Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much do you sacrifice to get the ultimate shot?  (Read 4619 times)

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
How much do you sacrifice to get the ultimate shot?
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:30:45 pm »

I came across this article about a fellow in Kenya literally sacrificing himself for the ultimate shot.  Thought I would share.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...ing-months.html

Joe Behar

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:03:28 pm »

Quote from: kbolin
I came across this article about a fellow in Kenya literally sacrificing himself for the ultimate shot.  Thought I would share.

Sorry, this guy definitely qualifies for the moron list....I'm sure he protected his camera gear, but he obviously did not use any protective clothing.

He might think this little escapade makes him dedicated, or even tough, but to me he's just plain stupid.

Yet another example of why its so important to keep the chlorine levels topped up in the gene pool.

tokengirl

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:59:01 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
Sorry, this guy definitely qualifies for the moron list....I'm sure he protected his camera gear, but he obviously did not use any protective clothing.

Yup.  A $300 pair of Simms waders and just a teeny bit of common sense would have saved him from all sorts of medical issues.

But the photos are spectacular...

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »

Yes, I saw this crazy article also. Seems to be very dedicated to get the shot but yes I would have protected myself better.

I would say I go to some very serious lengths, bleeding part of the game, poison sumac and oak sometimes can't help it, but you pay the penalty every year.  Last year got a hugh case of poison sumac and was bleeding badly but the image and trip must continue.  

Yes, I train every year to keep the pain of carrying 80 pounds of gear into the woods, but if that's what it takes then you do it. Some of you know what it takes because you have been out there with me but, it pays off when you see your images 50 or 60 inches on the gallery wall.

But for christ sake you need to protect yourself some what.  I'm going to Texas for 2 weeks to shoot spring bloom, so I wear snake boots, if you don't then the gene pool will raise some.  Take some precautions.  I wouldn't go out into the upper northwest without peperspray, so why climb into the water without a suit.

Those are nice images...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:09:39 pm by tim wolcott »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:31:23 pm »

Stunning Photographs - but I cant help but feel that a $50 pair of waders would have saved him a lot of health issues. Makes me wonder about how much of what he did was about grabbing attention for himself as much as the photographs - which really are amazing.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Greg Campbell

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »

I stand around outside near thunderstorms, so I can't get too sanctimonious.
Still, is seems you owe it to yourself to take whatever measures you can to minimize risk when photographing in a dangerous environment.  Mosquitoes and malaria are hard to avoid, but a simple dry suit would probably have prevented the water-borne nasties from eating at him.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:39 am »

Amazing shots but all I could think of was "Steve Irwin". He indicated that he'd tried digging trenches! Can't imagine I'd want to be in a trench that was stumbled on to by a pride of lions. Digging one's own grave, literally.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:04:17 am »

...SORRY DOUBLE POST....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:04:53 am by Philmar »

nigelrudyard

• http://www.flickr.com/mostonianexile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »

Quote from: kbolin

Great story, and great photography, but I too thought of Steve Irwin. In the final analysis, we can question his intelligence, but not his dedication!
"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment."
~ Ansel Adams

DwayneOakes

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:06:56 am »

In my opinion no shot is worth risking your life for. There will always be more great shots in the future.
You have a reasonability to come home safe to your family at the end of the day. You could do this same
shot by lowering a tripod to water level and placing it on the other side of the watering hole. Use a
wireless remote shutter release in the safety of a Landrover. I still think the better photo would have
been at night with a flash diffuser, all you would see is the eye shine of the lions also the eye shine
reflected in the water.  

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:11:25 am by DwayneOakes »

framah

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:21 pm »

I know what you mean!! I almost spilled my wine on my trip to Antarctica!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Ray

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:16:20 pm »

The guy survived and made a complete recovery, didn't he?

There are lots of foolhardy activities which people engage in, including mountain climbing, sky diving, motorbike stunts, and stunts in general (not to mention war).

One should use all possible precautions to minimise the risk of a fatality. Mr du Toit should have protected himself from the risk of invasion by flat worms and hook worms. Hopefully, he will learn from his mistake.

There were no adverse health effects after I took the shot below. The tiger is looking straight at me, but I'm not sure that he/she really likes me, but never mind! One can't expect to be liked by everyone.

[attachment=21237:In_pool_0249.jpg]

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 01:43:29 am »

Quote from: Ray
The guy survived and made a complete recovery, didn't he?

There are lots of foolhardy activities which people engage in, including mountain climbing, sky diving, motorbike stunts, and stunts in general (not to mention war).

One should use all possible precautions to minimise the risk of a fatality. Mr du Toit should have protected himself from the risk of invasion by flat worms and hook worms. Hopefully, he will learn from his mistake.

There were no adverse health effects after I took the shot below. The tiger is looking straight at me, but I'm not sure that he/she really likes me, but never mind! One can't expect to be liked by everyone.

[attachment=21237:In_pool_0249.jpg]

Nice shot!

I didnt get infected, bitten, torn limb from limb or even slightly bruised taking this shot either....  
(But I did use some pretty exotic glass) [attachment=21238:_74X3721_Edit2008.jpg]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:44:38 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ray

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 08:01:27 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
Nice shot!

I didnt get infected, bitten, torn limb from limb or even slightly bruised taking this shot either....  
(But I did use some pretty exotic glass) [attachment=21238:_74X3721_Edit2008.jpg]

Wow! Interesting shot, Josh. I wonder what they were saying   . Perhaps you were not close enough to hear   .

You'll notice in my shot of the tiger, the flotsam on the surface of the muddy water is sharp both in front of the tiger and behind, indicating that I did not use a long telephoto. In fact, I used the 24-105 zoom on my 5D for that shot. Fortunately for me, the tiger was Buddhist and had been raised mainly on chicken meat (as opposed to red meat)   .
Pages: [1]   Go Up