Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Murray Fredericks: Salt  (Read 1295 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Murray Fredericks: Salt
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:07:53 pm »

LuLa regular Murray Fredericks documentary Salt is on Channel 2 Australia 10:05pm Tuesday, 23 Mar 2010 (EST)

Here is what channel 2 has to say (copied in fear of link rot because of the repeats on the two other dates):

Salt is the story of award-winning and internationally renowned photo-artist, Murray Fredericks, on his annual solo pilgrimage to the heart of Lake Eyre in the remote north corner of South Australia. It tells of the personal journey of the artist, the creative process and the landscape itself.

Alone on the most featureless landscape on earth, Fredericks’s personal video diary captures the beauty of this bleak, empty and desolate environment – and provides the catalyst for an unexpected personal transformation.

Totally isolated, with only the horizon line as his reference point, and thoughts as his only companion, Fredericks is forced to overcome the environmental elements of rain, mud plains, lightning, equipment failure and the ever intrusive salt. The resulting photographs are not just sublime pictures of a remote and surreal location – they punctuate a journey of the mind and spirit.

Salt has won seven major international awards, including the International Documentary Association’s 2009 Distinguished Documentary Short of the Year and the Grand Prix Award for Cinematography in Short Documentary at the prestigious 2009 Plus Camerimage Festival in Poland. In Australia it won The Erwin Rado Award for Best Australian Short Film at the 2009 Melbourne International Film Festival and nominated later in the year for two AFI awards.

Artscape: Salt will be repeated on ABC2 - Sunday, March 28 at 6:30pm
Also showing on ABC2
 - 6:30pm Sunday, March 28

Artscape: Salt will be repeated on ABC2 - Sunday, March 28 at 6:30pm
Also showing on ABC2 - 6:30pm Sunday, March 28

Cheers,
Tom Brown

bernardd

Murray Fredericks: Salt
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:23:15 am »

I watched the documentary tonight. The images looked simply stunning even on a reduced media (tv at 1080i). Most of them were shot on a large format, 8x10 I believe. I live in Melbourne so I will certainly make a stop at one if his galleries to see the full size prints first hand.
Pages: [1]   Go Up