Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beware of problems with Kaspersky antivirus for the Mac  (Read 6822 times)

Mark F

Beware of problems with Kaspersky antivirus for the Mac
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »

It seems that Kaspersky antivirus software for the Mac and Parallels do not play nicely together. After installing the program my Mac thought there were two monitors attached (there aren't), which resulted in both Lightroom and Firefox being directed to the other monitor. Since there wasn't a second monitor, I couldn't see either program.   Uninstalling the Kaspersky program did not help. After spending hours on the phone with Apple Tech Support I finally had to do a full restore from my last backup.

Unfortunately my LR catalog is somehow messed up and I am having trouble restoring an earlier version. But I will ask about that on the Lightroom thread.
Mark

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:57:10 am »

Quote from: Mark F
It seems that Kaspersky antivirus software for the Mac and Parallels do not play nicely together. After installing the program my Mac thought there were two monitors attached (there aren't), which resulted in both Lightroom and Firefox being directed to the other monitor. Since there wasn't a second monitor, I couldn't see either program.   Uninstalling the Kaspersky program did not help. After spending hours on the phone with Apple Tech Support I finally had to do a full restore from my last backup.

Unfortunately my LR catalog is somehow messed up and I am having trouble restoring an earlier version. But I will ask about that on the Lightroom thread.
Just out of curiosity, why are you running anti-virus software on your Mac? I abandoned that idea about 20 years ago (having used Disinfectant, in case anyone remembers that) and I've not regretted it.

Jeremy

Mark F

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:28:22 pm »

Well, as confirmed in an article in the March issue of Macworld magazine, Mac's aren't immune from viruses, worms, etc., its just that the bad guys so far haven't taken the time to attack the Mac OS on a broad scale.  I was concerned about key-logging more than viruses and worms so when Kaspersky announced its product I signed on. I've been using their Windows product for several years without any problems so I trusted them. I've written for a refund and am curious to see what their response will be.

By the way, I know that this is a hot issue for some Mac users and I'm not looking to start a war here. But that was my reason for purchasing the product.

Quote from: kikashi
Just out of curiosity, why are you running anti-virus software on your Mac? I abandoned that idea about 20 years ago (having used Disinfectant, in case anyone remembers that) and I've not regretted it.

Jeremy
Mark

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:41:41 pm »

Quote from: Mark F
Well, as confirmed in an article in the March issue of Macworld magazine, Mac's aren't immune from viruses, worms, etc., its just that the bad guys so far haven't taken the time to attack the Mac OS on a broad scale.  I was concerned about key-logging more than viruses and worms so when Kaspersky announced its product I signed on. I've been using their Windows product for several years without any problems so I trusted them. I've written for a refund and am curious to see what their response will be.

By the way, I know that this is a hot issue for some Mac users and I'm not looking to start a war here. But that was my reason for purchasing the product.
Fair enough: I know some people do get anxious about malware on the Mac. Despite being generally neurotic, I'm not one of them. I wasn't intending to be argumentative but it seems to me that, with the best of intentions, you've caused more trouble by being cautious.

Unix (the base of OS X) is generally pretty secure and Apple are reasonably prompt in dealing with security threats (reasonably: they're not perfect and some people do moan that they don't immediately leap to close off theoretical loopholes). As long as you don't download and install dodgy software, though, you're very likely to be fine.

Jeremy

pixtweak

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:39:33 am »

Well I am glad to hear Kapersky has come out with a Mac version, as that has been my favorite application on Windows. Sorry to hear that there may be a problem with Parallels.  I just got V5 although I have not installed it yet. I am interested in how this plays out. Have you posted this on the Kapersky Forums, I could not find anything related to this?

Article regarding Anti-Virus protection for your Mac:

http://switchtoamac.com/site/apple-recogni...s-software.html

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:18:41 am »

Quote from: pixtweak
Well I am glad to hear Kapersky has come out with a Mac version, as that has been my favorite application on Windows.
An anti-virus program is your favourite application? Not Photoshop, or Lightroom, or Capture One, or PTGui, or AutoPano, or Canon DPP, or Nikon whatever it's called?

How on earth do you spend your time?

