 6100 has a gamut somewhat larger in most areas than an Epson 7880, approaching the 7900 in some selected (cool) tones. If the 6300/8300 line is really 20% larger gamut, they'll exceed the 7900's gamut just about everywhere. Canon's ink usage is lower than Epson's (less cleaning), which goes a long way towards dealing with the more expensive inks on the 24-inch models - I suspect they are actually about the same price per print, if not cheaper than Epson. The 44 inch models use the 330 and 700 ml ink tanks, which gets the price per ml down, as well as probably never running out of ink (with Canon's ink economy plus those big cartridges, I would imagine that the number of prints per cartridge is staggeringly high)! My 6100 gets about six rolls of 24-inchx39 foot paper from the cartridge that runs out the most often (one of the grays - all the neutrals drain quickly), and well over twice that from the slower draining cartridges (12 rolls after installation, there are still a couple of starter cartridges in the machine, and only a couple of neutrals have gone through a starter plus the first full cartridge and been replaced twice. With 330 ml cartridges in the 44 inch machine, nearly triple that, so the fast-draining cartridges will go through one cartridge for 15-16 rolls of 24-inch paper (8-10 rolls of 44 inch), and the slow cartridges will last forever...

-Dan

Roscolo

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 02:28:55 pm »

Quote from: Curtis Miller
I'm attracted to the built in photospectrometer in the HP and its ability to do self-calibration, but I'm not entirely clear whether the photospectrometer is included in the basic model or only in the version with the rip.

The reviews I've read seem to suggest that the HP is a very low-maintenance printer in the sense of not having problems with ink clogs and paper handling, and the driver seems to do some nice things as far as monitoring paper and ink usage.

The photospectro is included on the base model z3200. I have owned a z3100 for 3 years now. Nary a problem. Built in spectro and EASE OF USE has been a huge asset for my own printing and for customers. Just load the paper and profile in a couple of mouse clicks. I mostly print on rolls, but sheet loading is not a problem if you have the correct settings (Disable skew check and sheets load with ease). Profiles in the base model have been spot on for my images (color and B&W photographs) and especially for fine art customers I print for (photographers and painters). 3 years...NO CLOGS. Not one. Insanely economical efficient use of ink compared to my previous epson experience. Image quality is going to be fantastic from HP, epson or canon. The difference maker for me was the unmatched true black-and-white quality from the z, the elimination of gloss differential with the z, the very easy profiling with the z, the ability to easily and cheaply replace the printheads, and of course knowing that I can print a 40x50 without it being ruined halfway through by clogging.

Good luck and happy printing!

Curtis Miller

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »

Well, everyone, thank you for all the helpful input. In the end, it came down to a very attractive price and ink included with the purchase. I chose the Canon. I got good reports on image quality, and the money is just too much for me to consider anything else. It will end up costing me close to $2,000 less than an Epson after you consider the purchase of ink. That makes a pretty strong argument for a solo photographer who's looking to get into large format printing without breaking the bank.

Thanks again,  Curtis Miller

hsmeets

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »

Many happy clogless and issueless sq.ft wishes for you.

Which one did you get, the 8100 or the new 8300?

Now have to wipe clean my desk of drool as I only have a 17" 5100... ;-)
Cheers,

Huib

iCanvas

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »

I just bought a 9900 from my Epson rep. here in Pittsburgh, PA. He has been letting print my larger canvas prints on their 9900 for the last year and have been very pleased with the results. Last year about this time I bought a 4880 at the full price and it paid for itself within two months. My Epson rep. is selling the 9900 for $5400 and after the $900 rebate that will bring the price down to $4500. I have been printing on canvas for 8 years and have looked at the offerings from Canon and HP, but decided to stick with Epson. I have never lost a canvas due to clogging on any of my Epson printers, not that it doesn't happen, but it hasn't happened to me. I have had a 2200, 9600, 9800, 4880 and now the 9900. I think that any of these offerings from Epson, Canon or HP will give great results.

Let us know how the Canon performs. Which one are you getting?

Gar

Curtis Miller

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:36 am »

I ordered the 8300. Maybe I shouldn't even say this. I won't say where I got it, but I paid $4,300. Less the $900 rebate and that's $3,400. And it comes with full 330ml ink tanks.

Add the $1,500 worth of ink for the Epson and you're talking $5,900. Pretty hard to argue it's worth that much more. I'm not trying to argue, by the way. Everyone should buy whatever they're comfortable with. Just reporting on my choice.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

Curtis, that is an awesome price. You will love the printer, by the way. The new menu interface on the front of the printer, as well as having custom papers show up on the display and the printer driver is also very very nice. It's built like a tank!
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

williamrohr

Epson 9900 v HP z 3200?
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 05:12:57 pm »

Just to add additional information which mirrors much above.  I currently use a Epson 9900, 7900, 7800 and 4880, ... as well as a HP Z3100.  The 9900 and 7900 are a major improvement and the prior problems with the clogging have pretty much been eliminated.  One simple cleaning cycle clears the rare clog when it occurs.  I live in a very rural area and the one time I needed service on the 7800 Epson service was superb.  The Z3100 was trouble free until until I started receiving notice that the ink heads were out of warrantee so I decided to put in all new ones ..... disaster.  One of the brand new HP heads had "misaligned" nozzles that the printer couldn't even program around and suddenly clogs are now an issue on some of the heads where I never had a problem with the original heads!!!  The printer I truly miss is my Canon iPF5000.  I bought it when it first came out ... used the dickens out of it, would turn it off for periods of time and it always was perfect when restarted ... sold it to a friend with whom the story continues unchanged.  It still has the original head and the next time a cleaning cycle is run on it .... will be the first.  Bill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up