Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth Paper Problem  (Read 5186 times)

RonGans

I have an Epson 3800; printing on Epson papers is easy. But trying to print Hahnemuhle papers can send me to the ER. Each time I try to load paper into the back slot (for VFA paper), it's a long struggle with "paper skewed," or "Paper jam" (never true), or just Load Error. This can go on for 10 minutes.

Is there a recommended platen gap or other settings that can help? Am I the only one who is in agony over this?

Thanks.

RON

RonGans

Epson 3800 and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth Paper Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:40:24 pm »

Quote from: RonGans
I have an Epson 3800; printing on Epson papers is easy. But trying to print Hahnemuhle papers can send me to the ER. Each time I try to load paper into the back slot (for VFA paper), it's a long struggle with "paper skewed," or "Paper jam" (never true), or just Load Error. This can go on for 10 minutes.

Is there a recommended platen gap or other settings that can help? Am I the only one who is in agony over this?

Thanks.

RON
Is there anyone who has a suggestion? Printing via the rear-manual slot is unbelievably painful and I don't know what to do. Paper Skew; Paper Jam, Paper Error; then...after 10 minutes of cursing, it prints. Has to be a better way.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »

Is there anyone who has a suggestion? Printing via the rear-manual slot is unbelievably painful and I don't know what to do. Paper Skew; Paper Jam, Paper Error; then...after 10 minutes of cursing, it prints. Has to be a better way.
It's a feel thing ... I have a 2880 ... it took a while to get it down, but now mine load almost every time ... I can sympathize.

Once I do get a jam, I find that turning it off and then back on again before resuming printing helps avoid serial "phantom" jam errors ... sometimes, once it jams, it thinks every attempt is jammed until I power cycle.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:51:16 am »

You need to set the platen width to wide and as was noted by Jeremy it's somewhat of a feel thing to get the paper to take up.  Additionally, you should brush both the front and rear of the paper with a dusting brush before feeding it.  A big problem with matte papers is the amount of dust that coats the rollers contributing to misfeeds.  Periodic use of a inkjet printer cleaning paper will remove residual dust.

RonGans

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:15:27 am »

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
You need to set the platen width to wide and as was noted by Jeremy it's somewhat of a feel thing to get the paper to take up.  Additionally, you should brush both the front and rear of the paper with a dusting brush before feeding it.  A big problem with matte papers is the amount of dust that coats the rollers contributing to misfeeds.  Periodic use of a inkjet printer cleaning paper will remove residual dust.
I will try that, the dusting; also, setting the width to wide and I'll get the cleaning paper today.

THANKS VERY MUCH.

RonGans

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:31 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
It's a feel thing ... I have a 2880 ... it took a while to get it down, but now mine load almost every time ... I can sympathize.

Once I do get a jam, I find that turning it off and then back on again before resuming printing helps avoid serial "phantom" jam errors ... sometimes, once it jams, it thinks every attempt is jammed until I power cycle.
I did get those serial errors; couldn't tell if they were phantom or not. How can one produce a lot of prints this way? Just can't figure.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:33:50 am »

I print with Photo Rag on a 3800 with almost no problems. I always start the feed with two hands, which can be a pain with larger paper due to the output tray, but it helps keep the paper straight. I have the platen opened on size wider than normal.

The rear feed on a 3800 is different than most other printers. The paper has to be inserted until you feel some resistance. You keep pressure on the paper until the printer grabs it (you might know this, but thought to add it anyway) and pulls it into position. You can feed the paper either before or after you hit the print button.
"The real voyage of discove

RonGans

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 09:50:25 am »

Oddly, neither B&H nor Adorama sell Epson Inkjet Cleaning Sheets. Any idea where in NYC I can get some?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »

Oddly, neither B&H nor Adorama sell Epson Inkjet Cleaning Sheets. Any idea where in NYC I can get some?
I think Staples and other office supply stores carry generic cleaning sheets which should work.  I ordered mine directly from Epson:  cleaning sheet  Even though your printer is not listed it works with it.

Murph

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 12:14:09 pm »

+1 agree here.  I dust all my matte papers with a large artists brush before loading them into my 4880.  And for the most part it is "feel" for loading papers via the rear slot.  

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer

RonGans

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:16:02 pm »

I am in Epson hell. Platen gap is wide; doesn't do a thing for the situation. I get Paper Error; that can last about a minute. Then, there is some motor sound and if I put the paper back in, it's just ejected and then, Paper Error again. This is after I turned it off and back on. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong. There is a graphic with the No. 5 on the read out. Does that help?

I am actually completely unable to print. I took off the back feeder; doesn't matter. I tried feeding it into the horizontal slot in the back; doesn't matter. Just get an endless cycle of Paper Skew; Paper Jam, Paper Error; Remove Paper, blah blah.

OK, I was using Custom Paper Type 5 which for me was Fine Art. I changed it to 4, Matte Thick, and a Standard Platen Gap, no drying time, no adjustments. And while NOW it TAKES THE PAPER OK, there is ink on the right edge of the paper. What could cause that? Platen Gap? Or...?

Thanks.

RON
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:04:40 pm by RonGans »
Pages: [1]   Go Up