Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digiback focus reliability on RZ67 and 500series  (Read 2118 times)

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
Digiback focus reliability on RZ67 and 500series
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:22:22 pm »

What's the deal with this? i've read mention of issues w/ focus on these systems but, would like to know extent of problem.  would love to hear some personal experiences in regard to focus accuracy w/ digibacks on RZ and 500 series.....Are tolerances on these systems not as tight as the integrated solutions?  do they require calibration, etc......basically how big of an issue is it.

i do not like h system or afd and already own above two systems. sync cable running out of back does not bother me and i quite like the simplicity and lack of electronic/tech.

note to dealers:  please do not contact w/ offers to demo/test/rent or inquire about needs.

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:34:43 pm »

I don't have a problem with my 503, i just had to get used to focusing with it, and maybe take a bit more time focusing it right. Film was more forgiving. I don't have problems working on a tripod. Sometimes camera shake occur <1/125sec, but that's an other problem.
But, of course i may be possible to get an less then perfect copy of a 500 series, some of these second hand bodies are 20-30 years old, they have been heavily used by professionel for years, and accurancy may not be what it once was.
in my case i rarely get bad focused pictures with my 120 or 180 on tripod. I do get less then perfectly sharp pictures with the 80mm handheld, but here, this can be my shooting technique, mirror slap, camera shake and 1/60sec sometimes.

tom

Cfranson

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 04:46:53 pm »

Quote from: Brady
What's the deal with this? i've read mention of issues w/ focus on these systems but, would like to know extent of problem.  would love to hear some personal experiences in regard to focus accuracy w/ digibacks on RZ and 500 series.....Are tolerances on these systems not as tight as the integrated solutions?  do they require calibration, etc......basically how big of an issue is it.
I've seen instances of focus variation in 500 series cameras when I was setting up digital backs (Sinar eMotion backs used to include an interface plate that needed to be shimmed for proper focus) but keep in mind that these Hasselblad bodies have been around a long time and who knows what they've all been subjected to. It would probably be worth getting them checked and adjusted if necessary. Hasselblad has its "check to spec" program which offers inspection and minor adjustments at a reasonable price.

Nick-T

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:03:10 pm »

Quote from: Cfranson
I've seen instances of focus variation in 500 series cameras when I was setting up digital backs (Sinar eMotion backs used to include an interface plate that needed to be shimmed for proper focus) but keep in mind that these Hasselblad bodies have been around a long time and who knows what they've all been subjected to. It would probably be worth getting them checked and adjusted if necessary. Hasselblad has its "check to spec" program which offers inspection and minor adjustments at a reasonable price.
We used to manually shim our 500 series by putting acetate between the adaptor plate and digi back. You can also adjust the ground  glass position to compensate. I have also seen a Hasselblad technician give a 500CM body a solid whack with a mallet to square it up.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

TMARK

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 05:07:14 pm »

I use an RZ with a Leaf 54s back.  On one RZ body everything was spot on, the other (newer) body required calibration of the focus screen.  I never noticed it with film.  

The RZ has really great mirror dampening, too bad its so huge.  The magnifier covers the crop area really well, so the crop is only depressing when looking into the finder w/o the magnifier.  

T

pschefz

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 05:41:40 pm »

i used a P30 on the RZ...this is the smaller sensor, with the loupe down, i could see the entire image/crop easily....i did not have any problems with the back not being aligned, getting focus (especially with moving people) is hit and miss though....
i had the RZDII and the phase rotating adapter....no cables, no adjustments necessary....tried several phase backs on the same camera, no problems.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »

I shoot exclusively Rz with AFi backs, previously A75s, A75, P25 all the way back to 6MP DB.
Every Rz I ever used with DB required some adjustment for specific digital back. It is easily done by turning 3 screws under the screen while shooting tethered until the point that focus which you see through camera matches 100% focus on a computer screen. It takes 20 minutes and it is best done on a split focusing screen.  I never had to readjust it once it is done and I shoot thousands of frames monthly.
I find focus on Rz superior to any other system. I shoot only models, mostly 2.8 - 4.0  and have a 95% focus rate.

http://andrenapier.com
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:12:21 pm by AndreNapier »

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:42 pm »

thank you very much people.

archivue

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:01:59 am »

i have a 503CW and a 501CM... i'm using a 50CFe, 80CB, 100CFi with an aptus 22.
the acute matte is the D with grid... no problem at all !
Pages: [1]   Go Up