Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seitz 617  (Read 5693 times)

babakBoghraty

Seitz 617
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:13:46 am »

I just took delivery of this camera.  After one day:

1. Operation is easy and intuitive -- took me twenty minutes to learn its basic operation.  
2. Operating the camera from a tablet was far less cumbersome than I expected.  Focusing is painless and accurate.  This is a joy compared to my p45/Alpa combination as far as preview and focusing is concerned.  
3. The big one: image quality is everything I expected.  The files are clean, sharp and with good color.  I wanted IQ similar to my P45+ at a much larger scale and am not disappointed.  I have not printed yet but can't wait.
4. Customer service was: well, lets just say Werner Seitz came to my house himself to show me the camera, and I am just a customer off the street.

This is a new day for those of us who used to haul large format film equipment into the field for the sake of IQ and large prints.  This small company has managed to cross a significant technological threshold.  I just don't understand why everyone is not rushing out to buy one of these!

Graham Mitchell

Seitz 617
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:58 am »

I've been waiting for someone on the forum to get one of these. I hope you enjoy it and that you share some results with us.

Dick Roadnight

Seitz 617
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:34 am »

Quote from: babakBoghraty
I just took delivery of this camera.

This is a new day for those of us who used to haul large format film equipment into the field for the sake of IQ and large prints.  This small company has managed to cross a significant technological threshold.  I just don't understand why everyone is not rushing out to buy one of these!
What I was waiting for was the Seitz 617 back for the Sinar 5 * 7 and similar view cameras, to get a full range of movements with it.

Now I think the Seitz 617 would not be cost-effective to buy in addition to an H4D-60 with a triple/hex stitching back.

What ISO/total exposure/effect shutter speeds are you using for what subjects?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

babakBoghraty

Seitz 617
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:04 am »

I took the Seitz 617 over the option of upgrading to a p65.  That upgrade would cost half the price of the Seitz, but only provide 30% more resolution.  I also did not find it practical or pleasant to stitch with a MFDB.  I will use my MFDB with an Alpa TC and a wide angle lens set at hyperfocal -- for the sake of speed and convenience.  But when shooting out of the car, I think the Seitz will be my system of choice.  

I use ASA 100.  My scan time (there is no shutter) is between 4-10 seconds depending on the lighting.  I am shooting landscape.  Out of the box, I took the camera to the yard and snapped a shot of the Alps at sunset -- wow.  

The 617 format is very special, too -- it is like looking at the image in stereo.  You can also take two 617 images at 15mm rise and fall, and stitch for a 917 image of 1.5gig.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Seitz 617
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:08:27 pm »

Can the capture be customized in any way to say capture images in the 612 aspect ratio ?

Cropping  of course is an option but if a less wide pan is required then the read/write time could be improved

Mark
www.marktomalty.com

babakBoghraty

Seitz 617
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:31:58 pm »

Yes, you can choose 6x4, 6x7, 6x9 and 612 from the capture menu.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Seitz 617
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:11 pm »

Can we see some photos taken:
a. in low light
b. in good light, but with subject movement.
c. in interiors, with bare light fittings in the frame.

Kumar

rhsu

Seitz 617
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:34:54 am »

I just took delivery of this camera.  After one day:

1. Operation is easy and intuitive -- took me twenty minutes to learn its basic operation.  
2. Operating the camera from a tablet was far less cumbersome than I expected.  Focusing is painless and accurate.  This is a joy compared to my p45/Alpa combination as far as preview and focusing is concerned.  
3. The big one: image quality is everything I expected.  The files are clean, sharp and with good color.  I wanted IQ similar to my P45+ at a much larger scale and am not disappointed.  I have not printed yet but can't wait.
4. Customer service was: well, lets just say Werner Seitz came to my house himself to show me the camera, and I am just a customer off the street.

wow... well done!  I remember seeing this and couldn't find any feedbacks from anyone.  So I look forward to sample images.

CAVEAT:  as you may already know, best to make sure it's a good fle - or else you get the coveted critics giving you a good bashing

michele

Seitz 617
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:12:49 am »

we can download raw samples in the seitz website... one thing that i don't like of this system is the artefacts and aleasing you find everywhere in the file... if you take a close look to the files from betterlight scan back you will see a very clean texture, beautifull smooth tones exactly like my P45 at 50 iso. the seitz files are strange... i love that format, i love the capability of using linhof and fuji lenses... perhaps i expect too much...
by the way congratulations!

babakBoghraty

Seitz 617
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 04:53:29 am »

The images on the Seitz website are pretty representative.  Color artifacts are there especially in transitions from extreme shadow to extreme highlights.  They can be removed somewhat effectively with the Seitz processing software and CS4.  They typically show up in reflections in water.  But the shadows and skies are clean and color is very good.  So, in sum, if you pixel peep a file from this camera against a p45 file, your will notice less sharpness and more noise.

But the point of this camera is that you do not have to pixel peep, because you do not need to enlarge as much.  Printed at 240dpi, a Seitz file gives you a 90x250 print, which is about as big as I can print on the 9900 or would want to.  It is an awesome sight to behold.  Again, format is a big factor is the way these prints impress.  

When you view the Seitz and p45 prints side by side enlarged to their normal viewing size, the Seitz prints have an ethereal quality that can be described as large format (in the traditional sense) where p45 files would be medium format.  Like with film the sheer volume of additional information makes us perceive the image as having better tonality and depth.

I have not seen Better Light files; for me a 10min wait in the field for each image rules out this option.  I would rather fiddle with stitching.

michele

Seitz 617
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 06:01:45 am »

The images on the Seitz website are pretty representative.  Color artifacts are there especially in transitions from extreme shadow to extreme highlights.  They can be removed somewhat effectively with the Seitz processing software and CS4.  They typically show up in reflections in water.  But the shadows and skies are clean and color is very good.  So, in sum, if you pixel peep a file from this camera against a p45 file, your will notice less sharpness and more noise.

But the point of this camera is that you do not have to pixel peep, because you do not need to enlarge as much.  Printed at 240dpi, a Seitz file gives you a 90x250 print, which is about as big as I can print on the 9900 or would want to.  It is an awesome sight to behold.  Again, format is a big factor is the way these prints impress.  

When you view the Seitz and p45 prints side by side enlarged to their normal viewing size, the Seitz prints have an ethereal quality that can be described as large format (in the traditional sense) where p45 files would be medium format.  Like with film the sheer volume of additional information makes us perceive the image as having better tonality and depth.

I have not seen Better Light files; for me a 10min wait in the field for each image rules out this option.  I would rather fiddle with stitching.

I think you are right, the point of the seitz is the format and the file is huge!!!
Again congratulations

babakBoghraty

Seitz 617
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:48:33 am »

Quote from: michele
I think you are right, the point of the seitz is the format and the file is huge!!!
Again congratulations

Grazie Michele

michele

Seitz 617
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:02:38 pm »

Grazie Michele

Prego, buon divertimenti con il nuovo giocattolo  
Pages: [1]   Go Up