Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 22 vs Leaf Aptus II 5  (Read 11010 times)

kuau

Leaf Aptus 22 vs Leaf Aptus II 5
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:15:46 pm »

In terms of image quality is there any difference between the two backs?
I know the II 5 has a better display and shoot s at iso 25 where the Aptus 22 starts at 50.
What else am  I missing?

Thanks

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »

Quote from: kuau
In terms of image quality is there any difference between the two backs?
I know the II 5 has a better display and shoot s at iso 25 where the Aptus 22 starts at 50.
What else am  I missing?

Thanks

Both start at 25 iso, the II-5 shoots faster at ~0.8 sec/ frame with a better screen and FW800 connectivity.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 05:00:30 pm »

I found the Aptus 22 LCD screen practically invisible in direct sun. Not a good thing considering it is a touch screen....

But the Aptus II screens are brighter and they do permit viewability outside.

This also helps:

[attachment=20872:Lee_Filt...r_Leaf_1.jpg]

Use it at an angle, otherwise, you're looking at your own reflection. And it's a compendium, so it contracts, making it easier to use the touch screen.

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:00:57 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:54:41 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
I found the Aptus 22 LCD screen practically invisible in direct sun. Not a good thing considering it is a touch screen....

But the Aptus II screens are brighter and they do permit viewability outside.

This also helps:

[attachment=20872:Lee_Filt...r_Leaf_1.jpg]

Use it at an angle, otherwise, you're looking at your own reflection. And it's a compendium, so it contracts, making it easier to use the touch screen.

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

Come on, the Aptus screen is not bad at all and beats any other in usability - excellent histogram and feedback and largest screen in business. For good photos we do not shoot in strong bright sunlight anyways, do we? Mine has worked perfect fine and I am happy with it. When buying my Aptus 65 I compared to P30, and the Aptus screen beat that one hands down to me. That the Aptus II has improved screen is very good but the origial Aptus was already good. The question should be for a buyer if the new screen is worth spending a few extra thousand on a Leaf than buying a used Aptus? The digital back and screen is a tool simply. A hand usually helps to shield, and when too strong light not to read it then it has been too bright contrasty light for photos per my experience.

Is there any difference in actual image quality of Aptus II versus original Aptus line??

Anders

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:31:40 pm »

Quote from: Anders_HK
Steve,

Come on, the Aptus screen is not bad at all and beats any other in usability - excellent histogram and feedback and largest screen in business. For good photos we do not shoot in strong bright sunlight anyways, do we? Mine has worked perfect fine and I am happy with it. When buying my Aptus 65 I compared to P30, and the Aptus screen beat that one hands down to me. That the Aptus II has improved screen is very good but the origial Aptus was already good. The question should be for a buyer if the new screen is worth spending a few extra thousand on a Leaf than buying a used Aptus? The digital back and screen is a tool simply. A hand usually helps to shield, and when too strong light not to read it then it has been too bright contrasty light for photos per my experience.

Is there any difference in actual image quality of Aptus II versus original Aptus line??

Anders

Um, Anders, you do realize I sell Leaf, right? And have been for the past 8 years? I also sell Phase One but nowhere did I mention that the Leaf screen is worse than the Phase One screen, in fact didn't mention Phase One at all.

I'll stand by my assessment of the original Aptus screen - practically invisible in daylight. Yes, if you're not viewing in direct sun, it is better, dimly visible. I presume the time someone may shoot a good photo might be anytime...sort of depends on what one is trying to put across with the photo. In any event, shading is extremely helpful....on any screen. I even shade my 5DMK II.  

I didn't make any comment about functionality but I have always felt the functionality and the touch screen interface on the Aptus series was one of the best things Leaf has ever done.

So, whether the new screen is worth spending a few extra thousand, I can't answer that. It's better, no question about it. A new product would have brand new warranty, that's not a bad thing. In addition to warranty protection, it ensures that any firmware-based upgrades are compatible. And the capture speed is faster and sustained. Is the image quality better....or worse? Without comparing directly an Aptus to an Aptus II, but having seen files, I would say they're very similar. I did see a difference between Aptus and Aptus-S, the original Aptus seemed to my eye to have just a hair better resolved detail. Whether the Aptus II has pushed back in the other direction is hard for me to say as I haven't yet done a direct comparison of files.

But considering it is the same sensor, and the chassis is at least very similar other than the FW800 port, I would expect any image quality differences would be minimal.

Steve Hendrix

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:15:57 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
Um, Anders, you do realize I sell Leaf, right? And have been for the past 8 years? I also sell Phase One but nowhere did I mention that the Leaf screen is worse than the Phase One screen, in fact didn't mention Phase One at all.

