Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 ethernet connection problem  (Read 4127 times)

Sunny Kelly

Z3100 ethernet connection problem
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:07:36 pm »

I have posted on 3 sites so far and I have not been able to get any response. I had to replace my modem, ATT gave me a 2Wire brand modem and router combo.
I was able to get the router /modem to give the printer an IP address but still cannot get it to connect. I have been on the phone with HP, 2Wire, and Lexjet technicians but still not working. Any ideas?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:27:34 pm »

Quote from: Sunny Kelly
I have posted on 3 sites so far and I have not been able to get any response. I had to replace my modem, ATT gave me a 2Wire brand modem and router combo.
I was able to get the router /modem to give the printer an IP address but still cannot get it to connect. I have been on the phone with HP, 2Wire, and Lexjet technicians but still not working. Any ideas?

you might just want to statically configure the printer's ip address.  Most of 2wire's products default to a device address of 192.168.1.254.  If you give your printer a 192.168.1.250 address with a default gateway address of the modem (ie: 192.168.1.254) - you should be working.....

you didn't mention whether your computer is able to connect, if so, what is your computer's ip showing as?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:40:11 pm »

FWIW I assume you have an actual router and not a switch.   I made that mistake with my Epson.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:47:47 am »

I had problems with my router sending pings that kept my 3100 from sleeping until I manually configured the IP address on the printer.  I'm not sure what difference it made, but it seems like a better, more stable connection overall in addition to solving the sleep problem.  You might want to give the manual route a try.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:28:03 am »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
you might just want to statically configure the printer's ip address.  Most of 2wire's products default to a device address of 192.168.1.254.  If you give your printer a 192.168.1.250 address with a default gateway address of the modem (ie: 192.168.1.254) - you should be working.....

you didn't mention whether your computer is able to connect, if so, what is your computer's ip showing as?

This is correct. Also make sure to use the same subnet for all machines.

An IP address generally has 3 parts

1) the device address. as above, this would be 192.168.1.250
2) the subnet: for this ip using 255.255.255.0 would be okay.
3) the gateway address which is usually the address of a router.

The gateway address is optional unless the device ever needs to communicate with the gateway in which case it is mandatory. To determine the gateway address, go to your computer, open a command window and type ipconfig and then hit the Enter key.

Ipconfig will return the address, subnet and gateway for your computer. In small networks almost all use the same gateway address. So whatever you find for the gateway address of your computer is about 99% chance of being the same as needed for the printer.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:36:21 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
I had problems with my router sending pings that kept my 3100 from sleeping until I manually configured the IP address on the printer.  I'm not sure what difference it made, but it seems like a better, more stable connection overall in addition to solving the sleep problem.  You might want to give the manual route a try.

With a static address, the machine usually ignores queries from it's dhcp server.

[digression]
That could be a sign of a failing broadband router or a really short renewal interval from the router's dhcp server.

I've seen cases where this kind of problem is due to the router sending out a constant stream of what is called ARP queries. The phenomena is called an ARP flood. This was pretty typical several years ago. IIRC the Cisco 600 series of DSL modems/routers did it, as one example, but newer routers mostly don’t.

The test would be to use a so-called protocol analyzer to monitor the signals sent by the router (and anything else you’d like to track)

The problem with this ARP floods is that it reduces bandwidth due to the constant stream of data being sent.
[/digression]

Sunny Kelly

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:22:04 pm »

Wow that's the most help I've had. I have been able to get back to the computer until now and will give these suggestions a try. Thanks bunches

Sunny Kelly

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »

I am on a Win 7/64bit. The 2Wire brand modem/router combo was provided by AT&T. I have just changed the address to the suggested one.250 and still not recognized. I am going to restart the printer and the computer.

Sunny Kelly

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:15:18 pm »

I changed the numbers, and the printer utility saw the change but still will not connect

Sunny Kelly

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 05:26:18 pm »

The printer is not letting change the IP address it reverts back to an entry I made to it yesterday. I am about to pull my remaining 3 hairs out

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 06:08:12 pm »

Hmmm. Do you have a differnt network cable to use for testing the connection between the printer and your switch/router?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:46:04 pm »

Sunny:  you mentioned you were running win7/64.  When you initially established a network connection, what network type did you select?  Home or Work would be the most appropriate for you, if you selected public - you probably *will not* be able to connect to your printer.

Open Network and Sharing Center

then click the network type (indicated right under View Active Networks), then change it to Home or Work....

One other thing i can think of is the hostname of your printer, if you gave it a name other than the default - you could have an issue if there is a duplicate hostname on your subnet.....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:47:19 pm by Joh.Murray »

Sunny Kelly

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:18 am »

Joh, thanks for responding . I set the computer to family instead of public, still will not connect. The biggest frustration right now is that I cannot get the printer to take new IP addresses in the manual mode, not sure what's going on there.

Sunny Kelly

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 08:37:10 pm »

Thanks for all the post. It turned out that the lightning got through the Cat5 cable and messed up the formatter board. I am able as of right now to use USB, it took some doing but all is well. Profiled my papers again and printed some images that came out great. I am not sure what to do about the formatter  though, insurance will cover it but I have to pay the deductible, not sure if I should do it or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up