Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gloss Media For Plexi Facemounting  (Read 19213 times)

deanwork

Gloss Media For Plexi Facemounting
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 08:49:21 pm »

Hi Sven,

That was an interesting paper. Thank you for posting it. I definitely learned some things from it.  But it was written 10 years ago and there have been some variants on it from what I gather in recent years.

I called Laumont in Ny last week, the most respected studio in the US doing this kind of large format presentation for NY galleries. They told me last week that they do specialize in the Diasec process  using Silicone and they even post such on their website, declaring it's superiority to other methods ( they do film face mounting also to totally smooth media). There are other variants around that also use silicone, and of course a lot of the film adhesive to face mount plexi that we were discussing the issues with this week on this thread.

Laumont told me something very interesting that I stated earlier, and that is that they often have the least problems with the Diasec face mounting on matte rag papers than to rc media. Don't ask me why but that is what the tech person who actually is in the shop doing it told me. So, this must be a revised version of the original. ( I'm sure someone on this list knows?). It was my impression that originally Diasec was for gloss prints only. What we saw of the Cibas and C prints in the early 80s and such.

I know one thing, face mounting to an even slightly textured media using the film pressure method is not going to happen at all from what I've read.

john

http://www.laumont.com/laumontStudio.html

Quote from: Sven W
Maybe this white paper makes some sense?
http://www.martinjuergens.net/Assets/downl...is_Juergens.pdf

What I understand is that true Diasec is under license protection and patended by Diasec Sovilla S.A. in Switzerland.
And that it was developed for photographic emulsions in the 60's, but beeing in someway changed or modified to fit more contemporary media.
Like our beloved pigment prints. That's my info from a mountingstudio with the license here in EU.
/Sven

Sven W

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 07:32:03 am »

Quote from: deanwork
Hi Sven,

That was an interesting paper. Thank you for posting it. I definitely learned some things from it.  But it was written 10 years ago and there have been some variants on it from what I gather in recent years.

Laumont told me something very interesting that I stated earlier, and that is that they often have the least problems with the Diasec face mounting on matte rag papers than to rc media. Don't ask me why but that is what the tech person who actually is in the shop doing it told me. So, this must be a revised version of the original. ( I'm sure someone on this list knows?). It was my impression that originally Diasec was for gloss prints only. What we saw of the Cibas and C prints in the early 80s and such.

john
http://www.laumont.com/laumontStudio.html

Yes, the report is a bit out-of-date, but a good overview on the technique.

But who wants to facemount a matte cottonrag on a superglossy plexi ??
My Diasec-contact told me that when they where unsure about the medias performance together with the silicon, they tested to laminate the print first.
In that way, they had a great control over the process for different medias/papers. E.g. Hahnemühle Photo Rag, Harman, Ilford Gold Fibre Silk et al.
/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

jaq

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 06:17:57 am »

Hi all,

did somebody try to do the Diasec Silicone mounting on Plexiglass already as DIY? What kind of Silicone is the best? What Primer is used? A rollerlaminator seems to be more than useful.

Thanks, Jaq
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:25:09 am by jaq »

coreydwinnell

• http://www.bumblejax.com
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 03:02:31 pm »

We have an HP Designjet Z6100 and print on nothing but Ilford Satin Photobase. Our results are great. As a test, I printed the same file on a gloss and satin stock (this was on HP's material) and once face-mounted behind plexiglass, I could see no difference at all. We face-mount to .25" plexiglass and use a 3mm black siintra as our backer--you can check us out at www.bumblejax.com for more info.

Corey
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:02:58 pm by coreydwinnell »
corey dwinnell
www.bumblejax.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up