Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airline Friendly 'Carry-on' Camera Bag  (Read 9914 times)

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
Airline Friendly 'Carry-on' Camera Bag
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:10:07 am »

Hi All,

can anyone recommend a carry-on bag for a 17" laptop, large MFDB and DSLR system?

Wondering what's the largest I can get away with?

It's for travel on all sorts of carriers so I need to assume that I will be flying on the 'stingiest' of carriers on some legs...

Cheers

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:33:15 am »

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
Hi All,

can anyone recommend a carry-on bag for a 17" laptop, large MFDB and DSLR system?

It's for travel on all sorts of carriers so I need to assume that I will be flying on the 'stingiest' of carriers on some legs...

Cheers

Murray

I use a £25 standard trolley with a Tamrac bag fitted inside (MF body, 2-3 lenses, 2 backs, 1 small DSLR, 1-2 lenses and batteries, chargers etc.) The laptop is in a cardboard sleeve sat on the top...easy to pull out for security and still have some room left for 2 nights worth of clothing. I'm on a low cost flight 1-2 times a week and so far no major issue other than weight limitations...(they put the removable "heavy" sticker on it hoping that you'll pay for extra weight at the gate...).

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

z0624

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:38:54 am »

Hi All,

Cheers

Murray

Hi Murray,
You could take a look at the Airport International V 2.0 by Think Tank Photo.  You have to get the low divider set so you can put your sleeved 17" laptop in the case (I usually have a second bag with laptop) but the bag is pretty well designed with photographers in mind.  This site is pretty helpful to see actual gear in a variety of bags.  http://www.cambags.com/

Regards

Jeffreytotaro

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:03 am »

I second the Think Tank bags.  I have the Airport International and the Airport Check In for the 15" computer.  Not sure if it will fit a 17", but they have other options.  Very well thought out bags!  The Check In will slide over the handle of the International for easy rolling of both bags.  Maybe get rid of the 17" computer and get a 15".  Many more options for bags.
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:56 am »

I'll third the Think Tank Airport International, though I too carry my laptop in a separate bag.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »

Am using a LowePro Vertex 200 backpack which takes the Rolleiflex Hy6 with two film magazines and digital back, Schneider 50 - 80 - 180 mm lenses with lens hoods attached, 1.4X extender, Metz 54 MZ flash, with room left for different accessories (charger, batteries etc). Also has separate pouch for a laptop, and lots of space for films and memory cards.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex...-AW,2073,16.htm
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:08:22 pm »

Please note that on smaller planes (ie. short haul and prop planes), you won't be allowed anything beyond a laptop case or a large purse even on major airlines - at least here in Europe. They'll put the carry-on to the hull at the gate, and you can (usually) collect it at the plane when it lands.

That's usually - I once had a case where the plane went straight to the gate upon landing, and carry-ons were delivered to the belt. I was not notified of this beforehand, but luckily my gear was unharmed.

Lesson: be prepared to divide your carry-on, to pocket anything you can do, and have a secondary small bag for the truly indispensable stuff. And if they tell you to put the carry-on in the hull, insist on them confirming you can pick it up at the tarmac when landing.

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:11:42 pm »

Keep weight in mind, esp on intl legs. Most real photo rollers weight 5kg empty. Yaya's suggestion is a good one as they're less likely to weigh a businessman style roller. It's all about appearance.

I have my eye on this one from Think Tank:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/air...camera-bag.aspx

It's more than 1kg lighter than any other good roller I've found (padding is thinner), and it doesn't look much different than business style rollers.
I don't know if there's a way to fit a 17" laptop easily (specs say it will hold a 15").

