Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo Wide DS - 35 or 47?  (Read 2091 times)

JonathanBenoit

Cambo Wide DS - 35 or 47?
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:33:18 pm »

I'm going to be renting this camera because it seems to be the most cost efficient rental for architectural photography. I've recently made the switch from 35mm digital to a Hasselblad DB. I'm looking for a similar view to that of a 24mm on the 35mm format. How much wider is the Schneider 35 than the 47? I am assuming the 47 is sharper.

Any first hand experience?

Thanks

ixpressraf

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:04:59 pm »

Hello Jonathan, I am not speaking without a favor for the 47mm( as I have a sDS set for sale here at LL) but I had the same dilemma when i purshased my Cambo Wide DS. Something tath is often forgotten is that the closer you have to stand to a building, the less interesting it gets as you lose all normal, dynamic view. I tested both lenses on several locations and came to the conclusion that the 47mm was the most versitile lens of them. In cases were the 47mm was not wide enough i simple stiched two images together, only a few seconds of work.

rhsu

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »

I agree with "Ixpressraf" about the 47xl.

I used it with my Cambo 23D before I got my RS.  I have yet to test with my RS because I am deciding which to convert to - a std or TS plate or sell.  I use mainly my HR28 and HR35.  With HR28, I crop them to get what I want, but I would NOT attempt outdoor buildings with HR28.  But my HR35 has produced good results against my 39mp.

Also, bear in mind which DB you will be using ie P25/45/65.  Different DBs have different sensor pixel sizes that may have adverse effect when push too hard with the Digitar lenses - mainly because of the extreme large IC.

DO NOT USE Hasselblad DB - primarily timing issue - notwithstanding the double action cable - still has severe sensor colour cast!  If Hasselblad a MUST, then try to hire a CF version.  I find it has lesser issues (just don't know why) - most of all, at least you have lesser cables hanging off the unit!

So try to hire a HR35 (IC 70mm).  Better yet, hire a HR40 (IC 90mm) - at least you have greater movements when stuck in a confined space.

Lastly, hire a PhaseOne camera with their new LF lenses - "point-n-shoot"!    At least the LF lenses are newly designed by Schneider with finer line resolution that "others".

Enjoy...

rhsu

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit
... I'm looking for a similar view to that of a 24mm on the 35mm format...

BTW:  From Linos/Rodenstock:

"A remarkable feature of the HR Digaron-W 40 mm f/4 (with a
focal length equivalent to 26.5 mm for 35 mm format) is the
long back focal length of approx. 25 mm. It leaves free space
for shift and tilt movements between the rear mount and the
sensor to avoid touching it or the rear standard."

NB about shifting with WA large IC:

"The shorter focal length of wide-angle lenses causes larger
light incident angles at the margin of the image. This results in
some blur because of astigmatism, spherical aberration and
color fringes produced by the protection glass of a thickness
of approx. 2 mm in front of the light-sensitive sensor plane.
This can be visible with high resolution sensors. Therefore, the
optical effects of this glass plate have been taken into consideration
for the calculation of the lenses HR Digaron-W 40 mm
f/4, 50 mm f/4 and 70 mm f/5.6."

This is why I kept my HR35 on std plate and avoided any movements.  My HR40mm is movements.

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:54:03 pm by rhsu »

archivue

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »

i've heard that the 40 W is prone to flare ?

First i've bought a 55, then i went for a 35... finally my most used lense is the 45, but sometimes i really need the 35 !

the 35 on a 36x48 sensor is similar to a 24 in 24x36.

using stitching with the 45, if you cover 48x72 then the angle of view is really similar to the 35 without stitching... but with the 45 and stiching, you won't have tons of movements then !

adammork

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »

If I had to choose one lens for my alpa's it will be the 35xl - no doubt....

/adam

rhsu

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:42:22 pm »

Quote from: archivue
i've heard that the 40 W is prone to flare ?

No flare with my lens yet on 39mp.  It better not be - I'll returned under warranty.  Maybe with 60mp chips (?)  But then again, I rarely shoot into the sun and avoid as must as possible strong reflection.  Perhaps the lens hood had helped - I don't know.  But then again... anything is possible "even fish drown"

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:08:36 pm »

Repeating things one has heard on internet forums, without actually having experience, is the how a lot of rumors get started and are perpetuated.

The rodenstock 40 is a very new lens, not too many people will have experience with it. I haven't used the 40 but from Linos' published info it would appear to have some moustache distortion. If I was interested in this lens I'd test it first to see if that distortion was objectionable.

As for your original question both the 47 and the 35 schneider lenses are extremely useful for arch subjects. Perhaps I use the 35 more than the 47, but I find both necessary.
The 35 on a 36x48 sensor gives a very similar view to a 24 on ff35. Both of these schneider lenses have very low distortion.

Most importantly you should make sure your Hasselblad back is appropriate for use with this type of camera. If not these lenses will cause you a lot of headaches, esp with movements.

rhsu

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:11 pm »

Quote from: asf
Repeating things one has heard on internet forums, without actually having experience, is the how a lot of rumors get started and are perpetuated.

Most importantly you should make sure your Hasselblad back is appropriate for use with this type of camera. If not these lenses will cause you a lot of headaches, esp with movements.

...AMEN!
Pages: [1]   Go Up