Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B/W Printing via an Epson  (Read 1986 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
B/W Printing via an Epson
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:24:15 am »

For those who have also encountered the problem of B/W prints looking darker when printed directly from Lightroom to an Epson printer using the Advanced Black and White mode (darker, that is, than when the exported TIFF is printed via PS or another image editor) - Eric Chan has the explanation for this in an older thread here, and it is basically caused by a gamma mismatch. So my eyes were not deceiving me, and there is an issue.

There are two ways around it. If you are printing to the baryta based glossy papers as I am, the most neutral setting for PS printing in the ABW controls is "Dark". Resetting this for Lightroom output to "Normal" pretty much levels it to the output from PS set at "Dark". Almost. But even better is to download Eric's paper profiles from his site and use these to print from Lightroom, following his instructions (which are very clear). Although the profiles are for the 3800, they seem to work just fine on my 2400 too.

The link - http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...bwprofiles.html

Many thanks to Eric for all the work he has done on this, and for making the results available to the rest of us.

John
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:00:54 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

FrankG

Re: B/W Printing via an Epson
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:06:42 pm »

Thanks. I re-calibrated my monitor to a lower Luminance and now it seems ok
Pages: [1]   Go Up