Edit - yes, bring a jacket with pockets on all flights.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:12:45 pm by asf »

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 03:16:13 pm »

Quote from: rolleiflexpages
Am using a LowePro Vertex 200 backpack which takes the Rolleiflex Hy6 with two film magazines and digital back, Schneider 50 - 80 - 180 mm lenses with lens hoods attached, 1.4X extender, Metz 54 MZ flash, with room left for different accessories (charger, batteries etc). Also has separate pouch for a laptop, and lots of space for films and memory cards.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex...-AW,2073,16.htm

I'm also using the Vertex 200. I'm not sure if it will hold a 17in laptop though. I think BH has it around 15in.

perbernal

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:25 pm »

Hi All,

Cheers

Murray

I strongly recommend Thinktanks Airport Ultra Light V2.5 backpack that you can fit inside a hardcase in combination with Thinktanks Urban Disguise 60. The back pack will fit two MFDB cameras and 4-6 lenses depending on size + chargers, batteries, cables etc (the lid can fit a 13 or 15 inch padded laptop or 17 without padding)   & fits in a small roller from Pelican or Stormcase. If you fly in small commuter planes you can always pull the backpack out of the case and have the hardcase checked at the gate. The Urban Disguise 60 is consider as a handbag and fits under the seat in front of you and easily carry a 17 inch laptop, 2 dslr´s, 2-3 lenses, pocket drives, charger etc. I constantly travel within the US and this combo has worked great regardless of size of planes and are also very discrete. I believe Thinktanks product line has been developed by actual photographer and the quality of the bags are first class. Good luck!

Best, Per Bernal

archivue

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 09:23:54 am »

about the Airport TakeOff by think tank

ID: 13”W x 18.5”H x 5.25 – 6.75”D (33 x 47 x 13 – 17cm)
ED: 14”W x 21”H x 8”D (35.5 x 53 x 22cm)

For low cost companies in europe, the hand luggage must be smaller than :
55x40x20cm

so the TakeOff model with his 22CM, is too big !

i didn't find any bag or case that was just in the right size : 55x40x20cm... still looking for the perfect case !

TechTalk

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 11:13:46 am »

Tenba Roadie Universal Rolling Photo/Laptop Case

External: 36cm x 51cm x 20cm

http://www.tenba.com/products/Roadies-Univ...aptop-Case.aspx
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:18:53 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 12:19:51 pm »

Quote from: archivue
about the Airport TakeOff by think tank

ID: 13”W x 18.5”H x 5.25 – 6.75”D (33 x 47 x 13 – 17cm)
ED: 14”W x 21”H x 8”D (35.5 x 53 x 22cm)

For low cost companies in europe, the hand luggage must be smaller than :
55x40x20cm

so the TakeOff model with his 22CM, is too big !

Hmm, I wonder if that's a typo on their site - 8" is closer to 20cm than 22cm, and the Airport Intl model lists the same 8" depth as 20cm. When I looked at both models next to each other the TakeOff appeared smaller overall. Next time I go to the store I'll try to remember to measure it. Anyway I would be willing to take the chance it's compressible enough to fit in the 20cm guide should it have to.

The trade off for the reduced weight is less padding, so while the Airport Intl is heavier it's also much sturdier and looks like it would protect better should you have to gate check.

I still use an old Lightware roller. It weighs less than a pound more than the Airport Intl but looks more like a camera case. I've been stopped on intl flights and asked to weigh it while businessmen with much larger overstuffed rollers waltz by. That's why I always keep a jacket with pockets and just repack afterwards.

I also like Per's suggestion - if your stuff fits it would get you through most scenarios.

BJNY

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 01:42:04 pm »

Quote from: asf
Hmm, I wonder if that's a typo on their site - 8" is closer to 20cm than 22cm, and the Airport Intl model lists the same 8" depth as 20cm.
When I looked at both models next to each other the TakeOff appeared smaller overall.
Next time I go to the store I'll try to remember to measure it.
Anyway I would be willing to take the chance it's compressible enough to fit in the 20cm guide should it have to.

I have a TakeOff, and it's mostly 8"
except where the backpack straps bulge out a bit.
Guillermo

RicAgu

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 11:34:45 am »

Murray,

I use almost exclusively Think Tank bags and have used them in the last 24 months to go to Colombia, Hungary, London, Austria, France and within the US.

