Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Still+motion+technology in perfect harmony  (Read 8012 times)

amsp

Still+motion+technology in perfect harmony
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:26:12 am »

Probably the best use of still+motion+technology I've seen in quite a while...

WRANGLER

GMohrs

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:12 pm »

Pretty cool site. I started to feel guilty about tossing the poor model around so much, though. ;-)
Quote from: amsp
Probably the best use of still+motion+technology I've seen in quite a while...

WRANGLER

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:07:39 pm »

Quote from: GMohrs
Pretty cool site. I started to feel guilty about tossing the poor model around so much, though. ;-)

Excellent!
Who did the work on it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:09:05 pm by paulmoorestudio »

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »

Brillant!

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:54:48 pm »

Wow, that's really well done. Thanks for sharing it.

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 01:57:03 pm »

Quote from: GMohrs

This is wrangler europe group that did this marketing, which is the same group that approved "we are animals".

All the best creative briefs come out of and are intended to play in Europe and especially Asia.

http://www.levi.com.hk/chi/release/index.html

But just as a side note.  In the last few years most photographers have their retoucher on speed dial, now we need an editorial post house on our phone at #3.

BC

amsp

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:57:11 pm »

Quote from: paulmoorestudio
Excellent!
Who did the work on it?

KOKOKAKA

I find most ppl I talked to who visited the site end up manipulating the model to the beat of the music, making a live music video of sorts.. pure genius.

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:13:16 pm »

Quote from: amsp
KOKOKAKA

I find most ppl I talked to who visited the site end up manipulating the model to the beat of the music, making a live music video of sorts.. pure genius.

I think what all of this tells us is there is a lot more to interactive than turning the page, pushing a click through or waiting for you tube to buffer.

It's changing . . . changing fast.

BC

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »

this is really cool, amazing work!

maybe we should start a thread similar to the professional work that´s featuring inspirational work!

Philipp
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

MAmaro

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:45:54 pm »

I loved it, the concept and the the execution.  In fact with the touchpad on my MBP my kids and I had a great time making the model dance to the beat!...lol

Q

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:47:33 pm »

brilliant. looking forward to see more fashion stuff being presented this way

cheers

Bernhard Kristinn

JSK

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 01:27:32 am »

Quote from: bcooter
I think what all of this tells us is there is a lot more to interactive than turning the page, pushing a click through or waiting for you tube to buffer.

It's changing . . . changing fast.

BC

I totally agree!!!

HERE
⨀ LEICA ⨀ PHASE 1 ⨀ HASSELBLAD ⨀ MAMIYA ⨀ NIKON ⨀ CANON ⨀ PROFOTO ⨀ BRONCOLOR ⨀ ARRI ⨀ BRIESE ⨀

Kbro

• http://www.thevisualdynamic.com
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 12:47:02 pm »

Very interesting site.  

I came across this one a while ago as well, and while not as fun or as interactive, I thought it was a neat concept.

http://nudiejeans.com/fitguide#/pan1

Keagan

ctz

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 05:36:04 am »

Perfect armony, maybe, but if you are a one-man-show, (like i used to) you may find this a bit disturbing, as well, as long as every project relies on an army of artists and techs:

http://blog.alexxhenry.com/

BJL

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »

One message I am starting to get is that, as advertising imagery comes to be primarily viewed on TVs, computer displays, and mobile devices (phones, iPad's etc.), resolution needs become very modest by the standards of the MP race, so that "good video plus frame grabs from that video" might often be all that is needed. And 1080p might be more than enough, so even RED cameras start to look like overkill, except for cinematic work.

For a lot of advertising work, the convergence might be rather one-sided, towards "choose gear that gives good enough video, and the stills will take care of themselves". Maybe Pentax/Hoya is smart in targeting its new DMF camera at amateur enthusiasts and mostly outdoor photography rather than at the traditional commercial uses of MF.

jonstewart

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 04:44:50 pm »

Nice ideas, but desperately slooooooow to load (and, no, I'm not on a slow connection)

Cheers
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 05:18:24 pm »

I don't think 10 person shooting crews with continuous light and bluescreen and 6 man-days postprod per major story is going to work for any non-US magazine. This is basically like shooting a music video clip per story. But if it does become industry standard there will be a lot of assistant jobs    

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:19:59 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

E_Edwards

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 05:50:01 pm »

I think there will be an initial period of excessive gimmickry with video on the web, just because it can be done and because of the novelty factor, very much like the early days of Photoshop when we were plagued by 'cool' montages, distortions, transformations, whacky colours and pseudo arty material.

Eventually things settle down.

Budgets are tight for the web, it's a trend that won't be reversed, but to create something of any significance you need to toil, particularly with video. Since money dictates length of time and effort, I don't expect too many miracles and gimmicks like the clip in this post which is basically a glorified manual scroll of of a clip, while it may look impressive and dynamic or interactive now, once it's emulated by others a few times, it will induce stupor in all but the most fervent techno-geeks.

Edward

bcooter

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 01:56:56 pm »

Quote from: E_Edwards
Eventually things settle down.

