Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Or Nikon  (Read 5185 times)

Dan Wells

Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 06:49:57 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice people have been giving to pick what you personally like using-possibly with some bias towards either Canon or Nikon due to their fuller systems than Pentax, Minolta, Olympus. There are a couple of additional considerations, based on the particular type of photography you do.
       If you think you may want a REALLY high resolution, cost no object camera in the future, Canon has been better about introducing those than Nikon-they cost $8000, but Nikon hasn't been competing with them. On the other hand, Nikon has the D70, which is the best $1000 body out there right now (I wouldn't consider any Canon Rebel, because the controls are too hard to use-if you go Canon, get at least a 20D or even a used 10D). Nikon also has a VERY interesting $2000 body (if you can still get one). The D2h doesn't get a lot of mention around here, because it's "only" 4.1 mp. Don't let that fool you-I own one, plus a D70, and the D2h gives better prints.
     What's special about the D2h is that it is an ultra-rugged professional camera with fully professional metering and focus for $2000. Every other digital SLR under $4000 has the heritage of a $300 film camera in it-the D2h has the heritage of a $2000 film camera. If you want or need the build quality, the incredible AF or the very high (8 fps) frame rate, and you don't have $4000 for a Canon 1D mk II, the D2h is your only choice. If these features don't matter to you, it is heavier than you need, not to mention more expensive.  As for the 4.1 mp, I print 12x18 inches from mine all the time, and am very satisfied with the quality. I have printed 16x24, and I'm still satisfied (although I know that is close to the limit).
      Either Canon or Nikon are great choices, and each has a special camera or two that the other one can't compete with. I don't know Canon well, but there are plenty of people here who do.

-dan

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 03:15:59 pm »

Best answer I've heard to a many times asked question.

James Hill

Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 01:02:57 am »

If you don't have anything invested in either system yet, consider Four Thirds. Olympus is the only big player at the moment, but some big names, including Panasonic, Kodak, and Fuji are participating (to varying degrees) in this new, open standard. You will hear the standard FUD from some people about how this system isn't going to make it, how it doesn't have options for certain purposes. Maybe, but I'm happy. Dumping Canon for an E-1 was, for me, a very good decision.

You're FUD detector should go off when you start reading posts about "viability," "upgrade path," "high ISO noise," etc. They'll talk about anything except what matters to me, which is "Do I like using the camera?" and "Do I like the pictures I get?"

BJL

Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 01:09:01 pm »

I was in a similar situation to you a long time ago, when I set out to replace my Instamatic by an SLR. I concluded that the quality and options available from any of the major makers, Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus or Pentax, went well beyond where I was likely to go. So I chose what worked best for me in my initially modest price range, and ended up with a Pentax K-1000.

With a DSLR today, I would equally consider all five of those brands, judging which bodies and lenses in my price range (including some room for upgrading in future) work best for me. Restricting yourself to the one or two brands with the most high level professional options is like buying a car only from a maker that competes successfully in Formula One.

williamrohr

Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 01:23:15 am »

The profusion of high quality, dependable cameras certainly presents a dilemma as what brand to buy.  If you are going to buy one body and a couple of mid-range lenses and keep them for 10 years you almost can't go wrong with any system.  If however, you have any tendency to be a "gear-head" (personally I have suffered from the disease for many years ... and its associated syndrome bankacct depletis) you might want to consider either Canon or Nikon most seriously.  Both are likely to survive the significant ongoing industry shake-up (that's actually been going on for years ... Kodak film cameras, Bronica, Mamya 35mm, Olympus OM series, etc ... RIP) and offer a tremendous variety of price points. The only limitation to either of these systems is the depth of your pocket. Between Canon & Nikon ... pick the one that's feels most comfortable ( I own both and the differences are great food for these forums but make very little difference in the ability to take good pictures) ... one man's opinion.    

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2005, 08:49:25 am »

The answer, IMHO, can be summed up as so...

You've waited for some time, so wait another month or so for the PMA fallout to appear. First, decide how much you want to spend on a body. Go to a good, quiet camera store and get the model from Nikon and Canon that meet your budget. Hang a decent comparible lens on each. Hold these babies in your hands. The one that talks to you, stirs your soul, is your new partner.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

alkhalifa

Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 05:03:05 pm »

It seems I might have been the only one who has heard of the information about the Canon lens passing information to the camera from the lens because of the connectors in the lens. I have had a liking to Nikon cameras they seem to have a certain solid feel to them. I really didn't like how the Canon 300D compared to the build of the Nikon. The only thing that made me stop before purchasing the D70 was the Canon 20D.

BTW, did you guys see this?

tech.sina.com.cn/digi/2005-01-03/1516493165.shtml

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 12:41:30 pm »

I'd definitely wait for PMA.  I think you are worrying too much about things like who has the most recent lens mount etc that are almost irrelevant.  Nikon and Canon both make great lenses.  Sigma and Tamron both make independent alternative lenses for Nikon and Canon.  You can't go far wrong with either system.  Chose what feels right to you.

Check out Olympus and the 4/3 system.  The E1 is a great handling camera, and an upgrade is expected soon.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

alkhalifa

Canon Or Nikon
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2005, 02:03:54 pm »

Thanks Dan...I was really shocked that Nikon didn't have anything up their sleeve for the PMA. I was expecting atleast a D200. I have had so much support from this forum. This is one of the rare times in forums that I get very professional and helpful advice. I was amazed with the unified response I was getting from everyone. It seems I have a liking towards the Nikon D70 but to tell you the truth your message really put a spin on the choice I was going to make. Especially this line:

"Every other digital SLR under $4000 has the heritage of a $300 film camera in it-the D2h has the heritage of a $2000 film camera."

A while back I was discussing the Nikon/Canon with a colleuge at work and I pointed out that I liked the D70 more that the E300 (Rebel) and gave him reasons that made me reach my judgement. Today to my surprise he had a D70 when I asked him what made you chose a D70 he said "YOU?" I seem to have passed my prefrences and helped a person with his decision yet I have not answered it for myself. I guess my only issue is that I want a camera that will do it all. Although day after day being a tech obsessed individual, I realized that there is no such thing as a do it all device. I have changed my mind about so many things its costly. I guess its finding what has more of what you want. A friend of mine once said if you buy a camera you should be able to cover its cost within 6 months of purchasing it or else its not worth it. Unfortunatly, my work is mine only and I do it for the fun of it. So my response to covering its cost would be any camera I buy will set me back on what I will pay for add-ons and accessories.

BTW has anyone heard that the newer DSLR's will have the option that P&S and prosumer cameras have. Where you could actualy see what your shooting on the LCD?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up