Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF Bulb mode and locked continous shooting question ?!  (Read 1872 times)

mAlKhamis

MF Bulb mode and locked continous shooting question ?!
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:37:45 am »

Hey guys what's up  I'm really enjoying my stay in this amazing forum as meeting you all, thank you so much for your support and fast responses to us nosy beginners  

any way my questions is divided into two sections:

1. Does the bulb mode exists in any of the recently introduced phase one or Hasselbald DMF ?

2. any of the recently introduced from both companies have the locked continuous shooting feature, means that i can let the camera takes endless amount of pictures automatically until i stop it manually. perhaps by a remote cable trigger that can be locked or maybe in the DMF itself ?

thank you so much

cheers!

Moh

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:52:39 am »

Quote from: mAlKhamis
1. Does the bulb mode exists in any of the recently introduced phase one or Hasselbald DMF ?

Mamiya AFD1, AFD2, AFD3, Phase One AF, Phase One DF all have a BULB mode under "manual" exposure mode. A traditional cable release can be used, or an electronic cable release can be used.

A limitation for long exposures exists for each digital back. This is usually NOT a hard limit (e.g. "1 minute" does not mean 61 seconds won't work but 59 seconds is perfect), but rather a point judged to still be good quality. It also depends on your needs, since one person's "slight noise" is another man's "unacceptable noise".

Phase one limits:
1 min    - P65+/P40+
1 hour   - P20+ / P21+ / P30+ / P45+
Several min - P45 (non plus)
30 sec - 1 min - P20, P25, P30 (non plus)

This limitation also is effected by ambient temperature. A P45+ in a cold desert night can expose for several hours.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:02:51 am »

2. any of the recently introduced from both companies have the locked continuous shooting feature, means that i can let the camera takes endless amount of pictures automatically until i stop it manually. perhaps by a remote cable trigger that can be locked or maybe in the DMF itself ?

What problem would you be solving with this method? Time lapse? I have a lot of experience with time lapse and this may or may not be the best method for that. Catching a rare moment (e.g. a bear walking by)? If so I have experience with trigger-systems (not expensive or particularly expensive) that could trigger the capture/captures based on a sound, motion, a laser-beam being broken, or other trigger.

However, if you want to call our office we will put a cable release on a mamiya/phase body set to continuos and see what it does when you lock the cable release and walk away. I've never done that for an extended period before.

You can also use a very simple script (we could write it for you but it's only 5 lines of code) to trigger captures forever when tethered to a laptop/desktop which would give you much more storage (e.g. a 500gb portable drive) and the ability to view the images as you capture them without touching the computer - including a variety of ways you could view those images remotely. A 3G cell card stuck in the laptop and Back to my Mac would allow you to view the images anywhere in the world.

Doug Peterson
Personal Work
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:03:31 am by dougpetersonci »

Barkeeper

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:03:22 pm »

Moh
Hi Moh,

I use my H3DII-50 in 90% of my shots in "bulb" or I use the back connected to my ALPA in "bulb" mode via flshsync (copal 0).

There is only a limitation in exposure time.
32s is max (at the moment  )
If you try to capture more then 32s the back tries to read out the chip during exposure, which causes awfull lines in the picture.

Another note:
If you have no expirience with digital medium format, you might not know that:

After you take a picture of e.g. 10 seconds, you have to wait for 10 seconds due to the "dark-slide-calibration".
IMHO only Hasselblad lets you shot again after around only ONE second, even if the exposure time was 32 seconds.

Besides MF the S2 seems to have the same "dark-slide-calibration". (=> 50% waiting time)

This was the reason for my H3.

Barkeeper

mAlKhamis

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59:40 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Mamiya AFD1, AFD2, AFD3, Phase One AF, Phase One DF all have a BULB mode under "manual" exposure mode. A traditional cable release can be used, or an electronic cable release can be used.

A limitation for long exposures exists for each digital back. This is usually NOT a hard limit (e.g. "1 minute" does not mean 61 seconds won't work but 59 seconds is perfect), but rather a point judged to still be good quality. It also depends on your needs, since one person's "slight noise" is another man's "unacceptable noise".

Phase one limits:
1 min    - P65+/P40+
1 hour   - P20+ / P21+ / P30+ / P45+
Several min - P45 (non plus)
30 sec - 1 min - P20, P25, P30 (non plus)

This limitation also is effected by ambient temperature. A P45+ in a cold desert night can expose for several hours.

Doug Peterson
Personal Work

Doug thank you so much for the info, i really appreciate it  it was really enlightening ,, cheers!

mAlKhamis

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:42 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
What problem would you be solving with this method? Time lapse? I have a lot of experience with time lapse and this may or may not be the best method for that. Catching a rare moment (e.g. a bear walking by)? If so I have experience with trigger-systems (not expensive or particularly expensive) that could trigger the capture/captures based on a sound, motion, a laser-beam being broken, or other trigger.

However, if you want to call our office we will put a cable release on a mamiya/phase body set to continuos and see what it does when you lock the cable release and walk away. I've never done that for an extended period before.

You can also use a very simple script (we could write it for you but it's only 5 lines of code) to trigger captures forever when tethered to a laptop/desktop which would give you much more storage (e.g. a 500gb portable drive) and the ability to view the images as you capture them without touching the computer - including a variety of ways you could view those images remotely. A 3G cell card stuck in the laptop and Back to my Mac would allow you to view the images anywhere in the world.

Doug Peterson
Personal Work

Thank you so much Doug,, i was thinking that one of the advantages of having the P40+/P65+ is the sensor+ technology, in which we don't need the high resolution for time lapse pictures,, this is why i was wondering about it ,,, i may contact you guys sometime when i finally decide what to get. thank you so much Doug for your fast response, i really appreciate it my friend !

mAlKhamis

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:08 am »

Quote from: Barkeeper
Hi Moh,

I use my H3DII-50 in 90% of my shots in "bulb" or I use the back connected to my ALPA in "bulb" mode via flshsync (copal 0).

There is only a limitation in exposure time.
32s is max (at the moment  )
If you try to capture more then 32s the back tries to read out the chip during exposure, which causes awfull lines in the picture.

Another note:
If you have no expirience with digital medium format, you might not know that:

After you take a picture of e.g. 10 seconds, you have to wait for 10 seconds due to the "dark-slide-calibration".
IMHO only Hasselblad lets you shot again after around only ONE second, even if the exposure time was 32 seconds.

Besides MF the S2 seems to have the same "dark-slide-calibration". (=> 50% waiting time)

This was the reason for my H3.

Barkeeper

Thank you so much Barkeeper,,, i totally agree with you,, and i'm aware of that problem with other vendors ,,, thank you so i really appreciate your response !
Pages: [1]   Go Up