Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The New Pentax MF  (Read 7763 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
The New Pentax MF
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »

Bernard,

Many thanks for writing-up this fascinating story - in particular the interview. It's very informative. One aspect I found particularly compelling is his explanation of the marketing strategy and the leveraging of their traditional technical resources to enter at a much lower price point than we've seen on MF heretofore. I would be inclinded to think this development poses a challenge to the other players, despite differences in the products and the fact that the 645D is just making its debut. From what you say this image quality seems impressive. Too bad it's only going to be available in Japan for a while, but the reason they give makes very good sense. I'd be really keen to hear more about image quality as they get into production, sales and people start using them.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Bernard,

Many thanks for writing-up this fascinating story - in particular the interview. It's very informative. One aspect I found particularly compelling is his explanation of the marketing strategy and the leveraging of their traditional technical resources to enter at a much lower price point than we've seen on MF heretofore. I would be inclinded to think this development poses a challenge to the other players, despite differences in the products and the fact that the 645D is just making its debut. From what you say this image quality seems impressive. Too bad it's only going to be available in Japan for a while, but the reason they give makes very good sense. I'd be really keen to hear more about image quality as they get into production, sales and people start using them.

Cheers,

Mark

Agreed - Thanks Bernard for the insight into the camera and the manufacturers thinking. Interesting reading.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:22:45 pm »

I look forward to hearing more.... do you have upcoming plans/arrangments to evaluate a sample in ther field?

John R

The New Pentax MF
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:36:49 pm »

Interesting. I'm saving my pennies!

JMR

michael

The New Pentax MF
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
I look forward to hearing more.... do you have upcoming plans/arrangments to evaluate a sample in ther field?

Pentax isn't about to send a sample for review, at least not till it's available outside of Japan. I'm hoping someone will buy one out of Japan and submit a review.

Nick?

Michael

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:27 pm »

Excellent interview. As a long-time Pentax user who moved to Canon when I needed to switch to digital (Pentax didn't yet have anything serious in the digital line), I was drooling all the way through. Almost every detail mentioned seemed aimed at the features I would like. It's the first MF digital camera that I can imagine myself maybe actually buying some day -- if the delay before the U.S. entry gives my retirement funds time to recover from the recent economic crisis. 

Thanks for this, Bernard!

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »

Why is the lack of an AA filter an advantage? If eliminating it at the design stage permits better image quality, what has stopped smaller sensor cameras being designed without it?
“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:48:49 pm »

I have seen numerous mentions of the Four Thirds format dSLR cameras being less than optimally proportioned for landscape photography. IIRC internet reviewers even say things like "Look elsewhere if: you are primarily a landscape photographer", etc.

The new pentax's sensor is proportioned 4:3 and the interviewee in the article repeats about ten times that it is targeted at landscape photographers.

I thought LL would be the right place to ask my question: what is the optimal sensor proportion for a landscape photographer? (And, if not 4:3, is pentax blundering?)
“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »

Quote from: tnargs
Why is the lack of an AA filter an advantage? If eliminating it at the design stage permits better image quality, what has stopped smaller sensor cameras being designed without it?

The new Leica M9 is a FF 35mm DSLR therefore smaller sensor than MF, and it too does not have an AA filter. This is an age-old issue. An AA filter does soften the image a bit and is mainly meant to deal with moire; however to the extent one can deal with moire in software, it really isn't needed. I think the manufacturers have put it there to avoid complaints from users when moire strikes. I certainly prefer the added sharpness without the AA filter and dealing with the occasional bit of moire independently when it happens - which is infrequently.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:53:53 pm »

I have seen numerous mentions of the Four Thirds format dSLR cameras being less than optimally proportioned for landscape photography. IIRC internet reviewers even say things like "Look elsewhere if: you are primarily a landscape photographer", etc.

The new pentax's sensor is proportioned 4:3 and the interviewee in the article repeats about ten times that it is targeted at landscape photographers.

I thought LL would be the right place to ask my question: what is the optimal sensor proportion for a landscape photographer? (And, if not 4:3, is pentax blundering?)

The newest Phase-1 backs are also 4/3. I haven't heard complaints from landscape photographers I know who use it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:39:44 am »

As someone who shoots landscapes primarily, I'd say that with editing software and panorama software for stitching, the 4/3 format or any particular format isn't really an issue anymore.  My old 120 film camera shoots 6x6, and from the resulting images I choose the format that fit the image.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:48:04 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
As someone who shoots landscapes primarily, I'd say that with editing software and panorama software for stitching, the 4/3 format or any particular format isn't really an issue anymore.  My old 120 film camera shoots 6x6, and from the resulting images I choose the format that fit the image.

Mike.

Ditto...  As a nature photographer on Canon at 3:2, medium format at 4:3 and now back again, I have to say I actually prefer the 4:3 after a couple of years on it.  That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 3:2, 4:3 or square camera--it's not that hard to either make the format work or crop within it.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 01:13:36 am »

Hi,

We had long discussions about this on LuLa forums. In theory the AA-filter is needed for correct sampling. It seems that most photographers prefer AA-filter less design, because:

- AA-filter less designs seem to have better edge sharpness
- The artifacts caused by lack of AA-filtering are seldom visible
- The artifacts are mainly color moiré effect. Aliasing can also show up as jagged lines, no continuous hair strains and so on

Less than perfect technique may mask the lack of AA-filter. The AA-filter is only needed if the lens outresolves the sensor, in the sense that it has significant MTF at Nykquist limit.

