Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom & File Organization  (Read 1504 times)

GBengtson

Lightroom & File Organization
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »

I have a Mac Pro with 4 disk drives. Right now I have Lightroom catalog and previews on one drive and my photos on a separate drive. Does anyone have any thoughts about the whether this is an advantage or would it be better if Lightroom was on the same drive as the photos?

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:13:45 pm »

Quote from: GBengtson
I have a Mac Pro with 4 disk drives. Right now I have Lightroom catalog and previews on one drive and my photos on a separate drive. Does anyone have any thoughts about the whether this is an advantage or would it be better if Lightroom was on the same drive as the photos?

You don't really give enough information to definitively state how you should be organising your files. Are you running RAID in the MAC?

For what its worth - this is how I do it. I have a Mac Pro with 4 internal 1 TB hard drives. These are configured in RAID10 with the apple raid card. I store my photos and catalogue (as well as OS and apps) on this set-up. I do it this way as it gives me gobs of speed as well as the redundancy of raid. The whole 4 disk array is backed up daily to an external drobo pro with 4 hard drives in it. There is also a rotating off site back up and another external firewire drive for time machine.

Ultimately there isnt one 'right' way of managing your files and catalogue/s. There are lots of good ways to do it and many more bad ways. I would say as long as you have redundancy and back up (two different things) then it doesn't really matter how you get there in terms of drive configuration.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:23:22 am »

In addition to Josh's excellent comments above, you may want to read Lloyd Chambers article on Lightroom optimisation here: http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-Lightroom.html
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up