Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linhoff 679 experience  (Read 4542 times)

cunim

Linhoff 679 experience
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »

Looking for user comments about the Linhof 679cs for work with MFDBs.  No backpacking or hiking.  Some drive-up situations but mainly inside.  Thinking of getting one.

BobDavid

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:55:12 pm »

From what I hear, it's a beautifully machined camera but fussy to use.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:32:12 pm »

A lot of Steffen Jahn's, Colin Campbell's and Kelvin Murray's work is done on an M679cs
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

michael

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:48:06 pm »

cunim

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:11 pm »

Quote from: michael
You might find this of interest.

Michael

Yes, Michael.  I had read your comments and they engendered my interest in this camera.  However, that was four years ago.  How do you feel now?  Do you still reach for the 679cs when only full movement freedom will do?

cunim

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:18:00 pm »

Quote from: yaya
A lot of Steffen Jahn's, Colin Campbell's and Kelvin Murray's work is done on an M679cs

Thanks, Yaya.  I looked at those web sites and it is a strong recommendation for the camera.  On the other hand, I think that lot could create stunning photographs with a Brownie.

michael

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:12:15 pm »

Quote from: cunim
Yes, Michael.  I had read your comments and they engendered my interest in this camera.  However, that was four years ago.  How do you feel now?  Do you still reach for the 679cs when only full movement freedom will do?

No. I stopped using it about a year later and then sold it. It just didn't suit the way in which my style of working was developing. These days I'm more than satisfied with a Phase One DF and P65+ for my landscape work, and the Leica M9 for my travel and street shooting.

Michael
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:12:35 pm by michael »

archivue

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:46:46 am »

i've tried it once... and didn't like it to much.

have you heard of the new arca M line 2 ?

quite cheaper... and really good !

cunim

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 09:37:12 am »

Quote from: archivue
i've tried it once... and didn't like it to much.

have you heard of the new arca M line 2 ?

quite cheaper... and really good !
Thanks for the comments.  Great to hear from people with experience as it is all theory for me now.  Archivue, I have issues with perspective that may benefit from nonparallel rear movements.  At least I want to be able to experiment with these and I don't think they are available on the M2.  An AS agent is going to let me know details.  For parallel rear movements, I will just continue to use the Alpa + Helicon.  That seems to be a simpler solution than any view camera.

Perhaps AS is working on a digital version of the Monolith, but wouldn't any full movement camera be a pain to use?  Digital is just so fussy.  I worry that every added movement is also an added alignment issue.  I have a feeling I may need to use a full movement camera for some things, but I will probably find it difficult.  On the other hand, it seems to take me hours to set up a shot anyway, so perhaps the view camera will only be a small component of that.  Time will tell.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:58:16 pm »

I loved it, it is one of the most solid pieces of photographic rquipment you can buy, once you worked with it for a while you can't believe how floppy a Sinar is in comparison. it is not too good for going wide, the arcas have a big advantage in being able to use the standards in reverse, but for medium focal lengths it is a beauty.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

ixpressraf

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:08:01 pm »

Unfortunately i am not using my 679CS anymore but i have had Arca, sinar and cambo "digital" view camera's but none of theme come even close to the perfection and stability the linhof offers. It does take some time to get to know how to use it but after that, it is only enjoying the perfection of that German craftmanship.

jonstewart

Linhoff 679 experience
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 04:30:53 pm »

Quote from: geesbert
I loved it, it is one of the most solid pieces of photographic rquipment you can buy, once you worked with it for a while you can't believe how floppy a Sinar is in comparison. it is not too good for going wide, the arcas have a big advantage in being able to use the standards in reverse, but for medium focal lengths it is a beauty.

Curious what you mean about 'not going wide', considering it can take a Schneider 24 (Rodie 23??), or are you referring to limited movements when using wider lenses, compared with the arcas?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:31:30 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up