Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF Series - How to Blogs  (Read 2592 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Canon IPF Series - How to Blogs
« on: March 14, 2010, 04:12:45 am »

Canon have a series of fairly informative blogs on 'how to' with the IPF series printers Here
Much of it is pretty generic stuff, such as set-up and basic color management etc. But there is some good informative stuff in there and an interesting insight into Canons thinking when it comes to printing.

The soft proofing blog is an interesting example - Canon advocate soft proofing the image (good stuff), but then pumping up the saturation until clipping occurs via use of the gamut warning and then just backing off. An interesting approach I have not tried before. I have preferred the Jeff Schewe approach 'TM' of duplicating the image then adjusting contrast via curves and saturation to match the original.

Worth a look if you are an IPF user/owner.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:14:10 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

hsmeets

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:29:25 am »

The video on printing from PS with the export plugin: the lady says: 200dpi is optimal for the iPF printer.....I wonder why as it is not explained.

Quote from: Josh-H
Canon have a series of fairly informative blogs on 'how to' with the IPF series printers Here
Much of it is pretty generic stuff, such as set-up and basic color management etc. But there is some good informative stuff in there and an interesting insight into Canons thinking when it comes to printing.

The soft proofing blog is an interesting example - Canon advocate soft proofing the image (good stuff), but then pumping up the saturation until clipping occurs via use of the gamut warning and then just backing off. An interesting approach I have not tried before. I have preferred the Jeff Schewe approach 'TM' of duplicating the image then adjusting contrast via curves and saturation to match the original.

Worth a look if you are an IPF user/owner.
Cheers,

Huib

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:34:21 am »

What's also interesting is that the soft proofing within their Photoshop printing plug-in is slightly different but certainly more accurate than Photoshop's, particularly when it comes to rendering delicate shadow detail as it will print.

As for the 200dpi recommendation - what the heck? Jumping up to 300ppi from 240ppi or 200ppi certainly improves print quality. I need to run a new set of tests using the new accurate dot placement option on the x300 series and see how much resolution they can effectively resolve.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:47:48 pm »

It's great that Canon put this informative site together. I learned that you should use absolute colorimetric when converting from a smaller to a larger colorspace.
The recommendation of 200dpi did seem strange but I wonder if it because the print plug in increases the resolution to match print output.
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up