Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loupe for 6x6 negatives/slides  (Read 7488 times)

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
Loupe for 6x6 negatives/slides
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:50:47 pm »

Dear all:

I am in need of a loupe/magnifier for 6x6 and 6x4.5 MF negatives and slides. My choice goes between Schneider 3X or Rodenstock 3X aspherical. They both seem to have their advantages. The sliding base of the Rodenstock seems very handy (no lost parts). But I also read there would be some cushion-distortion towards the edges.

It is hard to find comparisons between those two. Views would be appreciated. Thanks.
Pascal

PS used the Schneider 6X aspherical for 35mm negatives/slides in the past and was very happy with it
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

MamiyaZdUser

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:01:08 pm by MamiyaZdUser »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:18:59 pm »

I'm wondering why you don't use the rollei schneider magnifying hood -  part # 59 551, with base 63 048?  This finder doubles as loupe as well as chimney finder and comes with translucent white and black skirts to use on light tables or whatever when not mounted on the camera.  
 [attachment=20792:rollei_m...ing_hood.jpg]
Rolleiflex USA

pschefz

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
I'm wondering why you don't use the rollei schneider magnifying hood -  part # 59 551, with base 63 048?  This finder doubles as loupe as well as chimney finder and comes with translucent white and black skirts to use on light tables or whatever when not mounted on the camera.  

had that combo for the 6008...actually had the loupe first, then bought the finder....great loupe, great solution....
schefz.com
artloch.com

rolleiflexpages

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:04:30 am »

Hi Eric,

thanks for the hint. The thought had crossed my mind for a moment but I believed that would be a much more expensive solution than getting a proper Schneider 3X loupe. I do not really need the magnifier to be used on the 6008AF; it would only be for use as loupe. Any idea about optical quality and price of the Rollei solution?
Pascal

rolleiflexpages

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:06:50 am »

Quote from: EPd
Optically the Schneider is the better of the two. The cushion projection of the Rodenstock is very annoying. I clearly remember the first time I looked through the Rodenstock and how disappointed I was with that distortion. The Schneider is virtually straight en sharp into the outer corners and I have never seen CA with it.

Glad to read a clear view on the matter. Amazing that the Rodenstock does have such distortion at the edges. Guess that disqualifies it.
PS Forgive my ignorance but what does "CA" mean?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:43:08 am »

Quote from: rolleiflexpages
Hi Eric,

thanks for the hint. The thought had crossed my mind for a moment but I believed that would be a much more expensive solution than getting a proper Schneider 3X loupe. I do not really need the magnifier to be used on the 6008AF; it would only be for use as loupe. Any idea about optical quality and price of the Rollei solution?
Pascal

Pascal,
I bought mine used for something close to $300 with the base and all parts for both loupe and finder.  This rollei part is made by schneider and my understanding is this the same quality as their better loupes.
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 06:02:07 am »

Pascal,
I bought mine used for something close to $300 with the base and all parts for both loupe and finder.  This rollei part is made by schneider and my understanding is this the same quality as their better loupes.
Eric

Eric has great luck finding things. I paid more for mine, and ultimately had to get the loupe half from Germany and the base from Denmark....but am very happy with it. It really is a wonderful match for the 6008 - great focusing range, crisp, and covers the whole field. Add to that "convertability", and its worth it.

Geoff
Geoff

rolleiflexpages

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:21:23 pm »

Quote from: EPd
The glass in the Rollei loupe is 100% identical to the glass in the Schneider loupe (both are made by Schneider). Originally the Schneider loupe even looked the same. The only difference with the Rollei version were two small screws in the top part of the Rollei version to be able to hook it to the magnifier base for the 6000 series cameras. These screws were added in the Rollei factory. Later on the housing of the Schneider was redesigned to the look it has now. But the glass has stayed the same.

Indeed, I was informed by DHW today that the Rollei loupe is an OEM'ed Schneider.

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 04:49:52 pm »

Mamiya also make a beautiful 6x7 loupe, although I've been searching for one and they are hard to find for sale -

Pages: [1]   Go Up