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:26:22 am »

Quote from: kikashi
An anti-virus program is your favourite application? Not Photoshop, or Lightroom, or Capture One, or PTGui, or AutoPano, or Canon DPP, or Nikon whatever it's called?

How on earth do you spend your time?

Jeremy

Jeremy,

You just don't understand how we Window$ users spend our time. Programs that actually do something are way down on the list, because without a suite of 6 to 12 "security" apps of various types, we wouldn't be able to use the others. I try very hard to limit my anti-thuggery activities to no more than 30% of my daily computer use, but that doesn't always work.    

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Dan Wells

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:48 am »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
Jeremy,

You just don't understand how we Window$ users spend our time. Programs that actually do something are way down on the list, because without a suite of 6 to 12 "security" apps of various types, we wouldn't be able to use the others. I try very hard to limit my anti-thuggery activities to no more than 30% of my daily computer use, but that doesn't always work.    

Eric

That's why I use Macs - even if my time's worth $20/hour (the lowest rate I ever bill), an extra hour per day dealing with Windoze thuggery would pay off a very nice Mac in 3-4 months...

-Dan

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:13 pm »

Quote from: Dan Wells
That's why I use Macs - even if my time's worth $20/hour (the lowest rate I ever bill), an extra hour per day dealing with Windoze thuggery would pay off a very nice Mac in 3-4 months...

-Dan

/shrug

I use a free (Avast!) AV suite on my PC.  I've been using personal computers of one sort or another since 1981.  I've never been infected with a virus, trojan or anything else.  Sometimes a spam email comes in and the AV gets a hit, but I never open them anyway.

There's absolutely no time needed to deal with these issues unless you enjoy opening random emails of dubious nature or visit odd websites.  It's user behaviour, primarily, that dictates wether you will be at risk.

At some point, if Macs get enough market share, they will likely become more targetted but just a little thought about what you're doing will protect you on either platform, with a little added protection for free if you feel like it (some corporate environments have little choice but to open random emails, although using something like Google Apps for your email can add a good layer of protection without the need for server level AV which most small business might not be interested in).

It's utterly a myth that PCs are at constant risk or require any sort of constant maintenance anymore than a Mac does.
Phil Brown

Mark F

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »

No, I didn't post it on their site but in poking around there I did find a statement that there were issues with Parallels. When I contacted support they told me it is a Parallels problem and I need to deal with Parallels support. ARGH!  Anyway, I sent an email asking for a full refund and they agreed, no hassle at all.

Thanks for the link to the article.

Quote from: pixtweak
Well I am glad to hear Kapersky has come out with a Mac version, as that has been my favorite application on Windows. Sorry to hear that there may be a problem with Parallels.  I just got V5 although I have not installed it yet. I am interested in how this plays out. Have you posted this on the Kapersky Forums, I could not find anything related to this?

Article regarding Anti-Virus protection for your Mac:

http://switchtoamac.com/site/apple-recogni...s-software.html
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:34:59 pm by Mark F »
Mark

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:47 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
It's utterly a myth that PCs are at constant risk or require any sort of constant maintenance anymore than a Mac does.

Indeed, most malware is now targeting applications.  Adobe Reader tops the list by far (mainly via Javascript vulns):

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5648

As far as A/V for Windows - I've been using MS Security Essentials, very quiet; I really don't appreciate my A/V software jumping up in my face telling me it's "updating".  MS got it right this time - to date the only native 64bit AV client I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:38:13 pm by Joh.Murray »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
Indeed, most malware is now targeting applications.  Adobe Reader tops the list by far (mainly via Javascript vulns):

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5648

As far as A/V for Windows - I've been using MS Security Essentials, very quiet; I really don't appreciate my A/V software jumping up in my face telling me it's "updating".  MS got it right this time - to date the only native 64bit AV client I'm aware of.

MSE is pretty painless.  Highly recommended.

Farmer

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 03:47:47 am »

Might give a whirl, then.  Avast! has been good and was one of the first to actually run on a Windows 64 bit system which is why I've been using it.  It does get a little tedious when it pops up to tell you it's updated all the time :-)
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up