Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Places  (Read 3905 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Places
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:37:09 pm »

I've upgraded from 2.2 to 3.x . Altho' I've got faces to work, I'm not getting a map to show up when I try to manually "Place" my photos taken with Sony A700/A900. I never used this function in iPhoto so I'm completely clueless with how to work it properly despite reading the tiny manual included with the disc and watching the tutorials on the Apple site.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Places
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:46:09 pm »

Quote from: Kenneth Sky
I've upgraded from 2.2 to 3.x . Altho' I've got faces to work, I'm not getting a map to show up when I try to manually "Place" my photos taken with Sony A700/A900. I never used this function in iPhoto so I'm completely clueless with how to work it properly despite reading the tiny manual included with the disc and watching the tutorials on the Apple site.

Hard to offer much help without more information.  The Aperture User's Manual is 900 pages long (PDF!) and is the best reference currently available.  It came with the program, but can be downloaded from the Apple Aperture Support page.  I keep it open all the time in Preview, and annotate it freely with the built-in annotation tools (which are easily searched).  The Places information starts on p. 353.  Give it a whirl, and post again if it's not working for you.  You must be on-line to use Places (it's based on Google Maps).

Kenneth Sky

Places
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:13:49 pm »

OK, so I'm getting a little closer to my problem. In iPhoto, I can elicit the map to flip over on the back of a picture by hovering over the picture and clicking the "i" at the bottom right corner of the photo. I can't elicit the "i" in any photo in Aperture. Have I botched up the settings?

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Places
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:12:05 pm »

OK, so I'm getting a little closer to my problem. In iPhoto, I can elicit the map to flip over on the back of a picture by hovering over the picture and clicking the "i" at the bottom right corner of the photo. I can't elicit the "i" in any photo in Aperture. Have I botched up the settings?

There is no "i" flipper in Aperture for individual photos (afaik).  (There is one for Projects.)
Have you tried selecting a photo and clicking the Places button on the toolbar (or just "{Shift}+{p}")?
You can also use the map on the bottom of the Metadata tab of the Inspector (but that is more complicated).

Again, there is a wealth of information about this in the Help file and in the User Manual.  "Help>>Aperture Help>>Aperture 3: User Manual"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:12:47 pm by KirbyKrieger »

Kenneth Sky

Places
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »

Tried all that but the map does not appear except at the bottom of the inspector brick in metadata mode. Even that does not respond to input! Did I not load it correctly?

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Places
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:36:04 pm »

Tried all that but the map does not appear except at the bottom of the inspector brick in metadata mode. Even that does not respond to input! Did I not load it correctly?

I don't know.  Some people with other problems have reported that re-installing Aperture takes care of them.

That's all I can offer.  I'm new to Aperture.  Sorry.

Good luck.  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:51:48 pm by KirbyKrieger »

Kenneth Sky

Places
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 06:17:38 pm »

I've solved the problem. Contrary to popular opinion, "Places" works differently in Aperture than iPhoto. In Aperture it works in live time over the internet with Google maps. I had a filter on blocking that interaction. When I removed it, all functions worked well. My bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up