I have used the Airport security and have always gotten away with getting on.  Air France gave me a bit of a problem last year, but once I opened it, asked for a manager and showed them what is inside they were totally cool.  Be careful what you wish for though.  This bag holds two H2's w/ digital backs, four H lenses, two Canon 1Ds Mark II's, three canon lenses (50, 85,& 24-70), six batteries for the PhaseOne, Six Batteries for the H Body, three Canon Batteries and all the chargers needed for all this.  Plus, four pocket drives and the 17" in the stretch pocket outside.  It WEIGHS a TON!  But if you need to travel with all this gear on it will work.  I have flown on large jets to local commuter puddle jumpers.

I got the Airport International about a year after heavy duty use of the security and it holds almost as much.  Minus one body of each system, two H lenses, one Canon Lens, and one HD.  But the rest of what I put up top fits in the International and I have never been questioned or stopped with this bag.  Other than the usual x-ray scan check.  Every time I go through it never fails that they do the bomb swab wand test.

The only other bag I liked out of the dozens of bags I have used are the Lowe Pro series.  The funny thing is one of the Principles of ThinkTank came from LowePro.  In my opinion they have come as close as you can to perfecting the camera bag.  The only other is a Gura Gear but it won't hold a laptop and it has no wheels.  A true backpack for trekkers. If you can stay on paved walkways then the no brainer is Think Tank.

best of luck.......
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:40:39 am by RicAgu »

arashm

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 01:33:15 pm »

My set up is also all think tank and some storm hard cases
for travelling I alternate between the Ultra light or Airport Acceleration for the camera gear.
my day in day out and travelling bag is the Urban disguise 60 which does fit a 17 inch laptop. This case houses all the digital/laptop components as well as my personal items.
This combo has worked perfectly for me.
I also do like the TT rollers.
as said above I think these bags are built great and designed very well.
I have never had any issues with flying both long range and small regional flights with this set up.
good luck with your travels
am

perbernal

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:21:41 pm »

Quote from: perbernal
I strongly recommend Thinktanks Airport Ultra Light V2.5 backpack that you can fit inside a hardcase in combination with Thinktanks Urban Disguise 60. The back pack will fit two MFDB cameras and 4-6 lenses depending on size + chargers, batteries, cables etc (the lid can fit a 13 or 15 inch padded laptop or 17 without padding)   & fits in a small roller from Pelican or Stormcase. If you fly in small commuter planes you can always pull the backpack out of the case and have the hardcase checked at the gate. The Urban Disguise 60 is consider as a handbag and fits under the seat in front of you and easily carry a 17 inch laptop, 2 dslr´s, 2-3 lenses, pocket drives, charger etc. I constantly travel within the US and this combo has worked great regardless of size of planes and are also very discrete. I believe Thinktanks product line has been developed by actual photographer and the quality of the bags are first class. Good luck!

Best, Per Bernal

Just wanted to add two images of the set-up I´ve used since the fall of 2009 (Thinktanks Airport Ultra Light V2.5 backpack) and that has replaced my previous Think Tank Rollers ( Airport International). Got cold feet when taking a commuter plane to Corpus Christi Texas where the crew wanted to check my rollers. Don´t want to go through that ordeal again. The back packs don´t fit quite as much but are OK to carry weight wise.

Best, Per

perbernal

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 03:36:23 pm »

Quote from: perbernal
Just wanted to add two images of the set-up I´ve used since the fall of 2009 (Thinktanks Airport Ultra Light V2.5 backpack) and that has replaced my previous Think Tank Rollers ( Airport International). Got cold feet when taking a commuter plane to Corpus Christi Texas where the crew wanted to check my rollers. Don´t want to go through that ordeal again. The back packs don´t fit quite as much but are OK to carry weight wise.

Best, Per

......... and here is what I usually carry in my Think Tank 60 laptop bag combined with either my medium format or 35 mm kit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up