Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After the tsunami topic  (Read 2553 times)

fredjeang

After the tsunami topic
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:00:51 pm »

Hi everybody.

The DR numbers missiles have shuted up and battle camp has been wisely closed.
Maybe it is an oportunity to re-orientate this passionate debate in something less emotional?
I do not know but hope so.

I end, expressing my desire to see in these kind of topics, more women like the Tokengirl's intervention that really brought some humor and wised fun.
It would be nice that women does not stay away from these kind of debates, I think their apportations will truly contribute to soften angles and bring more light.

Cheers,

Fred.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:49:20 am by fredjeang »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
After the tsunami topic
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:07 pm »

Fred,

You should apply for a position at the UN.

Don't overlook the fact that things don't just happen naturally. Ideas are seeds that are planted for a reason, the concensus that remains is often the everage between the most extreme positions being expressed, regardless of their actual relevance. The withdrawal doesn't change this much.

Ideas have consequences, or at least some ideas have consequences.

Now, the real question that hasn't been discussed until now is: why were such extreme claims made in March 2010?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:34:06 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Ray

After the tsunami topic
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Now, the real question that hasn't been discussed until now is: why were such extreme claims made in March 2010?

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard,
That sounds like a subject for another topic which is destined to be closed   .

I'm naturally suspicious of claims that are not supported by evidence. I've been accused of quoting DXO Mark too often. My response to such criticism is that the DXO results are the most reliable evidence I have available to me, regarding 35mm format versus MFDB. Heresay and subjective reports, especially from people who have invested lots of money into their equipment in order to further their business interests, tend not to be reliable.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
After the tsunami topic
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07:25 pm »

There has been a most illuminating post by ejmartin in the Cameras Forum Here that sheds more than a spotlight on the issue of DR and DXO.

I personally found it extremely informative - required reading even. His post is probably the best place for continued discussion on the topic (just to avoid multiple threads).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:11:41 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
After the tsunami topic
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:37 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
There has been a most illuminating post by ejmartin in the Cameras Forum Here that sheds more than a spotlight on the issue of DR and DXO.

I personally found it extremely informative - required reading even. His post is probably the best place for continued discussion on the topic (just to avoid multiple threads).

The one goes back to the question of whether 6 stops is true or not (it appears it is not since he sees at most 0.2 stops...).

While interesting in its own right, I am still wondering why this whole story came up in the first place.

By the way, Pentax themselves quote 11.5 stops as DR for the new Pentax using the latest Kodak sensor.

Cheers,
Bernard

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
After the tsunami topic
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:40:45 am »

Quote from: Josh-H

I agree. And yet, based on the logical conclusions from his analysis, I'm sure there will be folks who dismiss this as yet more meaningless scientific theory, to be dismissed because it doesn't match their own personal experience of real-world shooting...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:41:08 am by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up