Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving LR from XP to Win7 computer  (Read 2709 times)

marcgoldring

Moving LR from XP to Win7 computer
« on: March 15, 2010, 04:04:46 pm »

I'm completely flummoxed trying to figure out where to put the preferences and settings files from LR in Windows 7. When I moved LR from one XP machine to another, I just copied that whole directory and plopped it into the new computer and off we go. But I can't for the life of me find where those files go in Windows 7. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Marc
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:49:12 pm »

I assume you've installed LR on the Win 7 machine. Create a Develop preset, then right click it and Show in Explorer. In Explorer, got up one folder and that should be where all your settings go.

I don't have a Win 7 machine, but the above worked when I talked someone through it earlier.

John
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:49:55 pm by johnbeardy »

marcgoldring

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:18 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy
I assume you've installed LR on the Win 7 machine. Create a Develop preset, then right click it and Show in Explorer. In Explorer, got up one folder and that should be where all your settings go.

I don't have a Win 7 machine, but the above worked when I talked someone through it earlier.

John

Thanks, John. Incredibly clever. What we do to make up for the shortcomings of this OS...

Marc
Marc Goldring

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:14 pm »

Yeah, but if I had a Win 7 machine (as I may soon do) then I would have been able to tell you without resort to this devious method!

John
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:00:01 pm by johnbeardy »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:08:43 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy

John

Nice tip!

This doesn't cover color labels, though. I lost them while upgrading, and the way I got them "migrated" was to rename the default ones to the ones I had on my old computer. I don't know what would be the solution if I didn't remember the titles, though.

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 05:57:42 pm »

Is Windows 7 worth it? I've got 64 bit Vista and I'm wondering if the switch is worth the hassle of reinstalling everything or not. Unlike most people, I don't hate vista but if I can pick up some extra performance, I'm all for that.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 07:02:15 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
Is Windows 7 worth it? I've got 64 bit Vista and I'm wondering if the switch is worth the hassle of reinstalling everything or not. Unlike most people, I don't hate vista but if I can pick up some extra performance, I'm all for that.

I have limited experience with Vista as I moved directly from XP to Win7 64. From what I gather Win7 is more like a Vista Service Pack, ie. it's mainly tweaks here and there. I understand latest Vista revisions have made it quite capable and not as painfully locked down as the on-release version.

The main benefit Win7 has compared to Vista is that it does take fewer resources and has some improved features making it faster, updated Superfetch probably being the most significant. This is largely made moot if you have your OS on an SSD, though. How much those tweaks improve performance is another matter - I would recommend some prudent googling of real-life benchmarks.

I wouldn't expect much to gain from going to Win7 from Vista, but I'm sure you can find plenty of MS marketing material saying otherwise

FWIW, I ran RC2 for almost a year and was already fond of it, and recently installed Win7 64 Ultimate and couldn't be happier. It's a solid, stable and mature OS, and it gets out of the way and let's me do my thing.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:31 am »

I usually go into the preferences and set 'store presets with catalog'.  Thay way I go to Pictures/ Lightroom/ Settings and they're all there.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned t

marcgoldring

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:47:02 am »

Quote from: feppe
I wouldn't expect much to gain from going to Win7 from Vista, but I'm sure you can find plenty of MS marketing material saying otherwise

FWIW, I ran RC2 for almost a year and was already fond of it, and recently installed Win7 64 Ultimate and couldn't be happier. It's a solid, stable and mature OS, and it gets out of the way and let's me do my thing.

Are there substantial differences between the versions of Win7? My machine came with Home something or other and I wonder if there are other speed advantages to the professional versions - I don't need the additional networking stuff and my version is 64bit...

Marc
Marc Goldring
Pages: [1]   Go Up