Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wave  (Read 7397 times)

howard smith

The Wave
« on: November 12, 2004, 10:45:03 pm »

It is a pretty easy walk in.  To the right, just before the last wash, there are some nice formations if you look around.

The Wave is located just below a black verticle streak on the cliff.

The weather should be cool, so take a lunch and spend the day.  Have fun.

rickster

• http://www.rickowens.net
The Wave
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 08:39:56 am »

What is, and where is, the "wave"?

rickster

• http://www.rickowens.net
The Wave
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 09:03:32 am »

Thanks Tim. I'll put it on my to do list.

Sabercat04

The Wave
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 10:11:00 am »

That should be great photo fun.

While you are there be sure to do Wire Pass if you have time. I was there at the end of April and the slot canyon was great (I admit I haven't yet been to Antelope Canyon so I can't compare it). If I figure how to post pictures on the site I'll put one or two of the canyon up.

hearst

The Wave
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 12:04:53 pm »

When you get to the top of the Wave and have finished all the shots you want there, continue to  explore the area beyond the top.  There are plenty of other interesting formations, some of them much redder than the Wave, above it.

BTW, I saw lots of people there in October. - even a couple with a baby!

howard smith

The Wave
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 12:39:51 pm »

Try August.  No big rush.

matt4626

The Wave
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 06:01:01 pm »

Where does one get a permit?

Bobby

The Wave
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 10:36:50 pm »

I will going to the wave next week.
Any ideas or suggestions
Yes I have my permit, Have been waiting 6 months  

Just recieved a canon 10-22 zoom for my Rebel

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
The Wave
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 11:16:56 pm »

Howard, I think you must be in much better shape than me.

2 1/2 miles on unlevel slickrock in the sun and carrying 20 to 45 lbs of gear.   It was all I could do to get there take the images and walk out.

Definately worth the effort.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
The Wave
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 08:50:24 am »

Google Coyote Buttes Wave.

Here is the first link that pops up..  The Wave

Between Page and Kanab - very limited access by permit only - truly an "Icon" destination...

howard smith

The Wave
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 09:35:52 am »

larry, I'm not in that great shape.  I knew it would be hot (August), so left before sun up each time.  Water was the main deal, so I took pint plastic bottles and left them along the trail for the trip out.  Dropped lunch under a big tree northt of the Wave.  Take a huge drink before you leave.  Once over that first sandy hill, it wasn't too bad.  I took about an hour and a half from parking lot to the last wash.  Walked slowly and looked around alot.  Saved the real looking around for the way out.  Those are the advantages of an out and back trip.

I spent part of the next days looking around the non-permit area of Wire Pass.  Interesting.  Buckskin Gulch is a slot but not as spectacular as Antelope.  There is a huge boulder dam (8' or so) part way down.  Being alone, I decided not to go down out of fear I would have trouble getting back.

November/December shouldn't be as hot.  My camera gear weighted about 25 pounds.  Tripod essential.  I took a wide and normal lenses.  A zoom would be great.  A polarizer is good too there.  I have never seen pools of water there, but have seen some very nice photos.

In three trips there, I saw only two other people on one trip - a couple of high school boys from Salt Lake coming in as I was leaving.  Great private place.

Since it was summer, I exited via the dirt road to the south.  Right to Jacobs Lake for a milk shake.  Best anywhere if you get the "thick."  Then south to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  (The Canyon will be closed now, and I'm not sure about the resturant at Jacobs Lake.)  Turn left and you are headed toward Page, Vermillion Cliffs and Antelope.

Peter McLennan

The Wave
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 11:27:17 am »

Wow, thanks for that link, Tim.  Brennan's site is a gold mine.

howard smith

The Wave
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 12:01:12 pm »

The route isn't all that hard to find in the trailless area.  As you head south, the buttes will be to the right.  You don't need to climb them.  The area to the left is open.  Stay between the buttes and open area in both diretcions.  Can't miss.  There is a little bush whacking not nothing too bad.

The photo of the black crack is valuable.  Just over the last wash, the way gets steep and sandy.  Again, not bad, take your time and have fun.

Image Northwest

The Wave
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 12:28:21 pm »

Lucky you to get a permit to the wave.  I tried to get one online a couple of times and was not successful.  I submitted my entry two minutes after the opening time for a permit seven months in advance and all the days were filled.  Someday maybe...

didger

The Wave
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 01:45:41 pm »

Don't forget Buckskin and Paria Canyon while you're in the area and the incredible white hoodoos on the other side of the highway are worth exploring too.  The best thing is just to plan on about 3 months of daily exploration in the area if you want to scratch the surface.  I've found stunning stuff within 25 miles of Page that the big Page pros (Gary Ladd and Michael Fatali) didn't know about and I've also found a few of their Big Secrets.  You WILL have a great time whether you spend a day or a year.  I'm sort of locked into California for a couple of years, but I keep dreaming of Utah.

howard smith

The Wave
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 07:52:52 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up