Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPZ HP Utility:Job Center: "Stored Jobs" Question  (Read 3704 times)

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
HPZ HP Utility:Job Center: "Stored Jobs" Question
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:08:59 pm »

Hi all,
I've been enjoying getting accustomed to the latest HP Utility (wasn't it called HP Printer Utility previously? - I have all the latest drivers and firmware installed for my Z3100ps, and am using the PS driver). Anyway, I noticed that there is a RIP like feature called "Stored Jobs" in the new and improved HP Utility. If I click on the icon, I get the chance to "Look Up" the stored jobs, but there are no stored jobs in the list. The setting is for 1000 stored jobs elsewhere in the settings. So what gives? Do the jobs get pushed into this list at some future time? Or at some future level of jobs.

Personally, I always wanted RIP like functionality like the ability to archive RIPPED jobs and then be able to upload them for reprinting, providing a backup against loss and a speedier way to reprint jobs.

I know all of you windows users are saying get the RIP (Qimage) that everyone loves that is only windows, or else run windows in boot camp yadda  yadda. But I say why doesn't HP get this stuff working more professionally. This printer has only been out for three years. It seems like they have the hooks in place. Is this working on the Z3200, but not on the Z3100 series?

Curious to know what users are doing. Thinking.

So long for now, TOM

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:40:55 am »

Quote from: dandeliondigital
Hi all,
I've been enjoying getting accustomed to the latest HP Utility (wasn't it called HP Printer Utility previously? - I have all the latest drivers and firmware installed for my Z3100ps, and am using the PS driver). Anyway, I noticed that there is a RIP like feature called "Stored Jobs" in the new and improved HP Utility. If I click on the icon, I get the chance to "Look Up" the stored jobs, but there are no stored jobs in the list. The setting is for 1000 stored jobs elsewhere in the settings. So what gives? Do the jobs get pushed into this list at some future time? Or at some future level of jobs.

Personally, I always wanted RIP like functionality like the ability to archive RIPPED jobs and then be able to upload them for reprinting, providing a backup against loss and a speedier way to reprint jobs.

I know all of you windows users are saying get the RIP (Qimage) that everyone loves that is only windows, or else run windows in boot camp yadda  yadda. But I say why doesn't HP get this stuff working more professionally. This printer has only been out for three years. It seems like they have the hooks in place. Is this working on the Z3200, but not on the Z3100 series?

Curious to know what users are doing. Thinking.

So long for now, TOM

Tom,

There is a Z3200PS and a plain Z3100 here. I use them both with the PCL3 driver + Qimage so know about the log but never use it to repeat a printrun. I check it from time to time when Qimage doesn't tell me all about run jobs. Maybe the repeat function of the PS model is bound to the PS3 driver. Just a guess.

On Windows there is short term repeat possible from the spooler if you let Windows keep the print data after printing. I use that for repeating a print job one the same day when the printer and/or the computer system hasn't been switched off in between. It is not reliable when that condition isn't kept, a scaling problem can show then. This is however the fastest method for repeating jobs as no rasterisation is needed again. I guess the Mac should have that too.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:56:05 am »

Hi Ernst,
My printed jobs appear in the list called the Que (is this your spooler) and they stay there, and I can make reprints from there which I have done in the past. BUT (there’s always a but), in the past I have lost the Que list of jobs more than once when I had to reset the printer for FW updates or other fixes for various hiccup type problems, and that was quite inconvenient. I have been waiting for something more useful to appear in the HP software (for 3 years), but so far nothing except an icon to nowhere.

I would like to be able to control the files in the que, and maybe move them to the “stored jobs.” or better yet, offload them, save them, reload them, reprint them, archive them. They are only files. What could possibly be so hard about this type of functionality? Why all the hocus pocus?

Sigh. HP sure made a lot of promises with the Z series that remain unfulfilled, or else they have evolved into a very controlled version that just doesn’t cut it IMO. Is Epson any better in this regard? I doubt it, but do not have enough time in my life to sit here opening smelly “clams-looking for pearls”.

I am so frustrated having lost features over the years (on the Mac Platform) because Apple & it’s ilk appears to be evolving away from digital graphics leadership? At the expense of the still printed image. Hello Adobe PS for the iPod? Not for me! Apple Mac platform used to lead in graphics, but we seem to be getting less than parity these past 10 years in the digital graphics we took all the initial arrows for being the lead technology.

Sigh. I’m tired, and discouraged, but not yet ready to switch to winders which is what most will do.

I guess I need to try the PCL3 driver and see if the behaviors change, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the details, and btw, there seem to be very few users of the large format printers with the desire to share in the knowledge. You (and a few others here on LL) are a welcomed exception to what seems to be a rule.

I remember HP set up a forum for the Z series, and it became totally abandoned by them almost immediately. Mostly their fault for not letting out any info that answered any questions. Is it like today? Yes. I contacted HP support, waited over a week, and got a one word answer to a question I had forgotten that I had asked. I had to look it up, and then the answer wasn’t any help anyway. I want to see a company adapt a motto “Your information is job one - come and get it.”

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
I guess the Mac should have that too.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:24:10 am »

George wrote it down already,

I checked this for the first time.

The Z3200-Z3100PS version has the features of the printrun repeat etc.
If you go to Job Center and click on stored jobs you will see an empty space. Go to the right to the help icon and it is explained.
With Submit Job in Job Center you also get a choice to store that job on the printer. After that you will see that job appear in Stored Jobs.

The spooler I referred to is the Windows print spooler where all print jobs go along but usually the data there isn't stored. By changing that to keep print data or something alike you can repeat jobs from there. I did that with the Epsons 4 years ago and still use that for teh HPs. It is faster than repeating the job from Qimage because the rasterisation step in Qimage/HPdriver is already done. However I guess that storing the job on the printer with HP Utility is faster as the same data is then already on the printer. I will give it a try. Should work with the PS3 and the PCL3 driver.

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up