Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 best fiber gloss paper  (Read 2886 times)

Roscolo

z3100 best fiber gloss paper
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:42:16 pm »

I have not had a use for a fiber gloss paper until now. I have a customer who has been getting lightjet and chromira prints and I'm trying to steer him towards me. The RC Gloss prints on the z probably aren't going to do it, but I think if he may go for a fiber gloss look.

I know there were some issues with papers curling and getting head strikes in the past. Hopefully now there are some "winners." Anyone who has printed on some of these fiber gloss have a clear favorite for the z3100?

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:11 pm »

Hi,
I hope you have the updated pinch rollers (tan in color), as opposed to the original black ones. The black ones really chewed up the baryta.

But with the tan ones and the newest revision of the platen it does work with these delicate papers.

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: Roscolo
I have not had a use for a fiber gloss paper until now. I have a customer who has been getting lightjet and chromira prints and I'm trying to steer him towards me. The RC Gloss prints on the z probably aren't going to do it, but I think if he may go for a fiber gloss look.

I know there were some issues with papers curling and getting head strikes in the past. Hopefully now there are some "winners." Anyone who has printed on some of these fiber gloss have a clear favorite for the z3100?

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:41:07 pm »

Yes I use them all the time and only on the Z.

I've used and tested just about all of these on the Z the last two years. What I use now almost exclusively is Hahnemuhle Photorag Barya a non-oba, in roll form, and also the new Cone Type 5 fiber gloss that is similar but better than Crane Silver Rag. I'm testing that one now and it looks really promising, especially for black and white gelatin silver clones.

For brighter  surfaces with oba by far my favorite is Innova Semi-Matte ( called satin in Europe). I really wish they had made this in a non-oba and then it would be my pick for #1. It has the perfect texture and the least gloss differential issues of them all, but it a little on bluish white side. The other good ones are Crane Silver Rag ( non-oba) and Innova Ultra-Smooth Gloss ( aka Epson Exhibition Fiber also with oba ), which also comes in all the roll sizes.

Although I had the new star wheel assembly installed after a year and a half, I never had the Tan rollers installed because I haven't had any negative issues ever with any of the above papers. The only paper I ever saw roller marks on was the Harmon Gloss and that was before the adjustable star wheel assembly was installed. The Harmon looks plastic to me so I don't use it.  I have quit using the Ilford Gallerie Gold because of unacceptable bronzing and gloss differential, especially with black and white and is SCRATCHES really easily. I tried the Canson Platinum Rag and it seemed fine but I still like  H. Photorag Baryta the best overall. The new Hahnemuhle Baryta Fiber Base has an improved texture over the earlier also bright Fine Art Baryta but with a strange pinkish hue to the base. Don't know what they were thinking about with that. Look at it in daylight and you will laugh out loud. Otherwise it would be nice.

john

Quote from: dandeliondigital
Hi,
I hope you have the updated pinch rollers (tan in color), as opposed to the original black ones. The black ones really chewed up the baryta.

But with the tan ones and the newest revision of the platen it does work with these delicate papers.

So long for now, TOM

stevenf

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:25:32 pm »

I have the tan wheels and the starwheels replacement on my z3100. I use the photo rag bartyr and really like it, no issues with marks on this paper. I have also tried the Ilford GFS and the Harman Gloss FB AL.  

Steven

www.friedmanphoto.com
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:25:57 pm by stevenf »

mshowe

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:31:15 am »

What media in the Z driver did you use to make your paper preset for the cone 5 media?

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:20:47 am »

Quote from: deanwork
Yes I use them all the time and only on the Z.

I've used and tested just about all of these on the Z the last two years. What I use now almost exclusively is Hahnemuhle Photorag Barya a non-oba, in roll form, and also the new Cone Type 5 fiber gloss that is similar but better than Crane Silver Rag. I'm testing that one now and it looks really promising, especially for black and white gelatin silver clones.

For brighter  surfaces with oba by far my favorite is Innova Semi-Matte ( called satin in Europe). I really wish they had made this in a non-oba and then it would be my pick for #1. It has the perfect texture and the least gloss differential issues of them all, but it a little on bluish white side. The other good ones are Crane Silver Rag ( non-oba) and Innova Ultra-Smooth Gloss ( aka Epson Exhibition Fiber also with oba ), which also comes in all the roll sizes.

Although I had the new star wheel assembly installed after a year and a half, I never had the Tan rollers installed because I haven't had any negative issues ever with any of the above papers. The only paper I ever saw roller marks on was the Harmon Gloss and that was before the adjustable star wheel assembly was installed. The Harmon looks plastic to me so I don't use it.  I have quit using the Ilford Gallerie Gold because of unacceptable bronzing and gloss differential, especially with black and white and is SCRATCHES really easily. I tried the Canson Platinum Rag and it seemed fine but I still like  H. Photorag Baryta the best overall. The new Hahnemuhle Baryta Fiber Base has an improved texture over the earlier also bright Fine Art Baryta but with a strange pinkish hue to the base. Don't know what they were thinking about with that. Look at it in daylight and you will laugh out loud. Otherwise it would be nice.

john

Thanks. I don't have the new star wheel assembly or tan rollers, so I will purchase those if I have issues. I went ahead and ordered some Ilford Galerie Gold Silk because I read about the Hahnemule Baryta being magenta / pink. That pretty much made me disregard Hahnemule altogether. Are you saying there is a Hahnemule fiber gloss paper that doesn't have the pink color? If so, maybe I will take that one for a spin as well.

I'm happy printing my work on HP ID Satin, but if I can get a few more print customers, I suppose it will be worth changing the assembly / rollers if needed.

KevinMcD

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:16:36 am »

I'm enjoying Canson Plantine. I find the gloss differential is not an issue on this paper. It has no OBAs. The finish is very similar to Ilford Galarie Gold but it seems a bit less fragile.

joncanfield

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:52 am »

I'm on the Z3200, but I'm very happy with Moab Colorado Fiber. No head strike issues, excellent look and feel to the media.

Ron Steinberg

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »

Quote from: joncanfield
I'm on the Z3200, but I'm very happy with Moab Colorado Fiber. No head strike issues, excellent look and feel to the media.

Hi Jon,

What paper preset did you use when creating the profile for Moab Colorado Fiber? And are you using the Gloss or Satin version? I have a 24" roll that I haven't used yet but would like to compare to HP ID Satin, which is my main staple for printing.

Thanks,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up