I had an interesting call from a publisher last night, who mentioned his new I-pad version of their magazine, going interactive, the move away from print . . . etc. etc. etc.

I listened said sure, but how do you plan to do this on the budgets you now have?    The phone got very quiet and he said, well you know we just have our photographers shoot video and shoot stills and then we put it in the magazine.

OK.  I can see the point of making an interesting photograph, I can see the point of making an interesting video, but since I'm in the "Making Interesting Images For Money Business", I wondered how this is gonna play out?

Most advertisers and their agencies that have experience in broadcast understand the cost of editing video/motion/film/whatever, but few from the publishing world of stills have a grasp of what it takes to go from still to motion and even on the client (advertiser) side of the chain, unless they just purpose over their broadcast commercial to I-pad play, I doubt seriously if they're gonna spend the minimum 6 figure range to make an interesting single page ad that moves.

Now on the supplier side of this chain, I know what a black hole of time video can be, even on the very fastest of computers.  Just to cut 1 minute of decent footage that doesn't have obvious glitches can take a long, long time.

It's nothing to walk into the editorial suite on Monday, and come out blurry eyed, unshaven and staggering silly on Thursday and that's just the first cut.  Wait until you get to revision 12.

Now let's say the Photographer doesn't want to be involved in the edit.  OK, that saves a few weeks a project, but you still gotta know how to shoot it and know how to devise a combination still and motion shoot that works in both mediums.

Trust me on this.  Telling a widescreen story that moves (think Ridley Scott) is a hell of a lot different than telling a story in a single frame and even if you never want to know the words pro res 422, .avi, fcp, or Avid, until you even take a watered down editing class you'll never really understand why it's impossible to have "enough" footage or why a camera that stays stationary is very boring.

Wait until you point your 16x9 camera at a vertical set.  Lightstands, sandbags, assistants eating those little breakfast sammiches all come into view unless you shoot the face, shoot the waist, shoot the feet and try to cut together something that doesn't look silly.

Then there is the issue of working in the same style of motion you worked in in stills.  Sure in motion you can shoot and bleach out backgrounds, mask out subjects, add filters, bump the curves, but something as simple as cloning out a power line that cross a street or a piece of trash that blow through the frame, can go from a 15 minute still retouch to a 2 day post production process.

I guess eventually this will all work out, but right now with the state of the economy nobody is asking for million dollar video projects that they purpose over to stills, or vice versa.   Once the economy improves they probably will, but today, first we need the device, (I-pad), then we need every magazine on the news stands designed for it, then publishers and image makers need to find a way t o get paid for all of this extra work.

We also need, more than anything, a base standard of viewing.  Will it be quicktime, wmv, flash, html 5 and will it stream quickly on 3G, 4G, 5G, at home on cable, or dsl, or will it take fiber optics?

All of this makes a hell of a lot of difference and bits per second mean a whole lot more than frame size or  progressive vs. interlaced.

You can make a beautiful video that plays on your desktop Full rez, but try to optimize that out to anyone that can view it within the week and if you think every person in the world has quicktime 7 loaded on their computer it's just not so.  I can't count the number of times I've had an AD ask for me to repurpose a file in wmv so his client can see it.

Actually it would be nice just to have one standard of shooting, mpg2, Redcode, avhcd, avhd lite, whatever, but no maker's camera shoots the same file type and few if any can just be thrown up on the web for review without batch conversion, unless all production moves to flip tv.

As far as equipment, get used to reading stuff like this;  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLet...on-Firmware.jsp and buying stuff that probably will find it's way on the shelf in 12 months.

OK, i've probably gone on too long about this but I should add that the day an I-pad appears I will buy one because it looks like an easy way to show an updated portfolio and motion imagery on one device and of course there is the wow factor until they become commonplace.

The thing is I really wonder if the I-pad will be universally adopted.  It's really too big to carry in you pocket, too fragile to carry around in your hand and in reality does less, (not more) than any small laptop.

I guess it will all change and somebody will devise an I-pad collar brace or necklace, or fanny pack or maybe take all those tan photo vests and line them with i-pad, Kindle, I-phone, Blackberry, Newton holders.  

That way you can play any of the 15 formats and never miss a thing.

Sometimes I get this feeling that the people that make this stuff (Apple) seems to think that there only two markets are NY and LA and most the world never steps outside, they just sit at home and look at computers.

I'm not trying to be negative on this and I think in a few years, things will be much different than today, but to really step forward and make a profit from this stuff, the economy has to improve.

I do know that I am sure of one thing that the skill sets needed for professional image makers isn't going to change, it's already changed, the trick isn't in doing it, it's getting paid well for it.

BC
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:04:34 pm by bcooter »

fredjeang

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:37 pm »

I've been asked by a great fashion photographer to get rid of flash for the editorials and built a structure displayable on this medium.
There will be videos mixed with stills.
It's a lot of work involved.
Fortunalely there is a very professional team behind and things are done in such a way that are involved people
who work in different specialities. First is harmonising the story. Video will not be problematic when the competition will allow flash, and they will.

Now,
It is not going to be paid what it should be.
That is what changed the most, more than the skills required.

Fred.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:19:49 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up