Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Shutter Joy ....  (Read 1824 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Central Shutter Joy ....
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:14:42 pm »

For the enjoyment of the knowing ...
I spent 5 hours with a 65 year old extremely experienced camera mechanic disassembling that thing.
We took hundreds of photographs.
Someone I bought this lens from must have soaked it in gasoline and now the blades were terribly glued together.
Now wish me luck and pray for me ....

[attachment=20976:IMG_1638...ownsized.jpg][attachment=20978:IMG_1642...ownsized.
jpg]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:18:22 pm by ChristophC »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Central Shutter Joy ....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:52:57 pm »

Fnigres crosesd but ist hrd to tpye  
If your mind is attuned t

fredjeang

Central Shutter Joy ....
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »

Good luck!  

Fred.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

Central Shutter Joy ....
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 05:58:08 am »

After having disassembled that thing into about 40+ parts, washed everything in naphta/graphite,
reassembled and on rare spots applied some grease it seems to work great now.
The most challenging part were many little springs, gears and metal parts that needed to be put
together completely correctly to make all times and the B mode work.
A big help was the thorough photographic documentation of the disassembling with about 350+ images.
This was maybe the most important thing I learned - the value of extensive photo documentation.

I can not strongly enough discourage anyone from trying to fix a central shutter
by soaking it it in naphta or any other solvent.
Its a sure way to make it dysfunctional.
After this experience (I didn't soak it) I can say disassembling and precise washing and reassembling is the way to go here.

Without supervision by someone experienced I'd say its near impossible to have success for a first time attempt.

For anyone interested:
The photo documentation of the disassembling on the public photo album of the mechanic can be found here:
http://fotoalbum.web.de/album/CameraLensBi...ekor3-5-90-6312
(The link is dysfunctional at times, since web.de seems to have issues in the moment)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

Central Shutter Joy ....
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:41:56 am »

UPDATE:
After Successfully fixing my 90 mm lenses shutter, I felt more self conscious doing repair and dared
to do a little fix on my Mamiya Sekor 100 mm lens:
A little plastic knob for adjusting the aperture and transmitting it to a ring with the aperture scale
was broken and needed replacement. So I ordered one from Mamiya Germany.

I put out the shutter unit from the lens and replaced the knob. I did some testing and had to find out the shutter
was working very unreliable, but not in a way caused by mislead grease or so. The blades looked clean anyways ...
So I decided to go deeper into the system and opened the shutter, doing a lot of photographs like I had learned
from my tutor.

To my surprise I found a lost screw inside the shutter, which must have been lost by someone doing a former repair inside the shutter and which was occasionally blocking the gears of the escapement mechanism.

/me shakes head in wonder and astonishment .....

I would never have dared to do this without that lesson beforehand. And I must say I now  really enjoy this changed kind of relationship with my photographic tools.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:44:29 am by ChristophC »
Pages: [1]   Go Up