I'll stand by my assessment of the original Aptus screen - practically invisible in daylight. Yes, if you're not viewing in direct sun, it is better, dimly visible. I presume the time someone may shoot a good photo might be anytime...sort of depends on what one is trying to put across with the photo. In any event, shading is extremely helpful....on any screen. I even shade my 5DMK II.  

I didn't make any comment about functionality but I have always felt the functionality and the touch screen interface on the Aptus series was one of the best things Leaf has ever done.

So, whether the new screen is worth spending a few extra thousand, I can't answer that. It's better, no question about it. A new product would have brand new warranty, that's not a bad thing. In addition to warranty protection, it ensures that any firmware-based upgrades are compatible. And the capture speed is faster and sustained. Is the image quality better....or worse? Without comparing directly an Aptus to an Aptus II, but having seen files, I would say they're very similar. I did see a difference between Aptus and Aptus-S, the original Aptus seemed to my eye to have just a hair better resolved detail. Whether the Aptus II has pushed back in the other direction is hard for me to say as I haven't yet done a direct comparison of files.

But considering it is the same sensor, and the chassis is at least very similar other than the FW800 port, I would expect any image quality differences would be minimal.

Steve Hendrix

Steve, of course I know you sell Leaf   - and I know you are very helpful ! However, we disagree on the Leaf Aptus screen. Why I brought Phase One into my comment was because of my own experience when comparing at time for when I bought my Leaf the other year (Aptus was far easier to read than P30, part because bigger and better graphics, and far better info on it). At that time some other posters claimed that the Aptus screen was not usable in sunlight. I disagree, and that is my experience. I agree that it is important to look at price and what one get for that price. With used Aptus 65 being sold even as low as 6500 USD, used backs are actually rather a bargain, but it is important to verify that the back is in good condition.

I should add for the OP, that it can be worthwhile to check used prices of Aptus 22 and Aptus 65, same as also checking deals offered for new. When I bought my Aptus 65 it was cheaper used than Aptus 22, the reason being the marginally crop of sensor; 44x33mm vs. 48x36mm. While some photographers speak of larger sensor, there really is not much difference between these in actual sizes and both are crops of 645. The Aptus 65 is 28MP vs. 22MP for Aptus 22, and the Aptus 65 is newer sensor technology than Aptus 22 and exact same sensor as Aptus 75, save for being slight crop. Actually when I got my Aptus 65, a new one did not add that much to a used and thus made it worthwhile buying new, however $$ speaks . Best of luck!

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:19:11 am by Anders_HK »

archivue

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:52:36 am »

for architecture and movements the 22mp chip is better than the 28mp !

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 10:06:24 am »

Quote from: Anders_HK
Steve, of course I know you sell Leaf   - and I know you are very helpful ! However, we disagree on the Leaf Aptus screen. Why I brought Phase One into my comment was because of my own experience when comparing at time for when I bought my Leaf the other year (Aptus was far easier to read than P30, part because bigger and better graphics, and far better info on it). At that time some other posters claimed that the Aptus screen was not usable in sunlight. I disagree, and that is my experience. I agree that it is important to look at price and what one get for that price. With used Aptus 65 being sold even as low as 6500 USD, used backs are actually rather a bargain, but it is important to verify that the back is in good condition.

I should add for the OP, that it can be worthwhile to check used prices of Aptus 22 and Aptus 65, same as also checking deals offered for new. When I bought my Aptus 65 it was cheaper used than Aptus 22, the reason being the marginally crop of sensor; 44x33mm vs. 48x36mm. While some photographers speak of larger sensor, there really is not much difference between these in actual sizes and both are crops of 645. The Aptus 65 is 28MP vs. 22MP for Aptus 22, and the Aptus 65 is newer sensor technology than Aptus 22 and exact same sensor as Aptus 75, save for being slight crop. Actually when I got my Aptus 65, a new one did not add that much to a used and thus made it worthwhile buying new, however $$ speaks . Best of luck!

Regards
Anders

Anders:

I had similar experiences with the Aptus screen in terms of the size being a positive factor offsetting the lack of brightness. My main point is that the new screen is brighter and easier to see outside. I just personally just found the original Aptus screen difficult to see outside. However, when compared to brighter screens, users often still preferred the Leaf screen, and yes, mainly due to the size (and functionality). But I realized that size makes up for lack of brightness in the preference of many.

Regarding the choice of used Aptus 22 or new Aptus II 5, the wallet will have to speak. When budgeting for a below $10,000 digital back, even a thousand or several thousand can make a difference. But if the budget is there, I think the brighter screen, firmware compatibility, and full warranty are worth the difference in price.

Steve Hendrix
Pages: [1]   Go Up