This is also one area where theory and practice may be slightly apart. There is little doubt that AA filter less designs have artifacts, which cannot be handled in postprocessing. It is also pretty clear that the AA-artifacst are not very visible in real life, although some observers see them clearly. The color moirés can be reduced in software. Stopping down the lens beyond optimum acts as an AA-filter, and this would also apply to defocusing.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:22:34 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:54 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
We had long discussions about this on LuLa forums. In theory the AA-filter is needed for correct sampling.

There is little doubt that AA filter less designs have artifacts, which cannot be handled in postprocessing.  

Best regards
Erik

Erik, could you please point us to the technical literature explaining these statements, because they aren't self-evident, and several manufacturers of the most sophisticated digital imaging equipment  on the market do not use these filters.

Ben Rubinstein

The New Pentax MF
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 10:06:44 am »

I get moire on brides veils very often - shooting a 5D with an AA filter (albeit light). Sometimes on the mens suits as well. I would be scared to have to deal with it from a non AA filter camera. Sharpening can be done as a batch action. Moire removal cannot and therefore will necessitate more time than I'm willing to dedicate for the percieved advantage. That's me personally however.

tsjanik

The New Pentax MF
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48:40 am »

Bernard:

I would like to add my thanks for this interview to those already expressed.  As a landscape photographer with a large collection of Pentax MF lenses, I have watched the development of the 645D with more interest than most over many years  .  Perfect choice of questions, particularly the rationale for an integrated back; Mr. Maekawa’s reply convinced me that an interchangeable back would not be worth the liabilities. Also interesting is the point that Pentax kept costs lower by learning and borrowing from its lower cost APS-C cameras; a path not available to the other MFDB makers.
I should also mention that I found Mr. Maekawa’s replies to sound very forthright and honest, no hyperbole; very refreshing.
Although it is unfortunate for many that the camera will initially be available only in Japan, Pentax has minimized the financial risks by confining the camera to the home market where the support structure already exists.  Pentax Corporation has been subject to a lot of criticism during the conversion to digital both for its products and business strategy (remember the name *ist?), but  I think they got it right this time.

Tom

fredjeang

The New Pentax MF
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:41 pm »

Quote from: tsjanik
...  Pentax Corporation has been subject to a lot of criticism during the conversion to digital both for its products and business strategy (remember the name *ist?), but  I think they got it right this time.

Tom
Yes Tom,
I think that they started to go in a good direction since the K20, and got it right since the K7.
The main issue with Pentax will be their lenses. They have a limited top choice in dslr compared to Nikon and Canon and many Pentax users, as in my case, still use a lot of vintage manual lenses.
The lenses line point will be very important I think.

Fred.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
The New Pentax MF
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:57 pm »

Quote from: tsjanik
Bernard:

Mr. Maekawa’s reply convinced me that an interchangeable back would not be worth the liabilities.
Tom

On the basis of what knowledge and authority should you be convinced by this statement? DO you really believe that Phase-1 for example isn't capable of manufacturing interchangeable MF systems which fit together perfectly when used as designed? Do they sell these extremely expensive systems to demanding professionals and advanced amateurs only to open themselves up to liabilities?

Look, it's fine if Pentax and Leitz decided for their own reasons to sell an integrated product, but that doesn't mean there's necessarily anything at all wrong or risky about the other system, if made right.

fredjeang

The New Pentax MF
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
On the basis of what knowledge and authority should you be convinced by this statement? DO you really believe that Phase-1 for example isn't capable of manufacturing interchangeable MF systems which fit together perfectly when used as designed? Do they sell these extremely expensive systems to demanding professionals and advanced amateurs only to open themselves up to liabilities?

Look, it's fine if Pentax and Leitz decided for their own reasons to sell an integrated product, but that doesn't mean there's necessarily anything at all wrong or risky about the other system, if made right.
Exactly.
These are two different phylosophies for different needs and approachs. Interchangeable backs are extremely usefull because they provide a grade of modularity that is not possible otherwise.
The Pentax is a fantastic camera and indeed a refreshing and welcome news. I know today that I won't buy it because I plan to work with view cameras as well as mf and also  film so an independant back is obligatory. For others, it will just be what they were looking for.

Fred.

tsjanik

The New Pentax MF
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:40 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
.... The lenses line point will be very important I think.

Fred.
Fred:

You are, of course, correct when you mention lens availability.  I believe you referring to the Pentax 35mm lens lineup; frankly, I thought the DA lens line was a one of the bad decisions.  Not really any size, cost or weight savings compared to FF 35mm lenses, while limiting the sensor size to APS-C.
A quote from Bernard’s interview of Mr.Maekawa:
We believe that many photographers who used to own our film bodies are looking for a reasonably affordable digital solution that would enable them to keep using their lenses while delivering all the values of digital bodies.”
There is a large number of Pentax lenses out there waiting for a digital body.  Apparently Pentax’s intention is to initially produce bodies for photographers who have an exisiting supply of Pentax MF lenses. As a customer, I might prefer many new lenses, but as a business decision it makes sense- they are introducing the camera without a huge initial cost in lens design and production.
According to the interview, existing film lenses (other than wide angle) work quite well.  In my own informal tests of 67 and 645 lenses on a K20D, the MF lenses are the equal of the 35mm.

I’m ready for a visit to Japan.

Tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up